Three concentric shells, one uncharged (Potential)

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss' theorem to calculate the charge on a middle shell with a given potential of 1 kV. The solution involves integrating the electric fields between the shells and using this to determine the charge on the middle shell, instead of simply using the formula kQb/Rbo.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I'm confused as to how I am supposed to use these 3 electric fields, E1, E2 and E3, as well as the potential of the middle shell, V = 1kV (with reference point at infinity), to calculate the charge on the middle shell, [tex]q_{mid}[/tex]

I know I should be doing some integration over the electric fields in order to get the potential, but it's not obvious to me what path I should take to only have the potential of the middle shell.

The solution gives it as from c to d, and then from e to infinity.

Why so?

Can someone clarify? Is the picture I drew incorrect?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Q1.77.JPG
    Q1.77.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 502
  • AT1.77.JPG
    AT1.77.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote an expression for the field inside the middle shell which you know can't be right, since the E field inside a conductor is zero.

But you have the right idea in using Gauss' theorem. Use it for the spaces between the shells, and integrate the E fields accordingly to get the potentials. Call the charge on the middle shell Qb for the moment.

Then, you need to compute Qb given the middle shell's potential as 1 kV. Careful how you do this, it isn't just kQb/Rbo where k = 9e9 and Rbo is the outer radius of the middle shell (why not?).

What is the concept of three concentric shells with one uncharged potential?

The concept of three concentric shells with one uncharged potential is a model used to describe the distribution of electric charge in a system. The system consists of three spherical shells, with the innermost and outermost shells being charged and the middle shell remaining uncharged. Due to the presence of the charged shells, an electric potential is created within the system.

How is the electric potential calculated in this system?

The electric potential in this system is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell. The total potential in the system is the sum of the potentials from each individual shell.

What is the significance of the uncharged middle shell?

The uncharged middle shell serves as a neutral buffer between the two charged shells. It allows for the electric potential to be evenly distributed throughout the system, without any interference from the charges on the inner and outer shells. This model is often used in physics experiments to study the effects of electric potential on different materials.

Can this model be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, this model can be applied to real-world scenarios. For example, the earth's atmosphere can be considered as a system with three concentric shells - the ionosphere, the mesosphere, and the troposphere. The ionosphere and mesosphere have charged particles, while the troposphere remains uncharged. This model helps to explain the electric potential and electric fields in the atmosphere.

What are some limitations of this model?

One limitation of this model is that it assumes the shells are perfectly spherical and have uniform charge distribution. In reality, this may not always be the case. Additionally, this model does not take into account the effects of external electric fields on the system. It is also a simplified model and may not accurately represent complex systems with multiple charges and potential sources.