Why does running make people feel better?

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, the conversation discusses the release of endorphins in the brain during and after physical exertion. It is believed that endorphins are released to suppress pain and allow for continued physical activity in situations of danger or high stress. Some participants in the conversation suggest that endorphins may also be released during intense exercise, but the "high" feeling is not noticed until after the activity has stopped. The exact mechanism for the release of endorphins and their effects on the body are still not fully understood.
jammieg
Why does it do this? I read that endorphins are released in the brain, these are opium like chemicals that give a sense of pleasure, and after prolonged physical exertion of some sort they are released in large doses, why does that happen? Not just directly after or during exercise but hours later it is still a bit there and I'm wondering if anyone knows why or how this works. :tongue2:

Biology news on Phys.org
Assuming, perhaps, they you are being chased by a predator.. the likelihood of you being injured are quite high, the need for you to keep running without the associated tiredness fatigue are also high..

That's where endorphins come in, they allow to you supress the pain and keep on running or hide (rest), and still be able to run within a short period of time.

Jikx is right on the money. Endorphins cause a euphoric effect after your body calms down from a jog or run. It's very similar to the usage of marijuana, but not as intense.

So why don't endorphins get released just during a tough run (if their idea is to make running somehow easier) ? I seem to be getting an overdose of lactic acid every time and could use some during rather than after ...

PerennialII, if your muscles go sour because of lactic acid, you probably need to give more attention to your warm-up! When you warm-up properly before an excersize, your muscles will have a better supply of blood and thus oxygen. A good warming-down is important too, so that the lactic acid has a chance to get out of the muscle and be broken down.

I think that jogging makes you feel so much better, since you get a good cardiovascular work-out: more blood is reaching your brain and general organs. This is what's making you more fit.

PerennialII, if your muscles go sour because of lactic acid, you probably need to give more attention to your warm-up! When you warm-up properly before an excersize, your muscles will have a better supply of blood and thus oxygen. A good warming-down is important too, so that the lactic acid has a chance to get out of the muscle and be broken down.

I think that jogging makes you feel so much better, since you get a good cardiovascular work-out: more blood is reaching your brain and general organs. This is what's making you more fit.

I think I have a "bad habit" of pushing it a bit too much :biggrin: .

Good move Kerrie, if it were up to me everything would be philosophy.

"So why don't endorphins get released just during a tough run (if their idea is to make running somehow easier) ?"-PerrenialII
I'll bet some do, I don't know for sure but it feels that way but mainly it's afterward, still that's a revealing question...I mean if it were a predator adrenaline would be the number 1 drug, why all the time delay with the opiates? You know what, pain is supposed to tell me when to stop doing something and yet in a life or death fleeing situation pain is going to hurt more than help...but with opiates released by the brain the feeling of pain can be lessened even changed and perceived as the opposite maybe...but how does the brain know what type situation and how much opiate chemicals to release?

"So why don't endorphins get released just during a tough run (if their idea is to make running somehow easier) ?"-PerrenialII
I'll bet some do, I don't know for sure but it feels that way but mainly it's afterward, still that's a revealing question...I mean if it were a predator adrenaline would be the number 1 drug, why all the time delay with the opiates? You know what, pain is supposed to tell me when to stop doing something and yet in a life or death fleeing situation pain is going to hurt more than help...but with opiates released by the brain the feeling of pain can be lessened even changed and perceived as the opposite maybe...but how does the brain know what type situation and how much opiate chemicals to release?

Yeah, I 2nd the theory that some do get released during a run, for example if you're really pushing the envelope during a run, but then in the midst of all that decrease your speed a bit, it quite often feels like you can get some of the same "high" as after a run (even if you then decide to hit the pedal again). I'm not quite sure how to differentiate numbning from all this ... the first few kms/miles are always the toughest after which the pain of it subsides quite a bit. Or the fact that muscles just start to work better after a while. But I don't really have anything to offer on how the brain "knows" what it's doing ... the "opiate rush" usually takes at least minutes of inactivity to develop so perhaps that is what triggers it, wouldn't mind having it during the ordeal.

I don't really know a good answer to this; running has never made me feel better!

That "numbing" sensation you describe would probably be due to the analgesic effects of the opioids. The comment that you don't really notice the "high" until after you stop or if you slow down is interesting. I'm thinking of...um...personal experience with alcohol. If I'm up and dancing and doing stuff, I don't even notice how much I've been drinking, but sit down for 5 min, even if I'm no longer drinking, and it hits all at once. You've prompted me to want to delve into the literature a bit more on this to see if there's something about exercise that would keep you from feeling the effects of drugs or alcohol.

I don't think it feels good because you went for a run. I think you feel good because you've stopped running. I drive my truck to the little Mexican resturant next door, and it shares a wall with my building.

I don't know the evolutionary justification for it, but the runner's high is definitely caused by endorphin release. I doubt it serves to keep us running from predators, because we already have the "fight-or-flight" response for that. The effect does have an analgesic aspect to it, but whether or not that is an intended effect is unknown.

It should be noted that a researcher at the James H. Quillen College of Medicine is actually advocating exercise therapy as a relief for PMS, contending that the increased levels of endorphins found in the blood of those who exercise frequently can relieve symptoms. This may point to why the effect occurs: it could just be an added incentive to exercise. I can testify as a former cross-country runner that the associated "high" was definitely part of the reason I ran.

So what levels - and types - of exercise are necessary to get a definite high? Do swimmers get it (for example)? How about a vigourous day's bushwalking ('hiking')? Is there much variation between individuals? by age?

You know, I'm not really sure. I'll see if I can find the study I looked at. I can tell you that I've gotten the same feeling from all of those activities. I would imagine there is some variation between individuals, just as there is some variation in pain thresholds and aerobic ability and other factors related to exercise.

I don't really know a good answer to this; running has never made me feel better!

That "numbing" sensation you describe would probably be due to the analgesic effects of the opioids. The comment that you don't really notice the "high" until after you stop or if you slow down is interesting. I'm thinking of...um...personal experience with alcohol. If I'm up and dancing and doing stuff, I don't even notice how much I've been drinking, but sit down for 5 min, even if I'm no longer drinking, and it hits all at once. You've prompted me to want to delve into the literature a bit more on this to see if there's something about exercise that would keep you from feeling the effects of drugs or alcohol.

So essentially before a run I should pick up a few shots, sit down and then start running in order to get the maximum result with minimum effort ... there is actually quite a bit of similarity between these two phenomenon. I think it sounds reasonable that there is a sort of a lag in the analgesic effect when you start running, body responses after a while of constant pain trying to hammer to you to do something else. Interesting, wonder if you're working near your maximum heartrate would have an effect like that, wouldn't feel the effects different substances have.

it could just be an added incentive to exercise. I can testify as a former cross-country runner that the associated "high" was definitely part of the reason I ran.

Yeah, the poor man's way of getting high is a big part of it for me as well.

So what levels - and types - of exercise are necessary to get a definite high? Do swimmers get it (for example)? How about a vigourous day's bushwalking ('hiking')? Is there much variation between individuals? by age?

I think of it similarly as loseyourname did above, type of exercise as long as it has an endurance element in it and is as intensive as possible promotes the high. The "problem" of it is that as with related substances, you need ever more harder exercises to get the same rush, which once you start to be in shape makes it pretty dreadful.

jammieg

i read recently that bungee jumping is helping some heroin addicts stay clean. maybe tying them to a treadmill at top speed going through withdrawal would be a good idea :devil:

yes, methadone helps curb physical withdrawal. i never connected that it's the lack of endorphins that makes it so difficult to remain clean until the brain rearranges itself if ever.

I'll share some ideas that are currently being discussed by some of the faculty here, but keep in mind, this is untested right now, and I don't want to go into experimental details because my colleagues are concerned about competitors scooping this work. So, I just want to shed some light on what some current thinking is, but this may turn out to be completely wrong as it's tested over the next year or so. It's based on both anectdotal reports and seemingly contradictory results of some experiments that are trying to be sorted out.

There is some thinking that very positive rewards, particularly natural rewards (in this case, they have been addressing sexual behavior), may have a protective effect on drug addictions. In other words, someone who has another positive experience (reward) prior to trying drugs may not be as easily addicted as someone who is not getting these positive rewards. I hope I've explained that clearly. It seems to me that a runner's high may fall into this category of natural rewards. Drugs of abuse act through similar pathways as natural rewards, but something remains different that makes them truly addictive. There are people working on understanding these differences as well. If we can understand what is different between a reward induced by a natural behavior than a reward induced by a drug of abuse, we may find some insights to help us treat addiction.

But, like I said, this is still untested, so don't take this as fact.

monkeys

Moonbeam

If a monkey is given an opiate he too will nod won't he? Over time anyone will get hooked. Right? Cellibate or sexually active. I do know that cellibacy is an extremely powerful mode.

I think the only way to combat it would be to address the issues that lead one to it. That would be impossible at this point in time on earth. I know I have detoured from the runner-endorphine high. oops.

Many equate sexuality with "god" (the protective measure) so maybe that's why 12 step programs work? On second thought if that was the case NA would have a 100 % recovery rate and it doesn't. It is an interesting topic. :smile:

rightbrained

MoonbeaR oops again.

There is some thinking that very positive rewards, particularly natural rewards (in this case, they have been addressing sexual behavior), may have a protective effect on drug addictions. In other words, someone who has another positive experience (reward) prior to trying drugs may not be as easily addicted as someone who is not getting these positive rewards. I hope I've explained that clearly. It seems to me that a runner's high may fall into this category of natural rewards. Drugs of abuse act through similar pathways as natural rewards, but something remains different that makes them truly addictive. There are people working on understanding these differences as well. If we can understand what is different between a reward induced by a natural behavior than a reward induced by a drug of abuse, we may find some insights to help us treat addiction.

But, like I said, this is still untested, so don't take this as fact.

Got to say sounds pretty novel but irrespective of its correctness, a really interesting concept. Verifying something like this may be a tougher cookie than usual.

PerennialII said:
Got to say sounds pretty novel but irrespective of its correctness, a really interesting concept. Verifying something like this may be a tougher cookie than usual.

I've seen of the experimental plans, and it's not much tougher than any other neuroscience research, at least for the initial animal studies. Translating that to humans is something entirely different. Just nobody has really looked at it this way before.

Edit: Just found this related article in today's news: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041203/D86OBBAO0.html

Last edited:
xck said:
If a monkey is given an opiate he too will nod won't he? Over time anyone will get hooked. Right? Cellibate or sexually active. I do know that cellibacy is an extremely powerful mode.

If it is given, yes, as far as I know. I think the question is whether the motivation to continue to use after a first (or ocassional) experience is there. I'm thinking along the lines of self-administration trials, or the time it takes to get addicted (it may be that they still get hooked, but if it takes a lot longer, that would still be considered "protective").

I think the only way to combat it would be to address the issues that lead one to it. That would be impossible at this point in time on earth. I know I have detoured from the runner-endorphine high. oops.

Not really. That was part of what I had in mind. While the people I know focus on sex behavior, because I have no idea what sort of "runner's high" an animal might get, in humans, that runner's high seems to be a pretty natural reward system. I find it intriguing.

How much exercise (and of what sort of intensity) does one generally need to get at least a little of the runner's high?

In my own experience, if I don't get in the equivalent of an hour's brisk walking every second day, I get *really* snippy - not quite a high, but at least its inverse. When I used to run (oh, the memories!), a half-hour (after appropriate warm-ups, weather permitting etc) would be enough for it to kick in (after cool down and stretching, of course, not while running).

I once heard that there was a test where monkeys had two choices, if they pushed one button they got food and if they pushed the other they got a drug, don't remember which one. They eventually starved because they always chose the drug. Any idea if this is a true story?

PerennialII said:
So why don't endorphins get released just during a tough run (if their idea is to make running somehow easier) ? I seem to be getting an overdose of lactic acid every time and could use some during rather than after ...

If I recall my 10th grade biology correctly lactic acid is caused by the anerobic processing of fuel by the cells due to not enough oxegen to perform areobic activity. If a proper cool down is done by slowing the system down gradually instead of all at once, the acid is disapated and the cramping is lessened or does not happen at all(personal experience).

tribdog said:
I once heard that there was a test where monkeys had two choices, if they pushed one button they got food and if they pushed the other they got a drug, don't remember which one. They eventually starved because they always chose the drug. Any idea if this is a true story?

I know about five or six billion myself included.

People are somewhat different, but I find if I can go a bit further or faster than I know I can that often gives me a rush and all my hairs stand on end and there is no pain...
I hadn't really considered other exercises but now that it's mentioned I wonder if yoga releases endorphins, it seems to make people feel better too although less difficult.

TENYEARS said:
I know about five or six billion myself included.
Nice one, TENYEARS! :rofl:

Why does running make people feel better?
Well, I always reckoned it was because if you were still running it meant they hadn’t caught up to you yet…

Nereid, I certainly don't know what it takes to get a runner's high. I don't think it works for everyone, and don't know why either. No matter what vigorous exercise I've been doing or for how long, I've never felt anything other than pure exhaustion by the end of it. I've never found exercise to be something I do for enjoyment, it's something I get as a side effect of needing to do work.

tribdog, I don't know of such a study, but would have to venture a guess that it's not true unless it was an incredibly old study. Nothing done in the past several decades would have continued to the point of allowing the monkeys to starve to death. The experiment would have needed to be ended before that.

(Sorry not to respond to everyone after those posts...I tried to post this earlier tonight and had computer gremlins to deal with, so am just posting what I saved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennialII

If I recall my 10th grade biology correctly lactic acid is caused by the anerobic processing of fuel by the cells due to not enough oxegen to perform areobic activity. If a proper cool down is done by slowing the system down gradually instead of all at once, the acid is disapated and the cramping is lessened or does not happen at all(personal experience).

Yeah, sounds right by me. The reason cooldowns are as important as they are, I suppose the "problem" comes (from practical experience) from doing a too rough anaerobic workout, if you flood your muscles with lactic acid it's in practise impossible to get it out of them by simply running ... takes a recovery period of a day or two complemented with aerobic runs.

Nereid, I certainly don't know what it takes to get a runner's high. I don't think it works for everyone, and don't know why either. No matter what vigorous exercise I've been doing or for how long, I've never felt anything other than pure exhaustion by the end of it. I've never found exercise to be something I do for enjoyment, it's something I get as a side effect of needing to do work.

If you a prone to have it, and have not run much, on practical experience something like 10-20 mins out of the aerobic region will probably do the trick. This is just on the basis of experience from our cross country running "circles". If the workout is such that it takes you to your knees so to speak, then the resulting high is usually an extreme one. The best exercise for me currently to get as high as possible is something like maximum exertion uphill pacing, in which the "load" increases rapidly and in the end you work by your very maximum heartrate. What is interesting about it is that it involves a heavy mental element, which I see as a prerequisite for the high (at least for a good one).

I forgot about duration, that's more important a factor than extending one's reach toward be an all natural junkie, but I haven't heard anyone say, "damn we need to clean up these parks look at all these junkies running around!".

Why doesn't anyone say that?
Which would you suppose is more important, being able to step far out of a box or step deep into a box?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi's

MoonbeeR

the motivation for a runner would be completely different than that of a heroin(e) addict. right? they are both seeking something, but the runner's intent is different.

addicts are driven by issues from childhood. whether it be spoiled rotten, abuse, or death of a parent-or whatever deep seated soul-pain is driving it. it is not an act of love to stick a needle in your arm ONCE.

a runner's motivaton may be for health, life span, escape the spouse, or to improve/enhance the quality of their life. they already for the most part have "it" together. dopey on the other-arm wants to stop the pain.

there are tons of factors that would be almost impossible to weigh regarding the actual length of time it takes one to become addicted to heroine. frequency, quality of dope, the individual's metabolism AND the driving force (soul-pain) behind it.

the insanity is it makes one (most) sick initially, then depending on your willingness to get sick, tolerate it/tolerance - knock knock - addiction. then you have to keep doing it to not get sick. makes sense. makes absolutely no sense. that is the nature of addiction.

heroin IS an honest drug. it tells you the truth immmediately. cocaine deceives.

years ago i pumped iron and ran five miles a day. I'm older now and wiser, so i don't even walk. my motivation then (to run) was a cute detective in that hole in the wall gym. i loved the benefits of running at the time. weights were my first love because of the mental discipline it gave me. once again, older and wiser, i have to be careful picking up my webster's encyclopedia.

years ago i dabbled in drugs. my motivation was different than working out. i had a decent childhood. i simply grew tired of feeling all the time. i thank the gods there was no detective in sight. :smile:

these days i get "higher" than i ever did from drugs or exercise. it isn't all the time, nor is it rare for me. sometimes it's for no reason, and sometimes it's from the mountains, music, people, and pursuing my goofy interests. i don't understand it, but i get (the best) a real high.

Thank you, MoonbeaR time for me to do my dance to the endorphin gods. :devil:

endorphins and opiod-like brain chemicals aside, running is also just a plain good old way to relieve stress. For me I always found it relaxing to lace up my shoes and hit the road running with no particular destination or course in mind. Particularly cross-country running, with the trees, fresh air, scenery and quiet (aside from the rhythmic thumping of your feet hitting the ground). It's kind of like meditating.

endorphins and opiod-like brain chemicals aside, running is also just a plain good old way to relieve stress. For me I always found it relaxing to lace up my shoes and hit the road running with no particular destination or course in mind. Particularly cross-country running, with the trees, fresh air, scenery and quiet (aside from the rhythmic thumping of your feet hitting the ground). It's kind of like meditating.

Yeah, its like a mental addiction, or say, a release channel you in time start to use to such extent that can't really go without. Got to go do some now !

<h2>1. Why do people experience a "runner's high" after running?</h2><p>During exercise, the body releases endorphins, which are hormones that interact with the brain's receptors to reduce pain and increase feelings of pleasure. This release of endorphins is commonly associated with the feeling of a "runner's high" after running.</p><h2>2. How does running improve mood and reduce stress?</h2><p>Running has been shown to reduce levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol, and increase levels of mood-boosting neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine. This can lead to improved mood and reduced stress levels.</p><h2>3. What are the psychological benefits of running?</h2><p>In addition to improving mood and reducing stress, running has been linked to improved self-esteem, increased confidence, and reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression. It can also serve as a form of meditation and provide a sense of accomplishment.</p><h2>4. Can running improve cognitive function?</h2><p>Research has shown that regular aerobic exercise, such as running, can improve cognitive function and brain health. This is due to the increased blood flow and oxygen to the brain, as well as the release of growth factors that promote the formation of new brain cells.</p><h2>5. Is running beneficial for mental health?</h2><p>Yes, running has been shown to have numerous mental health benefits, including reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety, improving mood and self-esteem, and promoting better sleep. It can also serve as a healthy coping mechanism for managing stress and improving overall mental well-being.</p>

1. Why do people experience a "runner's high" after running?

During exercise, the body releases endorphins, which are hormones that interact with the brain's receptors to reduce pain and increase feelings of pleasure. This release of endorphins is commonly associated with the feeling of a "runner's high" after running.

2. How does running improve mood and reduce stress?

Running has been shown to reduce levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol, and increase levels of mood-boosting neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine. This can lead to improved mood and reduced stress levels.

3. What are the psychological benefits of running?

In addition to improving mood and reducing stress, running has been linked to improved self-esteem, increased confidence, and reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression. It can also serve as a form of meditation and provide a sense of accomplishment.

4. Can running improve cognitive function?

Research has shown that regular aerobic exercise, such as running, can improve cognitive function and brain health. This is due to the increased blood flow and oxygen to the brain, as well as the release of growth factors that promote the formation of new brain cells.

5. Is running beneficial for mental health?

Yes, running has been shown to have numerous mental health benefits, including reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety, improving mood and self-esteem, and promoting better sleep. It can also serve as a healthy coping mechanism for managing stress and improving overall mental well-being.