Basic Opamp Circuit: Connect Vp/Vn & Find Gain w/ Pspice

In summary, the conversation is about building an inverting opamp with 10 gain using an input sinusoidal source in Pspice schematics. The main question is where to connect the Vp and Vn for this specific opamp model and how to use simulation to find the gain. The participants discuss different suggestions and solutions, including removing the inverting input resistor, reducing the output of the signal source, and checking the supply voltages. Some errors in the circuit are encountered, and there is a suggestion to try removing the Vp from the input signal. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about not burning the amp and a holiday greeting.
hoheiho
Hi, i am using Pspice schematics to build up an inverting opamp with 10 gain using an input sinusoidal source. For other opamp model, i will need to connect Vp and Vn to the top and bottom of opamp. But for this opamp (shown in the fig. below). Where should i connect my Vp and Vn? And how can i use the simulation to find the gain? i try to use create netlist-->simulate
and it said my some error on my circuit.

2vmu1ee.png
I have try to search the example in google but cannot find any basic opamp with sin source. Most of them are using 741 or other model so they got the top and bottom connection in opamp.

For other opamp, i have connected like this. The opamp pin 4 and 7 have been connceted to Vp and Vn. But i don't know how to connect those into my basic opamp?
qsp3bk.png
Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Try simulation first, maybe it does not require that as they assume it's there.

Your second diagram looks correct and the output voltage -4.499 (4.5) is correct. (gain is 4.5)
I must admit that I am not familiar with your simulation program but your circuit as drawn is OK

Last edited:
Sorry, i have uploaded the wrong diagram for the second one. I have fixed it now

yungman said:
Try simulation first, maybe it does not require that as they assume it's there.

Thanks for your reply

I cannnot do the simulation. It said: Error in the circuit. But it doesn't say what kind of error is that

Are you certain that you have the supply voltages connected the right way round .
Your labels look correct but you have drawn your amplifier "upside down" ...double check

technician said:
Are you certain that you have the supply voltages connected the right way round .
Your labels look correct but you have drawn your amplifier "upside down" ...double check
Thanks for your reply

I think that is correct. i have change the V+ and V- "upside down" as well.

What simulation program are you using? How did you place that part in your schematic (first diagram)?

Can you do something like right-click on the opamp and edit its properties? The supply voltages may just be part of its properties for that simple opamp model...

berkeman said:
What simulation program are you using? How did you place that part in your schematic (first diagram)?

Can you do something like right-click on the opamp and edit its properties? The supply voltages may just be part of its properties for that simple opamp model...

Hi, I am using PSpice Student V9.1 Schematics. I did not edit any setting in the opamp. I have try to connect it like that(fig. below) but it still not working. It said some problem with my voltage source

pc0mb.png

Remove the inverting input resistor from the positive supply. You just need the signal source here.

Also reduce the output of the signal source to 0.05 volts so the output should be 0.5 volts peak, but inverted.

It seems to be working as you would get an output equal to almost the voltage of the negative rail with your circuit, and that is what you are getting.

Are you observing the waveform at the output of the opamp?

hoheiho said:
Hi, I am using PSpice Student V9.1 Schematics. I did not edit any setting in the opamp. I have try to connect it like that(fig. below) but it still not working. It said some problem with my voltage source

pc0mb.png

How come there is a 15V label at Vp? If you have +/-15V supply and you have an offset at Vp and a gain of -10, you are not going to get any wave form at the output, all you get is -15V hung on the rail!

I think the problem is the Vp =15v at the input.
The label for your voltage input says Vampl = 1 which sounds sensible.
The gain is x10 so with 1v. In Vout would be 10V

vk6kro said:
Remove the inverting input resistor from the positive supply. You just need the signal source here.

Also reduce the output of the signal source to 0.05 volts so the output should be 0.5 volts peak, but inverted.

It seems to be working as you would get an output equal to almost the voltage of the negative rail with your circuit, and that is what you are getting.

Are you observing the waveform at the output of the opamp?

I have try to what u suggest. The circuit seems like not working. If i reduce the output source to 0.05v the output will be 0.05v(there is no gain?) I cannot do the simulation to get the waveform because it said there is an error in my circuit but it doesn't say what kind of error is that

yungman said:
How come there is a 15V label at Vp? If you have +/-15V supply and you have an offset at Vp and a gain of -10, you are not going to get any wave form at the output, all you get is -15V hung on the rail!

Yes:(. i cannot get any gain. What i get from the waveform is just the my voltage source(-/+ 15V). Do you think i put my source at the right place?

technician said:
I think the problem is the Vp =15v at the input.
The label for your voltage input says Vampl = 1 which sounds sensible.
The gain is x10 so with 1v. In Vout would be 10V

If i remove the voltage source (Vp and Vn) from the circuit. i will get 0V in the circuit.

Is it possible for you to remove the Vp from the input signal (V1)
The other circuits you have drawn do not have Vp connected to the input

If you cannot remove 15V at Vp, then put the supply voltage at +/-180V! You should see the wave form riding on top of -150V offset.

Just hope the simulation will not give you a puff of smoke on the screen to tell you that you burn you amp! Hehe!

Merry Christmas

Alan

You should be able to connect wires from the power supply to the opamp. This will get around any problems with labels.

The only input should be the 1 KHz signal generator. This should be checked to see if it has any DC offset. Look in the properties of the signal generator to see if there is any.

I specified a small signal of 0.05 volts AC to see if there was any DC offset in the signal generator.

With a gain of 10 the output should be a 0.5 volts (peak voltage) sinewave centered on 0 volts

technician said:
Is it possible for you to remove the Vp from the input signal (V1)
The other circuits you have drawn do not have Vp connected to the input

That looks to be the key point. You are trying to use the symbol "Vp" as both a test point (on top of the signal generator) and as the label for a power supply.

The original circuit looks ok and it should have a voltage gain of -10. The feedback resistor is connected to the correct input if you wanted an Inverting amplifier.
As long as the supply voltage connections are correct, the circuit should work fine.
You should definitely not be connecting an input to Vp as that will force the output to limit at -Vn.
If you change R1 to 100k, the ac gain should be -1. The input (-) pin should always measure at very nearly 0V because that point is held at a 'virtual earth' potential because of the action of the negative feedback.

I think there must be some problem with how you are specifying the input data to your simulation.

hoheiho said:
I have try to connect it like that(fig. below) but it still not working. It said some problem with my voltage source.
There certainly is a problem. In this arrangement https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3680661&postcount=9 it seems you have your -15v power rail connected to your op-amp's output pin. It does not belong there. You also have the signal source shorted out by the +15v rail. Remove this, too. The power supply doesn't connect to those pins of the IC. You have to find the V+ and V- pins for that IC and connect the power there!

I understand that you haven't found which pins those are, but that doesn't mean you can connect the power supply anywhere you like. You have to connect them correctly. As someone pointed out, maybe that model doesn't require explicit connection to the power supplies? But that's unlikely; I think you just have to look harder to find the correct pins.

This is the sort of question that is best asked of one of your fellow students in your class, or of the teaching staff.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
There certainly is a problem. You have your -15v power rail connected to your op-amp's output pin. It does not belong there. You also have the signal source shorted out by the +15v rail. Remove this, too. The power supply doesn't connect to those pins of the IC. You have to find the V+ and V- pins for that IC and connect the power there!
Are you confusing connection to a source of PD and a measured value? I think the green rectangles contain measured values.

When you use the simple op amp model you don't need power supplies, they are properties of the model (by default I think +15V and -15V). Your first circuit was OK apart from the parts you added to try to implement power. Remove those completely and it should work.

1. What is a basic opamp circuit?

A basic opamp circuit is a circuit that uses an operational amplifier (opamp) as its main component. The opamp is a type of electronic amplifier that amplifies the difference between two input voltages, known as the inverting input (Vn) and the non-inverting input (Vp). These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, filters, and signal generators.

2. How do I connect the Vp and Vn inputs in a basic opamp circuit?

The Vp input is connected to the non-inverting input of the opamp, while the Vn input is connected to the inverting input. This can be done using a resistor network or by directly connecting the inputs to the opamp.

3. What is the gain of a basic opamp circuit?

The gain of a basic opamp circuit is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. It is typically denoted by the symbol A and is calculated as Vout/Vin. In an ideal opamp, the gain is infinite, but in practical circuits, it is typically in the range of 10^5 to 10^6.

4. How can I find the gain of a basic opamp circuit using Pspice?

To find the gain of a basic opamp circuit using Pspice, you can use the AC analysis feature. This allows you to simulate the circuit and plot the output voltage as a function of the input voltage. The gain can then be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage at a specific frequency.

5. Can I use Pspice to simulate non-idealities in a basic opamp circuit?

Yes, Pspice allows you to simulate non-idealities such as input offset voltage, input bias current, and finite gain in a basic opamp circuit. These can significantly affect the performance of the circuit and it is important to consider them in the design process.