How are the galactic jets made in black holes?

In summary: Here is a simple explanation. Let us know if you'd like to dive into it in more detail."Although accretion disks have sufficient energy to eject a small fraction of the infalling material as jets, it is not clear exactly how. The accretion disks are thought to generate tangled-up magnetic field, which is probably what collimates the jets.":The magnetic fields generated by accretion discs can be enormously powerful, in theory. It's not clear yet how this energy is used to eject gas, but it's an active area of research.
UrbanXrisis
I read this about a black hole: "The extraordinary high pressure and temperature generated near the hole would cause some of the in-falling gas to be ejected along the direction of the black hole's spinning axis to create the galactic jet."

How is it possible for "in falling gas" able to excape the pull of a black hole and this "gas" is not virtual particles so I don't think that Hawking radiation comes into play. How are the galactic jets made?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The gas is not coming from inside the hole is coming from outside it. Matter falling into a balck hole forms an accretion disc around the black hole and friction can cause it to become very hot.

Gold star for an excellent question UrbanX! The mechanism for the production of the jets is an active area of research in astrophysics ... and it's not at all clear (at least to me) that we've got a good handle on it yet.

Here is a simple explanation. Let us know if you'd like to dive into it in more detail.

"Although accretion disks have sufficient energy to eject a small fraction of the infalling material as jets, it is not clear exactly how. The accretion disks are thought to generate tangled-up magnetic field, which is probably what collimates the jets."

Hm...so they don't know how the gas excapes the force? What does "tangled-up magnetic field" mean?

Last edited:
Magnetic fields generated by accretion discs can be enormously powerful, in theory.

"Astronomy picture of the day" of December 11 shows the jet of the elliptical M87. This jet can be observed in radio, optical and X-Rays and its length is 5000 ly! (A 1/20 part of the diameter of the Milky Way)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041211.html
Anyone knows what's the longest jet ever observed coming out from a galaxy?

Are you kidding me? the jets of the Giant Radio Galaxy Cygnus A
measure 300000 ly each one. In comparison, the jet of your link should be called a "toy jet" :biggrin:
Though I'm not sure if the jets of Cygnus A are the longest discovered

meteor said:
Are you kidding me? the jets of the Giant Radio Galaxy Cygnus A
measure 300000 ly each one. In comparison, the jet of your link should be called a "toy jet" :biggrin:
Though I'm not sure if the jets of Cygnus A are the longest discovered
I don't have a ready reference of galactic jet papers (long or short) but thought that you might be interested by that one. :smile: Its structure suggests to me that the mechanism by which these jets are formed can be more than just a simple "ejection along the spin axis of a black hole". Perhaps twisted or braided jets like this are formed by ejection along the orbital axis of co-orbiting black hole pairs.

You mean like 3C75, only closer to doomsday for any soft and squishy lifeforms within several kpc?

I know there have been simulations of the collision/merger of a pair of (~sol-mass) black holes; anyone know if there's been any simulations of 1 million to billion Msol pair? Maybe these are where zevatrons are born?

Nereid said:
You mean like 3C75, only closer to doomsday for any soft and squishy lifeforms within several kpc?

I know there have been simulations of the collision/merger of a pair of (~sol-mass) black holes; anyone know if there's been any simulations of 1 million to billion Msol pair? Maybe these are where zevatrons are born?
Thank you for the links - wonderful papers behind both. Now, how can fields develop in space that are strong enough to confine these wildly excited particles while they are being accelerated to these energy levels? That question was posed in the second link, but was left open...

1. How do black holes create galactic jets?

Black holes create galactic jets through a process called accretion, where matter is pulled into the black hole's gravitational field and forms a disk around it. As the matter in the disk moves closer to the black hole, it heats up and releases large amounts of energy in the form of radiation and powerful magnetic fields. These magnetic fields then accelerate some of the hot gas and plasma along the poles of the black hole, creating the powerful jets we observe.

2. What causes the direction of the galactic jets?

The direction of the galactic jets is determined by the rotation of the black hole and the orientation of its magnetic fields. As the black hole rotates, its magnetic fields also rotate, causing the jets to be emitted along the poles of the black hole.

3. How fast do galactic jets travel?

Galactic jets can travel at incredibly high speeds, often close to the speed of light. The exact speed varies depending on the size and type of black hole, but they can reach speeds of millions of miles per hour.

4. Do all black holes have galactic jets?

No, not all black holes have galactic jets. Only a certain type of black hole, known as an active galactic nucleus (AGN), has the necessary accretion disk and magnetic fields to create galactic jets. AGNs are relatively rare, making up about 1% of all galaxies.

5. Are galactic jets dangerous to Earth?

No, galactic jets are not dangerous to Earth. They are incredibly powerful and can release large amounts of energy, but they are also far enough away from us that their effects are not felt on Earth. In fact, galactic jets play an important role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, including our own Milky Way.