Sizing brackets to wall-mount condensing unit

In summary, the brackets will be used to support a 400 lb. condensing unit that is 90 inches wide, 30 inches high, and 36 inches deep. The brackets will be sized based on the force required to support the unit and the angle at which the load is being applied. The brackets will have a right angle bend in them and may be a weak point.
mattgus
Hi all,

I have a question. I have been asked to estimate the size (thickness/gauge) and specific material of two L-Brackets that will be used to mount a condensing unit on the side of a building. As I am at work and don't have any of my school/ME books at my disposal I am wondering if someone could give me a hand for the time being.

For simplicity's sake, assume the unit to be mounted is a 400 lb. box that is 90 inches in all directions (LxWxD). At this time, it is assumed that the box (condensing unit) will be mounted using two angle iron L-Brackets (one on each end of the box). I have attached a very crude sketch sent to me for a visual representation.

Obviously the weight of the unit normal to the ground (and L-Bracket) is the main factor, but I am also wondering about the force causing some sort of rotation and the bottom of the brackets, as the bracket is only attached to the wall on the vertical portion of it and, I would assume, the whole thing wants to rotate about the base of that unit at the point it contacts the wall.

As you would expect, we are hoping for zero deflection. At the same time, my friend would like to be as cost-effective as possible and not buy extremely over-sized brackets. I mentioned he may want to add braces that cross the bottom of the brackets or trusses of sorts from the front of the bracket back to the wall.

Can anyone provide any insight on how to size the angle iron?

Thanks.

Attachments

• L-Bracket.png
    L-Bracket.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 470
Engineering news on Phys.org
To clarify a couple of things now that I have a little bit of time:

Because the brackets will be the same and will be installed so that they each support half of the load (located on the far ends of each side) and assuming that the unit's weight is uniformly/evenly distributed, can I treat each bracket as a cantilever beam carrying half of the weight of the unit?

Can anyone tell me if the fact that the vertical portion of the brackets (and the necessary fasteners to hold them up) can be considered a cantilever beam and function using the normal beam equations or will this style of support drastically change outcome?

Also, because the L bracket has a right angle bend in it (or is two welded pieces of material), will this be a significant weak point? I am assuming that the bend/weld should still exhibit the same properties of the rest of the bracket.

Sorry if any of this is unclear.

1. How do I determine the right size bracket for my condensing unit?

To determine the right size bracket for your condensing unit, you will need to know the weight and dimensions of your unit. You can usually find this information in the product manual or by contacting the manufacturer. Once you have this information, you can use a sizing chart provided by the bracket manufacturer to determine the appropriate size.

2. Can I use any type of bracket to wall-mount my condensing unit?

No, it is important to use brackets specifically designed for wall-mounting condensing units. These brackets are designed to bear the weight of the unit and withstand outdoor conditions. Using the wrong type of bracket can result in damage to your unit and potential safety hazards.

3. How many brackets do I need to mount my condensing unit?

The number of brackets needed will depend on the weight and size of your condensing unit. In general, you will need at least two brackets for smaller units and four for larger units. It is important to evenly distribute the weight of the unit to ensure stability and prevent damage to the wall.

4. How do I properly install the brackets for my condensing unit?

It is recommended to hire a professional to install the brackets for your condensing unit. However, if you choose to do it yourself, make sure to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully. The brackets should be securely attached to the wall, and the unit should be level to prevent any strain on the brackets.

5. Can I use the same brackets for different types of condensing units?

The brackets needed for wall-mounting a condensing unit will vary depending on the weight and size of the unit. It is not recommended to use the same brackets for different types of units, as this can compromise the stability and safety of the installation. Always use brackets specifically designed for your particular condensing unit.