Time required to charge capacitor to percentage of max capacitor voltage

In summary, to determine the time required for a capacitor to charge to 53% of its maximum voltage, the time constant for the circuit must be found by determining the equivalent resistance across the capacitor connection points. This can be done by removing the capacitor and replacing the voltage supply with a short circuit. The equivalent resistance is then used in the voltage vs time equation to solve for the time needed to reach 53% of the maximum voltage. In cases where the voltage source has a current limit lower than the maximum current in the circuit, the voltage across the capacitor and the current in the circuit must be recalculated and the time calculated using the same method.
rhemmin

Homework Statement

The switch in the circuit is opened at t = 0. Determine the time required for the capacitor to charge to 53% of its maximum voltage in milliseconds. Given that R1 is 8.9 kΩ, R2 is 3.1 kΩ, C is 5.1 μF and Vs is 6 volts. Round your answer off to two decimals.

Homework Equations

i(t)=I(max)*e^(-t/RC) (capacitor current as a function of time)
v(t)=V(max)(1-e^(-t/RC) (capacitor voltage as a function of time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first determined that the maximum current in the circuit was V/(R1+R2) = 0.5 mA. This would both be the current through the capacitor at t =0+ and the current through the resistors once the capacitor had reached its max charge and acted as a open circuit.

I then determined that the max voltage through the capacitor would equal I(max)*R2(=1.55V) since the capacitor and R2 are in parallel. When the capacitor voltage levels off, it should behave like an open circuit so all of the current should flow through the loop including Vs, R1, and R2.

53% of max capacitor voltage should be .53(1.55) = .8215V.

I then used the capacitor voltage function listed in relevant equations to solve for t.

I'm not sure exactly which resistance value to use for the time constant. I've tried R1, R2, and R1+R2 without success. Could someone help explain

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• RC.jpg
    RC.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 593
Physics news on Phys.org
rhemmin said:

Homework Statement

The switch in the circuit is opened at t = 0. Determine the time required for the capacitor to charge to 53% of its maximum voltage in milliseconds. Given that R1 is 8.9 kΩ, R2 is 3.1 kΩ, C is 5.1 μF and Vs is 6 volts. Round your answer off to two decimals.

Homework Equations

i(t)=I(max)*e^(-t/RC) (capacitor current as a function of time)
v(t)=V(max)(1-e^(-t/RC) (capacitor voltage as a function of time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first determined that the maximum current in the circuit was V/(R1+R2) = 0.5 mA. This would both be the current through the capacitor at t =0+ and the current through the resistors once the capacitor had reached its max charge and acted as a open circuit.
That's not right. When the switch first opens the charge (and hence the voltage) on the capacitor will be zero. What will be the voltage across R1 in this case? What is the current through R1 at that time?
I then determined that the max voltage through the capacitor would equal I(max)*R2(=1.55V) since the capacitor and R2 are in parallel. When the capacitor voltage levels off, it should behave like an open circuit so all of the current should flow through the loop including Vs, R1, and R2.

Okay, that's the correct final voltage across the capacitor. So you know that the capacitor voltage will begin at zero and end up eventually at 1.55V. That allows you to write the equation for the voltage vs time as:
[tex] Vc = 1.55V \left(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}\right) [/tex]
where the time constant [itex] \tau [/itex] needs to be found. To find it you'll need to determine the equivalent resistance that the circuit presents across the points where the capacitor connects. So, remove the capacitor and replace the voltage supply with a short circuit. What is the net resistance across the capacitor connection points?

gneill said:
That's not right. When the switch first opens the charge (and hence the voltage) on the capacitor will be zero. What will be the voltage across R1 in this case? What is the current through R1 at that time?

Voltage across R1 should equal the voltage source because of KVL. So, voltage across R1 should be 6V. Therefore, the current through the R1 equals 6/(8.9*10^-3) = .674mA.

gneill said:
Okay, that's the correct final voltage across the capacitor. So you know that the capacitor voltage will begin at zero and end up eventually at 1.55V. That allows you to write the equation for the voltage vs time as:
[tex] Vc = 1.55V \left(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}\right) [/tex]
where the time constant [itex] \tau [/itex] needs to be found. To find it you'll need to determine the equivalent resistance that the circuit presents across the points where the capacitor connects. So, remove the capacitor and replace the voltage supply with a short circuit. What is the net resistance across the capacitor connection points?

After removing capacitor and replacing voltage supply with short, resistance across the points where capacitor connects is equals the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2 in parallel.
This equivalent resistance is 2.30kΩ. After substituting these values in the voltage vs time equation, I get 8.85 ms which is graded correct by homework site.

Awesome. Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome!

gneill
I have followed your help here... it is great!

technician said:
gneill
I have followed your help here... it is great!

Why thank you. You do some good work, too :smile:

What if we have a Voltage Source (Vs) with a current limit lower that Imax?

Let's say:
Vs=100 V with max output current 5 mA
R1=3.5 kΩ
R2=20 kΩ
C=6 mF

In this case we have the max voltage over C as defined by the resistive voltage divider Vc(max) = Vs*R2/(R1+R2) ≈ 85 V

At t=0+ the voltage across R1 is 100V, so the maximum current is 100V/3.5kΩ≈28mA, more than the voltage source can provide.

What is the time to charge the capacitor in this situation?

Thank you!

boguzz said:
What if we have a Voltage Source (Vs) with a current limit lower that Imax?

Let's say:
Vs=100 V with max output current 5 mA
R1=3.5 kΩ
R2=20 kΩ
C=6 mF

In this case we have the max voltage over C as defined by the resistive voltage divider Vc(max) = Vs*R2/(R1+R2) ≈ 85 V

At t=0+ the voltage across R1 is 100V, so the maximum current is 100V/3.5kΩ≈28mA, more than the voltage source can provide.

What is the time to charge the capacitor in this situation?

Thank you!
Hi Boguzz, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Is that capacitor value in millifarads (mF) or should it be microfarads (μF)?

Does the voltage supply have any particular relationship between its terminal voltage and the current it supplies? Does it maintain E = 100V right up to I = 5 mA? What happens then? Does the supply voltage sag to some value that maintains a constant 5 mA even to the limit of a short circuit load?

What are your thoughts on how to approach the problem? (You must show an attempt at a solution before we can know how to help).

Last edited:

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How long does it take to charge a capacitor to a certain percentage of its maximum voltage?

The time required to charge a capacitor to a specific percentage of its maximum voltage depends on the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage source. It can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. What is the relationship between charging time and percentage of max capacitor voltage?

The charging time of a capacitor is directly proportional to the percentage of its maximum voltage. This means that the higher the percentage of maximum voltage, the longer it will take to charge the capacitor.

4. How does the type of capacitor affect the charging time?

The type of capacitor can affect the charging time as it determines the capacitance value. Different types of capacitors have different capacitance values, which will affect the time required to charge them. For example, a ceramic capacitor has a smaller capacitance than an electrolytic capacitor, so it will charge faster.

5. What are some factors that can affect the charging time of a capacitor?

The charging time of a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance value, the resistance in the circuit, the voltage source, and the type of capacitor. Temperature and aging can also affect the charging time, as they can alter the capacitance and resistance values of the components involved.