Finding a side length in similar triangles?

In summary, the triangles ABD and ABC are similar because they have two congruent angles B and C and the sum of the remaining angles (ADB and BDC) is 180 degrees. Using the corresponding parts of similar angles, we know that the ratio of side lengths in ABD to side lengths in ABC is 4:16. However, we are missing the length of at least one side in order to find the length of AB.
moonman239
Side note: PF is awesome! This is kind of like Tutor.com, only it's free and others can contribute their answers.

Homework Statement

Explain why triangle ABD is similar to triangle ABC and then find the length of side AB. Angles B and C are congruent. m(ADB)+m(BDC) = 180 degrees. AD=4 and DC=12.

2. Relevant theorems, postulates, properties, etc.
Corresponding parts of similar angles are similar.
Symmetric property of similarity - if XYZ is similar to ABC, then XZY is similar to ACB, ZXY is similar to CAB, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The similarity ratio is 4:16 (side length in ABD:side length in ABC).I know that. If I knew at least one side length I could easily figure out what AB is. The problem is I don't.

Physics news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
Side note: PF is awesome! This is kind of like Tutor.com, only it's free and others can contribute their answers.

Homework Statement

Explain why triangle ABD is similar to triangle ABC and then find the length of side AB. Angles B and C are congruent. m(ADB)+m(BDC) = 180 degrees. AD=4 and DC=12.

2. Relevant theorems, postulates, properties, etc.
Corresponding parts of similar angles are similar.
Symmetric property of similarity - if XYZ is similar to ABC, then XZY is similar to ACB, ZXY is similar to CAB, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The similarity ratio is 4:16 (side length in ABD:side length in ABC).I know that. If I knew at least one side length I could easily figure out what AB is. The problem is I don't.
It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot or sketch of the two triangles.

1. How do you determine the scale factor in similar triangles?

The scale factor in similar triangles is determined by dividing the length of one side of a triangle by the corresponding side of the other triangle. This will give you a decimal value, which is the scale factor.

2. What is the rule for finding the length of a missing side in similar triangles?

The rule for finding the length of a missing side in similar triangles is the proportional side lengths rule. This means that the ratio of corresponding sides in similar triangles is equal.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem used for in similar triangles?

The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. Can you use similar triangles to find the missing side in a non-right triangle?

Yes, similar triangles can be used to find the missing side in a non-right triangle. By using the proportional side lengths rule, you can set up a proportion and solve for the missing side length.

5. What is the difference between congruent and similar triangles?

Congruent triangles have the exact same size and shape, while similar triangles have the same shape but may differ in size. In similar triangles, the corresponding angles are equal and the corresponding sides are proportional.