Math geniuses: Design a function that gives this output

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a general algorithm for determining three positive integers {a,b,c} that multiply to a given positive integer n and have the minimum variance. Examples and patterns are given, and various approaches are suggested, including using prime factorization and minimizing the difference between the factors and the cube root of n. However, no efficient method has been found and the conversation ends with a question about a potential solution involving the dustbin packing algorithm.
Evil Robot
A general algorithm works too.

Given: a positive integer n
Return: three positive integers {a,b,c} such that a*b*c=n, the variance of {a,b,c} is minimized, and a>=b>=c.

The return might also be understood as "give the (integer) dimensions of the cubiest cuboid of volume n".

I suspect there is only one possible return for each n, though I suppose I don't have any particular reason to guess that.

While a brute-force style solution is obvious, a mathier solution would be more fun.

Examples (if I'm not mistaken):
f(1) = {1,1,1}
f(2) = {2,1,1}
f(3) = {3,1,1}
f(4) = {2,2,1}
f(5) = {5,1,1}
f(6) = {3,2,1}
f(7) = {7,1,1}
f(8) = {2,2,2}
f(9) = {3,3,1}
f(10) = {5,2,1}
f(11) = {11,1,1}
f(12) = {3,2,2}
f(13) = {13,1,1}
f(14) = {7,2,1}
f(15) = {5,3,1}
f(16) = {4,2,2}
f(17) = {17,1,1}
f(18) = {3,3,2}
f(19) = {19,1,1}
f(20) = {5,2,2}

Above, note especially f(8), f(12), f(16), f(18), and f(20).

Any patterns noticed may be productive. A simple example is that, for a prime number p, f(p)={p,1,1}. Another: for a positive integer n, f(n^3)={n,n,n}.

I'm not sure these results are necessarily unique.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This homework? Anyways, have you tried analyzing the mathematics of the problem yet?

Hurkyl said:
This homework? Anyways, have you tried analyzing the mathematics of the problem yet?

No, it's not homework.

I've managed to reduce it to a problem of combinatorially grouping the prime factors of an integer, but more than that is beyond me (i.e. minimizing the difference between the factors chosen and the cube root of the number)

The other angle of attack I could think of is recursive, with the base case having two cases:

Case 1:
Being one integer: n.

Case 2:
Given: a positive integer n
Return: two positive integers {a,b} such that a*b=n, the variance of {a,b} is minimized, and a>=b.

The return might also be understood as "give the (integer) dimensions of the squarest square of area n".

Let a(n) = the least divisor of n greater than or equal to the square root of n
Let b(n) = the greatest divisor of n less than or equal to the square root of n

Then f(n) = {a(n), b(n)}

Is there a recursive relationship?

f(1) = {1,1,1}
f(2) = {2,1,1}
f(3) = {3,1,1}
f(4) = {2,2,1}
f(5) = {5,1,1}
f(6) = {3,2,1}
f(7) = {7,1,1}
f(8) = {2,2,2}
f(9) = {3,3,1}
f(10) = {5,2,1}
f(11) = {11,1,1}
f(12) = {3,2,2}
f(13) = {13,1,1}
f(14) = {7,2,1}
f(15) = {5,3,1}
f(16) = {4,2,2}
f(17) = {17,1,1}
f(18) = {3,3,2}
f(19) = {19,1,1}
f(20) = {5,2,2}

Seems to me that when given a prime number, the first of the three values returned by f is the same number.

Also, when given a perfect square, the first of the three values returned by f is the square root.

Go wild. :)

Sartak said:
f(1) = {1,1,1}
f(2) = {2,1,1}
f(3) = {3,1,1}
f(4) = {2,2,1}
f(5) = {5,1,1}
f(6) = {3,2,1}
f(7) = {7,1,1}
f(8) = {2,2,2}
f(9) = {3,3,1}
f(10) = {5,2,1}
f(11) = {11,1,1}
f(12) = {3,2,2}
f(13) = {13,1,1}
f(14) = {7,2,1}
f(15) = {5,3,1}
f(16) = {4,2,2}
f(17) = {17,1,1}
f(18) = {3,3,2}
f(19) = {19,1,1}
f(20) = {5,2,2}

Seems to me that when given a prime number, the first of the three values returned by f is the same number.

Also, when given a perfect square, the first of the three values returned by f is the square root.

Yep, I noted that in my post :).

Is it not a case of reducing it down into its prime factors and if the number of factors is greater than 3 then attempting to use a variation on the dustbin packing algorithm where you attempt to try and get all 3 slots as close to the cube root of the original number?

If writing up a program to do this that is where I would at least start.

I have a simple algorithm that should work, I think.

Reduce n to its prime factors. If there are less than 3 factors, fill up to three with 1's, if there are exactly 3 factors, use those, if there are more than 3 factors, multiply the smallest two factors, continue multiplying the smallest two factors until you have only 3 factors. Use those.

nevermind, it only works in some cases.

okay, one more try. I think this will work. Maybe.

Find x=n^(1/3). This gives you the side of the cube for the given volume, usually non integer. Then increase x to the first integer that is a factor of n. Then decrease x until you find another factor of n that when multiplied by the first factor you found isn't more than n. The third number will be n divided by these two factors.

doesn't work either ... oh well

Sartak said:

doesn't work for 64.

Zurtex said:
Is it not a case of reducing it down into its prime factors and if the number of factors is greater than 3 then attempting to use a variation on the dustbin packing algorithm where you attempt to try and get all 3 slots as it close to the cube root of the original number?

If writing up a program to do this that is where I would at least start.

What is the dustbin packing algorithm? Is it polynomial in nature?

What are the best algorithms for prime factoring? Are they polynomial (guessing no here)?

Even if I was wrong with how to use it, it really does seem to me that there must be some effecient method starting with the cube root.

Evil Robot said:
What is the dustbin packing algorithm? Is it polynomial in nature?

What are the best algorithms for prime factoring? Are they polynomial (guessing no here)?
There are a few different dustbin-packing algorithms but I don't think any ones that accurately (there are efficient ones that don’t work 100%) work are polynomial in nature. Also of course there are no known factorising algorithms that are polynomial but there are some relatively quick ones these days.

This is really beyond me to work out anything efficient. Have you tried really trying to break the maths down like going of the definition of variance and working out the best way to minimise it?

Sequence

what the following number

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical rule that takes in one or more input values and produces an output value. It is often represented as f(x), where x is the input and f(x) is the output.

How do you design a function?

To design a function, you must first determine what the input values will be and what kind of output you want to produce. Then, you can use mathematical operations and equations to create a rule or formula for the function.

What is a math genius?

A math genius is a person who has exceptional knowledge and ability in mathematics. They possess a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and can solve complex problems with ease.

What makes a math genius?

A math genius is typically born with a natural aptitude for mathematics, but they also develop their skills through practice and hard work. They have a strong passion for math and are able to think critically and creatively to solve problems.

How can I become a math genius?

Becoming a math genius requires dedication, hard work, and a love for the subject. You can improve your math skills by studying and practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and challenging yourself with difficult problems. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not give up when faced with challenges.