Can Love Know Age? Nobel Laureate Marries 28-Year-Old!

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, a Nobel Prize winner, aged 82, married a 28-year-old student in a civil ceremony in China. The groom, Yang Chen Ning, is a naturalized American citizen and a professor at two universities. The bride's parents were the witnesses. This marriage has sparked a discussion on society's acceptance of large age differences in relationships, with some comparing it to other famous cases such as Anna Nicole Smith. Others have also brought up the topic of matriarchal societies in China where older women are known to have younger lovers.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Un octogenar s-a casatorit cu o studenta
"Un castigator al premiului Nobel, in varsta de 82 de ani, s-a casatorit cu o studenta in varsta de 28 de ani din orasul Shantou, intr-o provincie din China. Yang Chen Ning s-a insurat cu Weng Fan in cadrul unei ceremonii civile, iar martori au fost parintii miresei. Yang a castigat in 1957 premiul Nobel pentru fizica impreuna cu colegul sau Lee Tsung-dao. Devenit cetatean american in 1964, Yang a predat la Universitatea Princeton din New Jersey si la Universitatea de stat din New York."
From a newspaper in my country.I guess it's right so the mot-au mot translation is somthing like that:

Title:An octogenary married a student.

Contents:A Nobel Prize winner,aged 82,married to a student aged 28 in the city of Shantou in a province of China.Yang Chen Ning married Weng Fan in a civil ceremony at which the witnesses were the bride's parents.Yang won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1957 together with his colleague Lee Tsung-dao.Having become American citizen in 1964,Yang lectured at the Princeton University in New Jersey and at the State University of New York".

I guess "violation" is a common concept for Mr.Yang. :tongue2: He's 82 for Christ's sake... :yuck:

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure that he only loves her for her mind. :biggrin:

What I can't understand is how a woman that age could ever get involved with a man so much older.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm sure that he only loves her for her mind. :biggrin:
Actually he only loves her when she doesn't mind. :biggrin:

Why is it acceptable for a such a huge age difference when the woman is younger, but a woman in her 80's marrying a man in his twenties would be thought outrageous.

Hey, I'm pretty good looking for an 80 year old woman. Any 20 year olds want to get hitched? :biggrin:

Evo said:
Why is it acceptable for a such a huge age difference when the woman is younger, but a woman in her 80's marrying a man in his twenties would be thought outrageous.

Just one sign of the fact that we live in a society emerged from a patriarchate, rather than from, say, a matriarchate..:wink:

(There exist, I believe, some matriarchal subcultures in rural China where it is not uncommon that grannies have studs for lovers)

arildno said:
Just one sign of the fact that we live in a society emerged from a patriarchate, rather than from, say, a matriarchate..:wink:

(There exist, I believe, some matriarchal subcultures in rural China where it is not uncommon that grannies have studs for lovers)
I guess I'll be moving to China. :tongue2:

Evo said:
I guess I'll be moving to China. :tongue2:
Sure, if you like mountain hamlets (that's where they live).

To pique your interest, the eldest woman in a clan here holds all property rights, the males in the family works the fields under her direction, while the women are free to invite whomever (non-family) man she likes into her bed.
They don't recognize fatherhood, the children belongs to the mother.

arildno said:
Sure, if you like mountain hamlets (that's where they live).
Ooooh, I love mountain hamlets!

To pique your interest, the eldest woman in a clan here holds all property rights, the males in the family works the fields under her direction, while the women are free to invite whomever (non-family) man she likes into her bed.
They don't recognize fatherhood, the children belongs to the mother.
This is sounding better and better. :approve: When you say "here" are we still in China, or in Norway?

My sister in law is from Oslo, btw.

"here" refers to China.
I heard this story a couple of years back on the radio, when a Norwegian anthropologist was interviewed about our concepts of "natural" vs. "cultural".

His point was when we look at the actual evidence
(i.e, actual cultures, and these cultures' concept of "the natural" (every culture has a "naturalness concept"),
there are so many different notions of "the natural" that the concept isn't really a helpful category in the analysis and understanding of cultures.

Rather, the concept of what is natural, is to a large measure culture-specific, rather than culture-transcendent.

He pointed to this Chinese sub-culture as a case in point, and contrasted that with current European notions.
(I think he had personally studied this culture over some time)

Evo said:

What makes you think it's any more acceptable? I can't see why anyone in their 20s would be attracted to anyone in their 80s, other than inheriting a lifetime's worth of wealth and then being free to marry someone closer to your own age, or no one at all, if that's your preference.

Can we say "Anna Nicole Smith"?

Moonbear said:
What makes you think it's any more acceptable? I can't see why anyone in their 20s would be attracted to anyone in their 80s, other than inheriting a lifetime's worth of wealth and then being free to marry someone closer to your own age, or no one at all, if that's your preference.
So, you're saying there's no hope for me? :frown:

When you get to be 80, do other 80 year olds look attractive to you? :rolleyes:

Didn't Cary Grant and Fred Astair both marry much younger women when they were in their 80's? I know a lot of women that put physical attraction last, I don't think it's as common for men.

arildno said:

Ya,we can.The only problem with her is that whe wasn't very fond of the Chinese People and so our guy had to "settle" for a local. :tongue2:

Daniel.

arildno said:

Can we please not?

I haven't got any trouble with not mentioning her again..

dextercioby said:
Ya,we can.The only problem with her is that whe wasn't very fond of the Chinese People and so our guy had to "settle" for a local. :tongue2:

Daniel.
He was looking for a 20 year old, not a 20 IQ.
:rofl: :smile:

What is the definition of a "Horny Old Physicist"?

A "Horny Old Physicist" is a term used to describe a male physicist who is in his later years and has a strong interest in sexual topics or behavior.

Is being a "Horny Old Physicist" a common occurrence in the scientific community?

No, being a "Horny Old Physicist" is not a common occurrence in the scientific community. Most physicists are focused on their research and work, and their age does not affect their behavior or interests.

What causes a physicist to become "horny" as they get older?

There is no specific cause for a physicist to become "horny" as they get older. It may be due to personal preferences or changes in hormones.

Are there any negative consequences for being a "Horny Old Physicist"?

There is no direct negative consequence for being a "Horny Old Physicist," but it may lead to discomfort or inappropriate behavior towards colleagues or students. It is important for individuals to maintain professional boundaries in the workplace.

How can the scientific community address the issue of "Horny Old Physicists"?

The scientific community can address the issue of "Horny Old Physicists" by promoting a culture of respect and professionalism in the workplace. This can be achieved through education and training on appropriate behavior and boundaries, as well as addressing any instances of misconduct or harassment.

Back