Application of Condensation Sequence to extrasolar systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's research on determining the distances at which certain substances will condense in protoplanetary disks around stars. The Inverse-Square Law is identified as a key factor, but there are other influences such as the luminosity of protostars and friction within the disk. The speaker is seeking help and suggests some useful links for further reading.
PhoenixKnight
I have spent many hours today trying to determine at what distances certain substances will condense in protoplanetary disks around stars or temperatures different to that of our sun.

I have come to the conclusion that the Inverse-Square Law is key to determining this. However, I am unsure as to how I can apply it in this situation.

Also, there seem to be other factors that will have a major influence on results:

1. Luminosity of Protostars is less than that of their eventual main sequence selves, but I can find no information regarding what the luminosity of these stars might be.

2. Friction within the accretion disk might have an effect on temperature, but I cannot determine to what degree.

Any help in this matter will be much appreciated.

~PhoenixKnight

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks! These are very interesting! I think they will help a lot. :D

1. What is the Condensation Sequence?

The Condensation Sequence is a theoretical concept that explains the formation of planets and other objects in a planetary system. It is based on the idea that different materials in a protoplanetary disk will condense at different distances from the central star, due to temperature differences. This leads to the formation of distinct layers of materials, with heavier elements closer to the star and lighter elements further away.

2. How is the Condensation Sequence used in extrasolar systems?

The Condensation Sequence is used to predict the composition and properties of planets and other objects in extrasolar systems. By understanding the temperature differences and condensation points of different materials, scientists can make educated guesses about the types of planets that may form around a particular star.

3. What can the Condensation Sequence tell us about the habitability of a planet?

The Condensation Sequence can give us clues about the potential habitability of a planet. For example, if a planet is located in the "habitable zone" of a star, where liquid water can exist on its surface, the Condensation Sequence can help us determine what types of materials and elements may be present on that planet. This can give us an idea of whether the planet could potentially support life.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Condensation Sequence in extrasolar systems?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Condensation Sequence in extrasolar systems. As it is a theoretical concept, it is not always accurate in predicting the exact composition and properties of planets. Additionally, the actual formation of planets and other objects in a planetary system can be influenced by various factors, such as the presence of gas giants or the influence of neighboring stars.

5. How does the Condensation Sequence contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The Condensation Sequence is an important tool in studying and understanding the formation of planets and other objects in the universe. It helps us make predictions about the types of planets that may exist in other solar systems, and can also give us insights into the chemical composition and potential habitability of these planets. This contributes to our overall understanding of the diversity and complexity of the universe.