Donate for Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid | Doctors Without Borders

• Thread starter cragwolf
  • Start date
In summary, Peter Singer recommends giving a week's worth of wages to Doctors Without Borders as a way to help out with the Indian Ocean earthquake/tsunami disaster. Charities with poor grades consume a significant amount of money, so it's important to choose one that is reliable.
cragwolf
So where are you donating for aid to victims of the Indian Ocean earthquake/tsunami disaster? I chose "Doctors Without Borders". I prefer non-religious based charities. I also don't like the charities which have high bureaucracy costs. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

I found it difficult choosing precisely how much money to give them. I finally decided on 1 week's wage, a relatively paltry amount when you think about it. Peter Singer, the Australian philosopher, argues that we in the affluent countries ought to be giving much more, as much as whatever is left over after necessities. If I did that then I could probably afford to donate like 15 weeks of wages, or perhaps even more. I mean, what is really a necessity?

Whether or not you agree with Singer, the amount we do actually donate every year (not just for disaster relief, but to global charity programs in general) is shamefully low. If we all donated a paltry amount like a week's or a day's wage, then it would certainly make a huge difference. For now, though, I urge you to donate something for the tsunami emergency. Here's a useful link:

https://www.charity.org/news/indian_ocean.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I came across an interview with someone from the American Institute of Philanthropy that rates various charities in terms of reliability, fraction of donation that went to final destination, etc. They had the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders and CARE near the top, and recommended them above others. With the Red Cross, about 92% of your money gets to the needy. Charities with poor grades consume about half the money for their sustenance.

http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html

In the UK, 10 or so of our top charities (all of the ones that i would choose, plus several i wouldn't have considered) have teamed up and pooled all their resources to create a unified tsunami relief effort, so I'd imagine it no longer matters where I send my money, as it will all end up in the same place.

1. What is "Donate for Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid | Doctors Without Borders"?

"Donate for Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid | Doctors Without Borders" is a fundraising campaign to support the humanitarian efforts of Doctors Without Borders (also known as Médecins Sans Frontières) in response to the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster in 2004.

2. Where does the donated money go?

The donated money goes directly to Doctors Without Borders to support their emergency medical response and long-term recovery work in the affected areas. This includes providing medical care, distributing essential supplies, and supporting local healthcare systems.

3. How can I donate?

You can donate to "Donate for Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid | Doctors Without Borders" through their official website or through various third-party fundraising platforms. You can also donate by phone or mail. All donations are tax-deductible.

4. Is my donation tax-deductible?

Yes, all donations to "Donate for Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid | Doctors Without Borders" are tax-deductible. When you donate, you will receive a receipt for your tax records.

5. Can I volunteer with Doctors Without Borders?

Yes, Doctors Without Borders has volunteer opportunities for medical professionals and non-medical personnel. However, due to the ongoing pandemic, volunteer opportunities may be limited. You can visit their website for more information on how to apply to volunteer.