Meals on wheels is serious business

In summary, Greg had to go through a lot of hoops to become a volunteer for Meals on Wheels. He had to pass a physical exam, take a drug test, and more. He is excited to start and help provide meals to those who are not able to do it themselves.
So I decided to start volunteering for Meals on Wheels. The program where meals are delivered to people's homes who have difficulty one way or the other. It's really nothing more than driving to the home and dropping off the tray of food. Today was my medical exam which I needed to pass to start this volunteering. Here is what I needed to do in order to deliver trays of food to home:

Urine drug test
TB test
10pt physical inspection (the usual)
Ability to raise arms 3 times
Ability to swing arms each side 3 times
Ability to squat 3 times
Ability to lift 25lbs 3 times
Ability to climb 3 stairs 3 times
Ability to kneel for 2 minutesWow! I'm 28 and play soccer four times a week. Gimmie a break! Do pizza delivery men get subjected to this joke? Regardless it was free to me and I'm looking forward to starting :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, you're a good guy!

I would guess the simple flexibility and endurance test is more indicative of their tendency to attract older volunteers who might not realize how demanding the job can be.

When my wife was between jobs, she drove for Meals on Wheels, too. Her main problem was that some of the food she had to deliver was unpalatable and she was ashamed to subject people to it. At times, she would make big batches of biscuits at home to make sure that clients were not subjected to the dry crappy biscuits that she was expected to deliver. That was probably against the rules, but how can you expect elderly people to enjoy their one real meal of the day when they are missing so many teeth (or have poorly-fitting dentures) that they can't manage to eat a biscuit with their beans or stew?

Very nice of you to volunteer, Greg. Some of your clients won't get another decent meal all day.

... I was expecting a swimming test. :biggrin:

That's nice Greg :)

I work coordinating and processing volunteers at the moment (part time to fund an internship), many are really surprised at how many hoops they have to jump through! But it's all necessary and it shows who really cares :smile: good for you Greg!

Good on you, Greg. :smile:

Be sure to use good lifting technique, since you will be doing more of that now. Here are some tips:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/backpain/ht/lift.htm

You don't need to worry about the belt mentioned in point #8, but the rest of the tips are good. Especially be careful about leaning into your vehicle to lift stuff out (don't do that), and be careful not to twist while you are lifting. Both of those are easy to do without thinking, and can cause painful back problems.

Have fun helping all those folks! :biggrin:

I wonder what my grocery delivery guys are subjected to, I hope it's something more rigorous than that!
I always feel sorry for them, having to climb three stories up a stairway of 70 degree incline with very heavy crates. It's their fault for claiming to deliver groceries right into the kitchen :biggrin: They do always get a drink once they've regained their composure :wink:

It's great that you volunteer, what a wonderful thing to do to bring a meal to people who are not able to make one for themselves.

My inlaws now both deceased used meals on wheels for months, you are right Turbo, some of the stuff they served was pretty bad, good of your wife to put some well prepared biscuits with the food. Kudo's to you Greg, people like you make a difference in the quality of life of those who are stuggling to keep it together in the face or serious illness, cancer, dementia, etc...

Rhody... :approve:

What is Meals on Wheels?

Meals on Wheels is a non-profit organization that provides nutritious meals to homebound individuals, typically seniors or individuals with disabilities, who are unable to shop or prepare meals for themselves.

How does Meals on Wheels operate?

Meals on Wheels operates by delivering meals directly to the homes of clients using volunteers or paid staff. Meals can be delivered daily, weekly, or on a schedule chosen by the client. The organization also offers a range of other services, such as social interaction and well-being checks.

Who is eligible for Meals on Wheels?

Eligibility for Meals on Wheels varies by location, but typically individuals must be homebound and unable to prepare meals for themselves. This can include seniors, individuals with disabilities, and those recovering from an illness or injury. Some programs also have income requirements.

How is Meals on Wheels funded?

Meals on Wheels is primarily funded through donations and grants, as well as government funding in some areas. Some programs may also charge a small fee for meals, but no one is turned away due to inability to pay.

How can I get involved with Meals on Wheels?

There are many ways to get involved with Meals on Wheels, including volunteering to deliver meals, donating money or food, or even just spreading awareness about the organization. Contact your local Meals on Wheels program to learn more about how you can help.