Solve Equation y=3o(x)4: Inverse o() & 4D Graphs

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving an equation with a given number and finding the value of x using various operators. The participants discussed the possibility of creating a function to represent these operators and the challenges it may present. They also explored different ways of defining the operators and how it could affect the solution process. Ultimately, they concluded that the problem may not have a general solution and may require a "guess and try" approach.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Assuming o(1) is +, o(2) is *, o(3) is ^, etc how would you go about solving an equation such as:
y = 3 o(x) 4 (where y is a given number and you must find x)

I can't imagine how you would isolate x, you'd need an inverse o() of sorts.
ie:
x = o'(3, 4, y) (Hey, a 4d graph needed to represent this one!)

Hmmm... come to think of it:
2 o(x) 2 = 4
x can be any positive integer because 2 o(4) 2 = 2^2 = 2*2 = 2+2
2 o(x) 2 = 2 o(x-1) 2 = ... = 2 + 2 = 4 as long as x is > 2 and whole.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, I think you should approach this problem as a FUNCTIONAL EQUATION

Basically, "+" on N can be seen as a function [tex]f:N\times{N}\to{N}[/tex]

so that given arguments and output, you are to deduce which function on [tex]N\times{N}[/tex] you're after.

I am somewhat pessimistic as to the solvability of such functional equations,
i.e, that we may devise a generally valid procedure to procure the answer.
I think we'll end up with a "guess&try"-method.

You appear to be hiding a lot in the ellipsis "and so on", how many operations are you going to allow? An isolated example won't tell you anything, as you noticed.

X can be any positive integer. I guess it all comes down to: Can we take our standard operators (not even including the inverses, like / or sqrt() or log()) and represent them in this way? Shouldn't there be some way to do this? After all the relationship is simple enough: A + is a series of increments, a * is a series of +, etc.

I guess what it would eventually come to is "What if x isn't an integer?"
ex: 3 o(x) 4 = 5, solve for x. (yikes!)

edit: ... Come to think of it, 3 OR 4 = 5
011 OR
100 =

I don't see why you can't just let the operators be seen as functions from one set of numbers to another set of numbers? :confused:

Alright, so let's say o(3, 4, x) = 5

Where x is the operator. Hmmm... Could use some 4d graphing tools or something. lol

There are an infinite number of binary operators on N such that 3*4=5. I mean, define x*y to be sqrt(x^2+y^2) when this is an integer and 0 otherwise, or xy-7, or x^2-y, or... do I need to continue?
You definition of what constitutes basic is entirely arbitrary, and there is no reason why anything of the nature you desire "must" be true.

Are you saying something along the lines of let: o(1) = +, let y o(n) y = y o(n+1) 2 and y o(n) y o(n)...o(n) y = y o(n+1) p where (p is the number of 'y's' on the LHS)? Cos it's not obvious to me exactly what o(x) is menat to represnet when x isn't equal to 1,2 or 3.

If you intend o(n) to be defined as jcsd described, which I'm betting you do, then this problem is made complicated by the fact that for n above 2, o(n) is neither commutative nor associative. An alternate way of defining o(n) which still has o(1) -> + and o(2) -> * and maintains commutativity and associativity for all n is:

o(1) -> +

exp(ln(x) o(n) ln(y)) = x o(n+1) y

or

ln(exp(x) o(n) exp(y)) = x o(n-1) y

This allows you to extend it to negative integers as well, so it would probably be better to call addition o(0). The downside is that the operation above multiplication is not exponentiation but instead is x^ln(y).

Last edited:
Simply put:
y o(n) y = y o(n+1) 2 when n is a positive integer

Then comes the problem of what -, /, sqrt(), log() are...
Come to think of it: + and * only have one inverse while ^ has two... ^^ has more than two!

3^^4 = 3^3^3^3 = ((3^3)^3)^3 or 3^(3^3)^3 or ...
And you should be able to get 3 and 4 from all of those answers using some function! :eek:

IE: F[((3^3)^3)^3, 3) = 4

1. What is an inverse operation?

An inverse operation is the opposite of a given operation. In this case, the inverse of multiplying by 30 and then raising to the 4th power would be dividing by 30 and then taking the 4th root.

2. How do you solve an equation with inverse operations?

To solve an equation with inverse operations, you need to isolate the variable by performing the inverse operation on both sides of the equation. For example, to solve the equation y=30(x)^4, you would first divide both sides by 30 and then take the 4th root of both sides.

3. What is a 4D graph?

A 4D graph is a graphical representation of a function that has four independent variables. It is a three-dimensional graph with an additional dimension represented by color, size, or shape of the data points.

4. How do you graph a 4D equation?

To graph a 4D equation, you would need to use specialized software or a computer program that can plot four-dimensional data. These graphs can also be created by hand using different colors, sizes, and shapes to represent the fourth dimension.

5. Why is it important to understand inverse operations and 4D graphs?

Understanding inverse operations allows for solving equations and manipulating functions to find solutions or patterns. 4D graphs are important for visualizing and analyzing complex data sets that have multiple independent variables. This can be useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.