Measuring velocity in a pitot-static tube and manometer

In summary, the Pitot-static probe connected to a water manometer can be used to measure air velocity by comparing the change in static pressure between the air and water using Bernoulli's equation. By measuring the change in height in the manometer, the air velocity can be determined using the density of air and gravity.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A Pitot-static probe connected to a water manometer is used to measure the velocity of air. If the deflection (the vertical distance between the fluid levels in the two arms) is 7.3 cm, determine the air velocity. Take the density of air to be 1.25 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

http://composmentisconsulting.com/12-36.jpg

Pressure in a manometer = ρfluidgh

Dynamic pressure from the Bernoulli equation = [itex]\rho \frac{V^2}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I reason that the height change in the water of the manometer is due only to the dynamic pressure entering the device. Therefore,

[tex]\rho_{air} \frac{V^2}{2}=\rho_{H_{2}o}gh[/tex]

[tex]V=\sqrt{2\frac{\rho_{H_{2}O}}{\rho_{air}}gh}[/tex]

[tex]V=\sqrt{2\left (\frac{1000}{1.25} \right )\left (9.81m/s^2 \right )(.073m)}=33.8m/s[/tex]

I think I'm doing the math correctly. I just want to be sure my original assumption (that the pressure in the manometer = dynamic fluid pressure) is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But, how can I relate this to the Bernoulli's equation?

Adam Nur said:
But, how can I relate this to the Bernoulli's equation?
Well, if you don't get any other replies, my take is that you can't. Bernoulli applies to a streamline only, and the pitot and static pressure sensors are not in the same streamline.
Other takes solicited!

Assume your manometer is water. If you look at the manometer on both ends, then you'll see that
P01 = P02
Ps1 + 1/2*rhowater*V12 + rhowater*g*h1 = Ps2 + 1/2*rhowater*V12 + rhowater*g*h2
assuming that the change in height is only dependent on the static pressure,
dPs,water = Ps2 - Ps1 = rhowater*g*(h1 - h2)

Now if you assume that the wind streamline starts at zero (1), and compare to the wind at the inlet to the manometer (2)
P01 = P02
Ps1 + 1/2*rhoair*V12 + rho*g*h1 = Ps2 + 1/2*rhoair*V12 + rho*g*h2
assume that the height is negligible
dPs,air = Ps2 - Ps1 = 1/2*rhoair*(V12 - V22)

Since the change is static pressure of the wind is directly affecting the change in static pressure at the manometer,
dPs,air = dPs,water
rhowater*g*(h1 - h2) = 1/2*rhoair*V22
If you measure the manometer's change in height, then you can find the wind velocity. So yes, your assumption is correct.

1. How does a pitot-static tube measure velocity?

A pitot-static tube uses the principle of Bernoulli's equation to measure the difference in pressure between the impact (pitot) and static ports of the tube. This pressure difference is directly related to the velocity of the fluid flowing through the tube.

2. What is a manometer and how is it used in measuring velocity?

A manometer is a device used to measure pressure. In the context of measuring velocity in a pitot-static tube, a manometer is used to measure the pressure difference between the impact and static ports of the tube. This pressure difference is then used to calculate the velocity of the fluid.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of velocity measurements using a pitot-static tube and manometer?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of velocity measurements using a pitot-static tube and manometer, such as improper alignment of the tube, blockage or distortion of the ports, and changes in fluid density or viscosity. It is important to carefully calibrate and maintain the equipment to ensure accurate measurements.

4. How is the velocity calculated from the pressure difference measured by a manometer?

The velocity is calculated using the following equation: V = √(2ΔP/ρ), where V is the velocity, ΔP is the pressure difference, and ρ is the density of the fluid. This equation is derived from Bernoulli's equation and assumes incompressible, steady, and inviscid flow.

5. What are the advantages of using a pitot-static tube and manometer to measure velocity?

One advantage is that it is a relatively simple and inexpensive method compared to other velocity measurement techniques. It also provides a direct measurement of velocity without the need for complex calculations or assumptions. Additionally, it can be used in a variety of fluid flow scenarios, such as air or water, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.