Solving Manometer Height: Oil & Water

In summary, the manometer with two liquids has oil at 823 kg/m3 and water at 1.00x10^3 kg/m3. The height of the water is 0.269m.
samantha.

Homework Statement

Consider a manometer with a glass bulb (Pgas=88kPa) at one end and which is open to the atmosphere (P =101 kPa) at the other. The manometer has two liquids oil and water in it, as shown. If the oil has a density of 823 kg/m3 and water a density of 1.00x10^3 kg/m3 find the height of the water.

http://s16.postimage.org/9ihj14zir/Screen_shot_2012_04_12_at_3_22_43_PM.png

Homework Equations

P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep deducing the equation to be;

Patm + ρwater*g*H = Pgas + ρoil*g*0.699m

Solving for H, I get 0.750m. The answer though, is 0.269m.

Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
samantha. said:

Homework Statement

Consider a manometer with a glass bulb (Pgas=88kPa) at one end and which is open to the atmosphere (P =101 kPa) at the other. The manometer has two liquids oil and water in it, as shown. If the oil has a density of 823 kg/m3 and water a density of 1.00x10^3 kg/m3 find the height of the water.

http://s16.postimage.org/9ihj14zir/Screen_shot_2012_04_12_at_3_22_43_PM.png

Homework Equations

P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep deducing the equation to be;

Patm + ρwater*g*H = Pgas + ρoil*g*0.699m

Solving for H, I get 0.750m. The answer though, is 0.269m.

Where am I going wrong?
With the values you have (and the figure as it is), the problem is not solvable. No amount of water would ever cause the height of the oil to be 69.9 cm, as depicted in the figure.

I'm guessing the pressure of the gas should be 98 kPa, not 88. It was probably a typo of some sort.

(And just to be nit-picky about this problem, what is the water doing "floating" on oil? Oil is lighter that water. The water would sink to the bottom, and the oil would slurp up replacing the water at the top. Well, unless there's some sort of hidden barrier separating them. Anyway, good luck with it. :wink:)

88kPa is the value given. If it was a typo it wasn't on my part. I noticed the water floating on top of oil.. strange yes. Haha.
I spent half of my night panicking over my exam tomorrow, trying to figure out where I was going wrong in all of these problems that my professor gave me when in fact there's an issue with almost every question.

Thanks for the reply though. :)

By the way, I think your approach to this problem was valid. Try replacing 88 kPa with 98 kPa, and see what happens.

Good luck on your exam tomorrow! :smile:

Thank you, Sir. :)

1. What is a manometer and how does it work?

A manometer is a device used to measure the pressure of a fluid in a closed system. It works by balancing the pressure of the fluid being measured against a known reference pressure, typically atmospheric pressure.

2. Why do I need to solve for the manometer height?

Solving for the manometer height allows you to determine the pressure of the fluid being measured. This is important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as monitoring the pressure in a closed container or measuring the flow rate of a fluid.

3. How do I set up the equation to solve for the manometer height?

The equation for solving manometer height involves balancing the pressure of the two fluids in the manometer, typically oil and water. The equation is P1 + ρgh1 = P2 + ρgh2, where P1 and P2 are the pressures of the fluids, ρ is the density of the fluids, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h1 and h2 are the heights of the fluids in the manometer.

4. What units should I use when solving for the manometer height?

The units used for solving manometer height will depend on the units used for the pressure and density of the fluids. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to get an accurate result. Common units for pressure include pascals, atmospheres, and pounds per square inch (psi), while common units for density include kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) and grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for manometer height?

One common mistake when solving for manometer height is using the wrong reference pressure. It is important to use the same reference pressure for both sides of the equation. Additionally, be sure to use the correct units and double check all calculations to avoid errors.