Which Travels Fastest: Sea Wave, Mercury Wave, or Moon Wave?

• Thread starter Crumbles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect the speed of a surface wave, specifically on the surface of different liquids. It is suggested that denser liquids and higher gravity can increase the speed of a wave. The rough approximation for surface wave velocity is v~sqrt(g*h), where h is the depth of the liquid. It is also mentioned that, intuitively, less dense liquids may actually result in faster surface waves, as seen in the example of a pool of mercury compared to a light foam-like ocean. Ultimately, it is concluded that the fastest surface wave would be on the surface of water.
Crumbles
[a] a wave on the surface of the sea?
a wave on the surface of liquid mercury (dense metal)?
[c] a wave on the surface of liquid mercury on the moon?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that denser liquids, and higher gravity both increase a wave's speed (but I'm only guessing). If I'm right, then would be the fastest.

As far as i remember, the rough approximation to the surface-wave-velocity is v~sqrt(g*h), where h is the depth of the "lake".
now, imho "the denser the liquid - the greater the speed" is conserved for surface waves, so is the answer we are looking for...

I think for surface waves it is the other way around - less dense=faster. Imagine if the ocean was a light foam. Any sort of surface wave you make would travel very fast. Now, if you imagine a pool of mercury it would be much slower because it has more intertia.

So I think the answer is A) water. But I didn't try to use any math so I could be way off because intuition can be misleading...

Using the intuitive approch imagine the first wave being started from within a box where we insantly remove the bottom and one side.

The light foam like water would have much less potential energy stored to convert into kinentic energy. Being less forceful and moving more slowly on the other light foam like water. While the heavy would move more energy in a smaller wave would likly move faster. Same reasoning for taking B over C for the more force in high G.

(Now watch it turn out to be the same for all!)

1. What is a sea wave?

A sea wave is a type of water wave that is created by the movement of wind over the surface of the ocean. This movement causes the water to rise and fall, creating a rolling motion that can travel over long distances.

2. How is a mercury wave different from a sea wave?

A mercury wave is a type of wave that occurs in a tube of mercury, typically in a laboratory setting. This type of wave is created by the movement of the mercury, rather than wind, and it travels through the liquid instead of over the surface like a sea wave.

3. What is a moon wave?

A moon wave, also known as a tidal wave, is a type of water wave that is caused by the gravitational pull of the moon on the Earth's oceans. The moon's gravity creates a bulge in the ocean, causing the water to rise and fall in a predictable pattern.

4. Which of these waves travels fastest?

The speed of a wave depends on several factors, including the medium it is traveling through and the energy used to create it. In general, sea waves and mercury waves travel much faster than moon waves, which have a slower speed due to the large mass of the Earth's oceans.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the speed of different waves?

Understanding the speed of different waves can be useful for various reasons. For example, it can help predict the behavior of ocean currents and tides, which is important for navigation and safety at sea. It can also aid in the design of structures that are meant to withstand the force of waves, such as sea walls and offshore platforms.