If a computer's hardware has no moving parts, does this mean it is 100% solid state?

In summary: If you want to get into more detail, transistors and diodes can be made from materials like germanium, silicon, or gallium arsenide, but these materials are not used in traditional solid state devices due to their high resistance.
thetaobums
Other than the fan and hardrive, nothing else seems to be moving...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Ions in capacitors might move, and electrons move of course, but I think you got all macroscopic parts.
So what?

thetaobums said:
... does this mean it is 100% solid state

No, not by any means. There are capacitors and resistors and stuff, especially in the power supply but also the motherboard.

Solid-state: adjective Electronics .
designating or pertaining to electronic devices, as transistors or crystals, that can control current without the use of moving parts, heated filaments, or vacuum gaps.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solid-state

Solid-state electronics are those circuits or devices built entirely from solid materials and in which the electrons, or other charge carriers, are confined entirely within the solid material.[1] The term is often used to contrast with the earlier technologies of vacuum and gas-discharge tube devices and it is also conventional to exclude electro-mechanical devices (relays, switches, hard drives and other devices with moving parts) from the term solid state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_(electronics )

Last edited by a moderator:

I would agree that computers can be considered solid state devices if you exclude the hard drives and fans. If you use a SSD (solid state drive) then it's just the fans. And if you use a low-power device like the Rasperry Pi, with only an SD card and passive cooling--well, you're there.

NeuronsAtWork said:
I would agree that computers can be considered solid state devices if you exclude the hard drives and fans. If you use a SSD (solid state drive) then it's just the fans. And if you use a low-power device like the Rasperry Pi, with only an SD card and passive cooling--well, you're there.

So you think the power supply is solid state with no resistors and capacitors and inductors? Do you really think solid state devices alone can convert 110V wall power to 12V DC power?

phinds said:
So you think the power supply is solid state with no resistors and capacitors and inductors? Do you really think solid state devices alone can convert 110V wall power to 12V DC power?

If you accept the definitions of "solid-state" in post #4 above, then yes.

Bobbywhy said:
If you accept the definitions of "solid-state" in post #4 above, then yes.

So you think the resistors, capacitors, inductors and so forth are "transistors or crystals" ?

phinds said:
So you think the resistors, capacitors, inductors and so forth are "transistors or crystals" ?

the definitinon referred to is this: (I have added the word "such" to show that there are two examples of electronic devices given)

"electronic devices, (such) as transistors or crystals, that can control current without the use of moving parts, heated filaments, or vacuum gaps."

The key point is that solid-state devices do NOT have moving parts, heated filaments (like vacuum tubes), or vacuum gaps.

Of course a "wall-wort" that converts 110VAC to 12 VDC which contains a transformer, rectifier diodes, and filter capacitors would be considered "solid-state" because it does not contain those three items mentioned in the above definition.

Bobbywhy said:
Of course a "wall-wort" that converts 110VAC to 12 VDC which contains a transformer, rectifier diodes, and filter capacitors would be considered "solid-state" because it does not contain those three items mentioned in the above definition.

Sounds like nonsense to me. "Solid state" is normally a term used to discuss active circuitry that uses crystalline substrates such as silicon, as opposed to vacuum tubes. I've never heard it used to describe resistors, capacitors, or inductors (unless same are part of the silicon substrate which they most certainly are not in a power supply).

It's safe to say that a computer with no moving parts can be referred to as a computer with no moving parts. Is that not good enough?

Jakeus314 said:
It's safe to say that a computer with no moving parts can be referred to as a computer with no moving parts. Is that not good enough?

It would be fine, if it had been the original question, but it wasn't. The question was is it solid state throughout. I prefer to answer the question that was asked rather than make up my own and answer it.

Traditionally, a "solid state device" was used to denote a device that relied on transistors, or solid semiconductors, rather than vacuum tubes. However, since resistors and capacitors are still needed in most any circuit with transistors, just as they were also used with tubes, i would consider the presence of resistors and capacitors immaterial of whether the device is solid state or not.

Since vacuum tubes are rarely used outside the high performance audio and sometimes RF world, when people say "solid state" today, they usually are referring to a device with no mechanical parts. A "solid state relay" still has resistors and capacitors inside, and often times optoisolators (LEDs), but everyone still calls it a solid state device.

mp3car said:
Traditionally, a "solid state device" was used to denote a device that relied on transistors, or solid semiconductors, rather than vacuum tubes. However, since resistors and capacitors are still needed in most any circuit with transistors, just as they were also used with tubes, i would consider the presence of resistors and capacitors immaterial of whether the device is solid state or not.

Since vacuum tubes are rarely used outside the high performance audio and sometimes RF world, when people say "solid state" today, they usually are referring to a device with no mechanical parts. A "solid state relay" still has resistors and capacitors inside, and often times optoisolators (LEDs), but everyone still calls it a solid state device.

OK, I see what you mean, and maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but to me "100% solid state throught" does NOT include standalone resistors, caps, etc. To me a silicon logic chip such as a CPU is what's "100% solid state throughout"

In case it helps, I still remember the first hand-held radio that I had back in the late 1960s. It was a small black Emerson radio, and it was labeled "Solid State", to advertise the fact that it was built with transistors instead of vacuum tubes.

So a more correct terminology would be to call computers "Solid State Devices", since they do not use vacuum tubes. To say 100% solid state is the confusing part.

BTW, on second thought, many personal computer systems are not Solid State. Hah! Quiz Question -- why not? :biggrin:

phinds said:
It would be fine, if it had been the original question, but it wasn't. The question was is it solid state throughout. I prefer to answer the question that was asked rather than make up my own and answer it.

I'm just questioning the need to categorize devices in this manor... Is that inappropriate here?

Jakeus314 said:
I'm just questioning the need to categorize devices in this manor... Is that inappropriate here?

Is what inappropriate? The original question was not stated very well, and that led to disagreements in how to try to answer the question.

thetaobums said:
If a computer's hardware has no moving parts, does this mean it is 100% solid state?
No. As [some] others have pointed out, ¨solid state¨ as generally applied to electronic equipment means it contains no thermionic devices. I recall it first popularized as a selling feature in the adverts of equipment such as home stereo amplifiers and ham radio transmitters—¨All Solid State¨ they proclaimed—where the final amplifier stages had until that time stubbornly held to thermionic valves.

¨Solid state¨ is not contingent upon an absence of moving mechanical parts. Just as it is not related to an absence of liquid coolants or gel thermal pastes, etc. :smile:

1. What is a solid state computer?

A solid state computer is a type of computer that uses solid state components, such as transistors and integrated circuits, instead of traditional mechanical parts like gears and motors. This allows for faster and more efficient processing of data.

2. How does a solid state computer differ from a traditional computer?

A solid state computer differs from a traditional computer in that it does not have any moving parts, making it more reliable and less prone to mechanical failures. It also uses less power and produces less heat, making it more energy-efficient.

3. Can a computer be 100% solid state?

While a computer can be primarily solid state, it is not possible for it to be 100% solid state. This is because some components, such as the power supply, still require moving parts to function. However, the majority of a computer's hardware can be solid state.

4. What are the benefits of a solid state computer?

One of the main benefits of a solid state computer is its speed and efficiency. Solid state components can process data much faster than traditional mechanical parts, leading to quicker boot times and faster overall performance. They also consume less power and are more durable, resulting in longer lifespan and lower maintenance costs.

5. Are there any downsides to a solid state computer?

While solid state computers have many advantages, there are some downsides to consider. One is the higher cost of solid state components compared to traditional mechanical parts. Additionally, solid state components can be more difficult to repair or replace if they do fail. However, the benefits of speed, efficiency, and reliability often outweigh these drawbacks.