Rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping

In summary, the human body uses oxygen to react with fats, carbohydrates, and protein, releasing energy at a rate of 2.180×104 J/L. For a 71.40 kg man who requires 81.00 W of power even while sleeping, his rate of oxygen consumption is approximately 3.72 mL/sec. This is calculated by dividing the power by the force and gravity, rather than the rate, as originally attempted.
omc1

Homework Statement

The oxygen taken in by the body reacts with fats, carbohydrates, and protein, liberating energy internally at a rate of about 2.180×104 J/L. If a 71.40 kg man requires 81.00 W of power even while sleeping, what is his rate of oxygen consumption?

Homework Equations

p=fv
f=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i found a value for v but iam not sure how the internal energy plays into the answer? the value i got for v is wrong so iam not sure if i did the problem wrong or if it has to do with the other rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you did and how yo got the (incorrect) value. It is not clear to me what should be the unit of your answer - L/min? mL/sec? Something else? These can be easily interconverted though.

81 W - how many J per second? How many liter of oxygen per this number of J?

i divided the power by force(mg) to find v but i see that i would need to cancel the jouls out. my answer can be in mL/sec...

Is the answer is approximately 3.72 mL/sec?

omc1 said:
i divided the power by force(mg) to find v

That's off.

my answer can be in mL/sec...

OK. Follow the reasoning from my previous post - have you at least tried to understand it?

oh i see the watt is equal to J/s and the initial rate in J/ml is 21.8 so i just divide to get ml/s. thanks

@Nuke done, i think you're right

1. What is the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping?

The rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping varies depending on factors such as age, weight, and overall health. On average, a healthy adult typically consumes about 250-350 milliliters of oxygen per minute while sleeping.

2. How does the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping differ from when awake?

The rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping is generally lower compared to when awake. This is because the body's metabolic rate and energy needs are reduced during sleep, resulting in less oxygen being consumed.

3. Can sleeping position affect the rate of oxygen consumption?

Yes, sleeping position can affect the rate of oxygen consumption. Research has shown that sleeping on your back may lead to a higher rate of oxygen consumption, while sleeping on your side or stomach may result in a lower rate.

4. How does sleep apnea affect the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping?

Sleep apnea, a disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep, can significantly impact the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping. This is because the pauses in breathing can cause a decrease in oxygen levels in the body, leading to a higher rate of oxygen consumption to compensate.

5. Is there a way to measure the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping?

Yes, the rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping can be measured using a device called a pulse oximeter. This non-invasive device measures oxygen saturation levels in the blood and can give an estimate of the rate of oxygen consumption during sleep.