Scientists heed call, but few can find jobs

• Thread starter JFrankParnell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: It's interesting to see that the unemployment rate for physicists is low when you consider that a large percentage of them are working outside of their field. Furthermore, the article does not mention the unemployment rates for mathematicians or statisticians, which may be because most chem graduates are in bio/organic instead of analytical/physical.In summary, Physicists seem to be doing well, although the unemployment rate is masked by the number of PhD-level physicists who are working outside of their field. Furthermore, the article does not mention the unemployment rates for mathematicians or statisticians.
JFrankParnell
Came across this a few months ago and thought it might be of interest here. This excerpt was most interesting to me:
Two groups seem to be doing better than other scientists: physicists and physicians. The unemployment rate among those two groups hovers around 1 to 2 percent, according to surveys from NSF and other groups. Physicists end up working in many technical fields -- and some go to Wall Street -- while the demand for doctors continues to climb as the U.S. population grows and ages.

link

Physics news on Phys.org
I find the excerpt interesting with respect to physicists, because from what I have gathered from the commentary here on Physics Forums, while it may indeed be true that the unemployment rate for physicists may be low, that low figure is masked by the number of PhD-level physicists who are working outside of their field. In terms of landing an academic posting (at least as far as the US is concerned), the situation is probably as grim for physicists as it is for other scientists as quoted in the online article.

As an aside, I find it interesting that there is no mention about mathematicians or statisticians in this article.

I wouldn't doubt the pain of PhD chemists at all. 38% employment rate for new chemistry Phds is probably high due to the fact that it was an ACS survey (they probably include temp jobs that have almost 0 job security and low paying post docs as being "employed"). Choose wisely and always have a backup plan. If I can't find a job after my studies, I'll probably open up a bakery.

gravenewworld said:
I wouldn't doubt the pain of PhD chemists at all. 38% employment rate for new chemistry Phds is probably high due to the fact that it was an ACS survey (they probably include temp jobs that have almost 0 job security and low paying post docs as being "employed"). Choose wisely and always have a backup plan. If I can't find a job after my studies, I'll probably open up a bakery.

that may be because most chem graduates are in bio/organic instead of analytical/physical.

: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/08/02/scientists-heed-call-few-can-find-jobs

The findings presented in this article are concerning and highlight the challenges faced by many scientists in finding employment. While it is encouraging to see that physicists and physicians have lower unemployment rates, it is important to also consider the broader implications of this trend.

The fact that physicists are finding employment in non-traditional fields, such as Wall Street, raises questions about the current job market for scientific research. Are there enough opportunities for physicists to pursue their passion for scientific discovery in traditional research settings? Are we undervaluing the contributions of scientists in fields outside of physics and medicine?

Furthermore, the increasing demand for doctors due to population growth and aging highlights the need for continued investment in healthcare and medical research. This also raises questions about the distribution of resources and funding for different areas of scientific research. Are we adequately supporting the diverse range of scientific fields and their potential contributions to society?

As scientists, it is important for us to not only be aware of these trends but also to actively engage in discussions and advocacy for the importance of scientific research in all fields. We must continue to push for funding and support for scientific research, and to encourage diversity and innovation in the scientific community. Only then can we truly harness the potential of science to address the challenges facing our world today.

1. What is the current job market like for scientists?

The job market for scientists is highly competitive and can be difficult to navigate. While there is a demand for scientific expertise in various industries, there are often fewer job opportunities available compared to the number of qualified candidates.

2. Why is it challenging for scientists to find jobs?

There are a few reasons why it can be challenging for scientists to find jobs. Firstly, there is a growing number of individuals pursuing careers in science, leading to a larger pool of qualified candidates. Additionally, some industries may not have a high demand for scientific positions, making it difficult to find job openings.

3. Are there any specific fields of science that have better job prospects?

Yes, there are certain fields of science that have better job prospects than others. For example, fields such as biotechnology, data science, and environmental science are currently in high demand. It's important for scientists to stay updated on industry trends and job market projections to increase their chances of finding employment.

4. How can scientists increase their chances of finding a job?

One way for scientists to increase their chances of finding a job is by gaining practical experience through internships or research positions. Networking and building connections within their field can also be helpful in learning about job opportunities. Additionally, staying updated on industry developments and continuously improving skills can make candidates more competitive in the job market.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help scientists with job searching?

Yes, there are various resources and programs available to assist scientists with job searching. These include career counseling services, job search websites, and professional organizations that offer networking opportunities and job postings. Some universities also have job placement services for recent graduates in scientific fields.