Creating my own wireless communication system

In summary: You would need an antenna, a transceiver, and a microprocessor to make this happen. The antenna would be designed for the specific frequency range you would want to transmit on. There are some simple antenna designs, like the inverted F antenna you could look up on the internet. But my advice would be to buy the antenna from farnell.com or perhaps RS components. The transceiver is a complex piece of hardware. It's purpose is to translate the signals in the air into a bitstream. Also, it will have to translate a bitstream into a signal. The way it does this is by digital demodulation and digital modulation. If you want you can look up on
Bipolarity
I don't have much experience in EE, but for a project, I was wondering if I could create a device that can wirelessly transmit short binary strings from one end of a classroom to another. Would it be a feasible project for a freshman student of electrical engineering?

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wooah. Hello there..

The straight answer would be - No. It's too complex.

But since I know that if I were you, I would probably not be satisfied with that answer, and demand an instruction so I could choose myself :D

Well first of all, the things you would need is

Antenna, Transceiver, Microprocessor - Not very complex eh?

The problem is, it would be very difficult to build all of this yourself. You would probably end up buying all of them, and then just programming the Microprocessor.

The Antenna would have to be designed for the specific frequency range you would want to transmit on. There are some simple antenna designs, like the inverted F antenna you could look up on. But my advice would be to buy the antenna from farnell.com or perhaps RS components.

The transceiver is a complex piece of hardware. It's purpose is to translate the signals in the air into a bitstream. Also, it will have to translate a bitstream into a signal.

The way it does this is by digital demodulation and digital modulation. If you want you can look up on ASK Modulation (Amplitude Shift Keying), which would be one of the ways to do it.

So the Transceiver spits out a bitstream. This bitstream would then be received by your Microprocessor which can then decode the message depending on how you have decided to arrange the bits in a protocol.

But I would recommend that you buy all of the stuff and then program the Microcontroller. For learning purposes, you could look into the modulation schemes, but I really think it will be problematic, if you haven't learned about Fourier transformations yet.

Bipolarity,

Please do not be discouraged by the above pessimistic post. Remember that Radio Frequency (RF) energy is not the only means we can use to send short binary strings from one end of a classroom to another. Consider using Optical Frequencies. There are many infrared and visible light emitting diodes available to transmit pulses. For receiving those pulses there are entire families of phototransistors and photodiodes. Additionally, there is a wide variety of receiver and transmitter simple circuits available for free. After a few minutes of searching I found these possibilities you can consider:

http://www.freshpatents.com/Optical-transmitter-and-optical-receiver-dt20061207ptan20060275041.php
http://www.google.com/patents/US7650082
http://www.explorecircuits.com/index.php/component/content/article/68.html
www.ece.ucsb.edu/…asses/ece2c/labs/Lab4_2C_2009.pdf [Broken]

Let us know here on Physics Forums how your project goes.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't achieve it by radio: far too difficult for a beginner.
Infrared maybe.

It wasn't being pessimistic. My thoughts were in the RF direction, and that is a complex area. Of course anything is possible if you want to buy everything, but if he wants to build it all from scratch then it requires a bit more than being a beginner. Its simply being realistic.

Emphasize. RF needs several years of uncompressible learning time for a gifted person.

I do not think this would really be that complex - unless you mean to build 100% from scratch and understanding every component, and it is anywhere on par with modern equiment - I guess it is the "create a device" that needs more clarification.

A simple Morse code type tone fed into an FM transmitter kit - and revived by a FM radio will do this - or if this is part of a larger project and you want to build a device from sub-functional parts to do this there are bluetooth and wifi kits as well. -- that seems appropriate for 1st year EE -

These can technically do what you are asking - again you do not mention how you are going to generate the sting ( Manually, Serial, some other source).

The OP said "create a wirelesss communication system".

IMO that's not the same as "build a radio transmitter and reciever" (and for extra credit make your own cat's whiskers instead of buying semiconductors).

Bipolarity said:
I don't have much experience in EE, but for a project, I was wondering if I could create a device that can wirelessly transmit short binary strings from one end of a classroom to another. Would it be a feasible project for a freshman student of electrical engineering?

BiP

When you hold your TV remote control in your hand and push one of the buttons you are "wirelessly transmit(ing) short binary strings from one end of a classroom (living room)to another" by means of infrared pulses.

What is a wireless communication system and why would I want to create my own?

A wireless communication system is a network that allows devices to communicate without the use of physical wires or cables. It uses radio waves or infrared signals to transmit data. Creating your own wireless communication system allows you to have control over the technology and customize it to your specific needs.

What are the basic components of a wireless communication system?

The basic components of a wireless communication system include a transmitter, receiver, antenna, and a medium for transmission. The transmitter converts the data into a signal that can be transmitted wirelessly, while the receiver decodes the signal and converts it back into usable data. The antenna is responsible for sending and receiving the signals, and the medium for transmission can be air, water, or space.

What are the steps involved in creating my own wireless communication system?

The first step is to determine the purpose of your system and the type of data you want to transmit. Next, you will need to choose the appropriate technology and components, such as the frequency band and modulation technique. Then, you will need to design and build the hardware and software components, including the transmitter, receiver, and antenna. Finally, you will need to test and troubleshoot your system to ensure it is functioning properly.

What are some challenges involved in creating a wireless communication system?

Creating a wireless communication system can be challenging due to the complex technology and various factors that can affect the performance, such as interference, signal attenuation, and security. It also requires a good understanding of wireless communication principles and the ability to troubleshoot and debug any issues that may arise.

What are some potential applications for a custom wireless communication system?

A custom wireless communication system can have various applications, including remote control systems, wireless sensors, telemetry systems, and wireless networks. It can also be used in industries such as healthcare, transportation, and military for data transmission and communication purposes.