Proof of Induction: Homework Statement

In summary: The instructions were very clear regarding solving by induction.I'm sorry i forgot to tell you that i added the results from the left hand side and the right hand side from k=5 to n-4. I'm sorry i didn't tell you earlier.Ok. Did you cite this thread as a reference for the solution?Ok. Did you cite this thread as a reference for the solution?Yes i did.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let [tex]U_{n}=\frac{n^{2}}{2^{n}}[/tex] for every n in N

1) For every n>0 let [tex]V_{n}=\frac{U_{n+1}}{U_{n}}[/tex]

a) Prove that [tex]\lim V_{n}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

b) For every n>0 prove that: [tex]V_{n}>\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

c) First the smallest natural number N such that : [tex]n\geq N\Rightarrow V_{n}<\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

d) Conclude that [tex]n\geq N\Rightarrow U_{n+1}<\frac{3}{4}U_{n}[/tex]

2) We want to show that [tex](S_{n})_{n\geq5}[/tex] is convergent such that:

Sn=U5+U6+U7+...+Un

a) Prove by induction that for every natural number greater than 5: [tex]U_{n}<(\frac{3}{4})^{n-5}U_{5}[/tex]

b) Prove also by induction that for every natural number greater than 5:

Sn≤[1+(3/4)+(3/2)^2+...+(3/4)^(n-5)]U5

c) Conclude that Sn≤4U5 for every n≥5

3) Prove that [tex](S_{n})_{n\geq5}[/tex] is monotone increasing and conclude that it is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved 1) a and b and stuck on c and d.

For number 2-a I showed that U5≤U5 and I need to know how to show that Un+1≤(3/4)^n-4U5.

I have no idea on b and c and number 3.

Thanks for any help before hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\displaystyle U_{n}=\frac{n^{2}}{2^{n}}[/itex] for every n in N

1) For every n>0 let [itex]\displaystyle V_{n}=\frac{U_{n+1}}{U_{n}}[/itex]

a) Prove that [itex]\lim V_{n}=\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

b) For every n>0 prove that: [itex]V_{n}>\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

c) First the smallest natural number N such that : [itex]n\geq N\Rightarrow V_{n}<\frac{3}{4}[/itex]

d) Conclude that [itex]n\geq N\Rightarrow U_{n+1}<\frac{3}{4}U_{n}[/itex]

2) We want to show that [itex](S_{n})_{n\geq5}[/itex] is convergent such that:

Sn=U5+U6+U7+...+Un

a) Prove by induction that for every natural number greater than 5: [itex]\ \ U_{n}<(\frac{3}{4})^{n-5}U_{5}[/itex]

b) Prove also by induction that for every natural number greater than 5:

Sn≤[1+(3/4)+(3/2)^2+...+(3/4)^(n-5)]U5

c) Conclude that Sn≤4U5 for every n≥5

3) Prove that [itex](S_{n})_{n\geq5}[/itex] is monotone increasing and conclude that it is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved 1) a and b and stuck on c and d.

For number 2-a I showed that U5≤U5 and I need to know how to show that Un+1≤(3/4)^n-4U5.

I have no idea on b and c and number 3.

Thanks for any help before hand.

For C:

What is [itex]\displaystyle V_{n}\ ?[/itex]

Do you see how to get the answer to D from the answer to C ?

SammyS said:
For C:

What is [itex]\displaystyle V_{n}\ ?[/itex]

Do you see how to get the answer to D from the answer to C ?

Vn=(Un+1)/(Un) And I counted the difference Vn-(3/4) I got a polynomial of -n^2+4n+1 over 8n^2 and found that the answer N=5 is that correct??

Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
Vn=(Un+1)/(Un) should i count the difference of Vn-(3/4).
Of course. How about the result after plugging in the specific expressions for Un and Un+1 ?

SammyS said:
Of course. How about the result after plugging in the specific expressions for Un and Un+1 ?

Well since Vn=(Un+1)/Un and we proved that Vn<3/4 then (Un+1)/Un<3/4 therefore:

Un+1<(3/4)Un. By the way in my previous quote i found N=5.

Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
Well since Vn=(Un+1)/Un and we proved that Vn<3/4 then (Un+1)/Un<3/4 therefore:

Un+1<(3/4)Un. By the way in my previous quote i found N=5.
Yes, 5 is correct.

#2. (a) says:
Prove by induction that for every natural number greater than 5: [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{n}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{n-5}U_{5}\ .[/itex]​
So show that it's true for n=6, not n=5 .

So, assume that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{k}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{k-5}U_{5}\ [/itex] is true for some k ≥ 6 . From that assumption, show that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{k+1}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{(k+1)-5}U_{5}\ [/itex] is true.

SammyS said:
Yes, 5 is correct.

#2. (a) says:
Prove by induction that for every natural number greater than 5: [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{n}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{n-5}U_{5}\ .[/itex]​
So show that it's true for n=6, not n=5 .

So, assume that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{k}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{k-5}U_{5}\ [/itex] is true for some k ≥ 6 . From that assumption, show that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ U_{k+1}<\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^{(k+1)-5}U_{5}\ [/itex] is true.

I'm sorry it is greater than or equal to 5. So for n=5 we get U5≤U5 and that's true.

So we assume Un≤(3/4)^(n-5)U5 and we show that Uk+1≤(3/4)^(k-4)U5 is true.

Ok this is what i got :

[tex]U_{k+1}-(\frac{3}{4})^{k-4}U_{5}=\frac{32(k+1)^{2}-((\frac{3}{4})^{k-4}(25\cdot2^{k+1})}{25\cdot2^{k+1}}[/tex] and i assume that that is negative because n^2≤2^n so therefore (n+1)^2≤2^(n+1) . So we get the numerator to be less than or equal to zero and the denominator is positive so the difference is negative. is that correct??

mtayab1994 said:
Ok this is what i got :

[tex]U_{k+1}-(\frac{3}{4})^{k-4}U_{5}=\frac{32(k+1)^{2}-((\frac{3}{4})^{k-4}(25\cdot2^{k+1})}{25\cdot2^{k+1}}[/tex] and i assume that that is negative because n^2≤2^n so therefore (n+1)^2≤2^(n+1) . So we get the numerator to be less than or equal to zero and the denominator is positive so the difference is negative. is that correct??
Is that the result of using induction?

SammyS said:
Is that the result of using induction?

No it's not i did a different way i added the left side and the right side from k=5 to k=n-5 and then I added the results from the left hand side and the left hand side and i found that Uk+1≤(3/4)^(n-5)U5. I've also solved all of the other ones as well. Thanks for you help.

mtayab1994 said:
No it's not i did a different way i added the left side and the right side from k=5 to k=n-5 and then I added the results from the left hand side and the left hand side and i found that Uk+1≤(3/4)^(n-5)U5. I've also solved all of the other ones as well. Thanks for you help.
The instructions were very clear regarding solving by induction.

What is "Proof of Induction"?

"Proof of Induction" is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any one natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number.

What is the purpose of using "Proof of Induction"?

The purpose of using "Proof of Induction" is to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers, without having to check every single number individually. It allows for a more concise and efficient way of proving mathematical statements.

What are the steps for "Proof of Induction"?

The steps for "Proof of Induction" are as follows:

1. Base Case: Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 0 or 1).
  2. Inductive Hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for any one natural number, called k.
  3. Inductive Step: Show that if the statement is true for k, it must also be true for the next natural number, k+1.
  4. Conclusion: By using the above steps, we can conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What are some common mistakes when using "Proof of Induction"?

Some common mistakes when using "Proof of Induction" include:

• Forgetting to prove the base case.
  • Assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers instead of just one.
  • Making incorrect assumptions in the inductive step.
  • Using circular reasoning.
  • Not clearly stating the inductive hypothesis.

What are some examples of using "Proof of Induction"?

Some examples of using "Proof of Induction" include proving statements about the sum of natural numbers, the Fibonacci sequence, and the binomial theorem. For example, using "Proof of Induction," we can prove that the sum of the first n natural numbers is equal to n(n+1)/2 for all natural numbers.