Square of transpose of two matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of [(A + B)t]2 when given two square matrices A and B of order n satisfying the equations AB = A and BA = B. The conversation progresses with the OP attempting to use the given equations to simplify the expression and arriving at A^t A^t + B^t + A^t + B^t B^t. The other user then suggests investigating ABA and provides a hint. Eventually, it is deduced that the value of [(A + B)t]2 is equal to 2(A^t + B^t). The conversation also briefly touches upon the rules for providing help on online forums.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Let A and B be two square matrices of order n such that AB = A and BA = B. Then, what is the value of [(A + B)t]2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[(A + B)t]2 = AtAt + AtBt + BtAt + BtBt.

I tried to use the fact that AB = A and BA = B to keep going but I didn't succeed at it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember what [itex] (AB)^T[/itex] is in terms of [itex]A^T[/itex] and [itex]B^T[/itex]? Have you tried using that?

yeah, the expression would look like [itex] A^t A^t + (BA)^t + (AB)^t + B^t B^t = A^t A^t + B^t + A^t + B^t B^t [/itex]. But I have a tendency to go down paths that take me nowhere when messing around with equations and expressions.. That is where I got stuck in the first place..

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
[itex]A^t A^t + B^t + A^t + B^t B^t [/itex]
I don't understand how you would know when you have the desired answer. But you can simplify the above further. Investigate ABA.

The possible answers are:

(i) [itex] (A+B)^2 [/itex]; (ii) [itex] 2(A^t B^t) [/itex]; (iii) [itex] 2(A^t+B^t) [/itex]; (iv) [itex] A^t+B^t [/itex]; (v) [itex] A^tB^t [/itex];

With the hint given by haruspex you can arrive at one of those!

Find two ways to write [itex]ABA[/itex]!

[itex] (AA)^t + B^t + A^t + (BB)^t = (ABA)^t + B^t + A^t + (BAB)^t = (AB)^t + B^t + A^t + (BA)^t = (A)^t + B^t + A^t + (B)^t = 2(A^t + B^t) [/itex]

Is that correct!?

Yes. At least that's what I got too :-)

Do you know where the thread is in which they describe how much we are allowed to help I am HW forums? I can't find it and therefore I am limiting myself to remarks like above.

I didn't even know there were rules on that, oh well.. Thanks!

Yuu Suzumi said:
Yes. At least that's what I got too :-)

Do you know where the thread is in which they describe how much we are allowed to help I am HW forums? I can't find it and therefore I am limiting myself to remarks like above.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380 Solving the problem for them is right out. I'd say give them the smallest clue you think will get them heading in the right direction. The hints you gave so far worked fine, I wouldn't do more even if it is tempting to do so.

Dick said:
I'd say give them the smallest clue you think will get them heading in the right direction.

Thanks! That is a policy I can endorse. We want the OP to feel proud of his solution, after all.

1. What is the square of the transpose of two matrices?

The square of the transpose of two matrices is the result of multiplying the transpose of the first matrix by the transpose of the second matrix. This operation is only possible when the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

2. How do you calculate the square of the transpose of two matrices?

To calculate the square of the transpose of two matrices, first find the transpose of each matrix by interchanging its rows and columns. Then, multiply the transposed matrices together using the usual rules of matrix multiplication.

3. What is the significance of finding the square of the transpose of two matrices?

The square of the transpose of two matrices is a useful operation in linear algebra and can be used to solve various problems, such as finding the inverse of a matrix or solving systems of linear equations. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can the square of the transpose of two matrices be calculated for any type of matrices?

No, the square of the transpose of two matrices can only be calculated if the matrices are square matrices (i.e. have the same number of rows and columns) and have compatible dimensions (i.e. the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix).

5. How does the square of the transpose of two matrices differ from the transpose of the square of two matrices?

The square of the transpose of two matrices is the result of multiplying the transposed matrices, while the transpose of the square of two matrices is the result of transposing the multiplied matrices. In other words, the order of operations is different, and the resulting matrices may have different dimensions.