Rise and fall of capillary action

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a capillary of radius 0.08 cm to test for capillary rise action. The formula for this is T=hrgρ/2cosθ. The calculated value for the rise in water is requested, as well as the fall in mercury and how to show it as a negative value. The person also wants the calculated values for the rise in water and mercury using the same radius, but with different liquids such as glycerin. They also request for 5 different liquids with their important values for calculation, such as θ, ρ, and surface tension. The person is in a hurry and needs a response within 12 hours.
whyonlyme
Assume that I have capillary of radius 0.08 cm.

I want to test this capillary for capillary rise action.

Formula will be

T=hrgρ/2cosθ

what will be the rise for water.. ( please tell me the calculated value)

And, what will be the fall in mercury. ( How to show it negative as its height falls in capillary.

I also want the calculated value of height of water rise in radius of 0.08 cm or of any radius,
with same radius I need the capillary rise in mercury, glycerin, and two to three other liquids..

Atleast, provide me the 5 liquids with their imp. values for calculation such as θ, ρ, and surface tension..

Thnx in advance, and please, be fast, cause I need it in under 12 hours..

Physics news on Phys.org
No answer?? Please be hurry..

We have a forum for homework. Please do not post your homework in the science forums and expect people to give you answers, especially without doing any work yourself.

1. What is capillary action and how does it work?

Capillary action is the movement of liquids through narrow spaces, such as tiny tubes or pores, due to the forces of cohesion and adhesion. Cohesion is the attraction between molecules of the same substance, while adhesion is the attraction between molecules of different substances. These forces allow liquids to climb up surfaces against gravity.

2. What factors affect the rise and fall of capillary action?

The rise and fall of capillary action can be affected by the size and shape of the capillary, the properties of the liquid, and the surface tension of the liquid. The thinner and narrower the capillary, the higher the liquid will rise. The type of liquid and its viscosity also play a role, as well as the surface tension, which is the force between the liquid and the surface it is in contact with.

3. What are some real-life examples of capillary action?

Capillary action is responsible for many natural phenomena, such as the movement of water through plants and the formation of dew on leaves. It is also used in various man-made devices, such as ink pens, wicking fabrics, and paper towels. Additionally, capillary action is important in medical procedures, such as blood tests and dialysis.

4. Can capillary action be reversed?

Yes, capillary action can be reversed through various methods. One way is by increasing the gravitational force, which can overcome the forces of cohesion and adhesion and cause the liquid to fall. Another way is by introducing a substance, such as oil, that reduces the surface tension of the liquid and prevents it from rising.

5. How does temperature affect capillary action?

The temperature can affect the rise and fall of capillary action in various ways. As temperature increases, the surface tension of the liquid decreases, causing it to rise higher in the capillary. However, extremely high temperatures can also cause the liquid to evaporate quickly, reducing the rise of capillary action. Additionally, extreme cold temperatures can cause the liquid to freeze and block the capillary, preventing any rise or fall.