Choosing right statistics,regression method

• Thread starter Milentije
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, choosing the appropriate statistics and regression method is essential for accurately analyzing and interpreting data. The choice of method depends on the type of data and research question, and can include linear regression, logistic regression, multiple regression, and hierarchical regression. It is common to use multiple methods in data analysis, but it is important to properly interpret and report the results of each separately. To ensure valid and reliable results, it is crucial to carefully select and apply the appropriate method and thoroughly check for potential sources of error in the data.
Milentije
I have a crooked line of data points,want to project data on the straight line.If I go standard least-square method,some of the points change their position to each other,this is not want I a want.Anyone has idea about regresion methods or some other statistics,except classical y=bx+c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Milentije.

What do you mean by change their position to each other? Can you describe this (or perhaps provide a picture)?

1. What is the purpose of choosing the right statistics and regression method?

Choosing the appropriate statistics and regression method is crucial for accurately analyzing and interpreting data. These methods help to identify relationships and patterns in the data, make predictions, and draw conclusions.

2. How do I determine which statistics and regression method to use?

The choice of statistics and regression method depends on the type of data and research question. For example, if you have a continuous outcome variable, linear regression may be appropriate. If you have a categorical outcome variable, logistic regression may be more suitable. It is important to consult with a statistician or conduct thorough research to determine the best method for your specific data and research question.

3. What are the common types of regression methods?

Some common regression methods include linear regression, logistic regression, multiple regression, and hierarchical regression. Other types include nonlinear regression, polynomial regression, and time series regression. Each method has its own assumptions and is used for different types of data and research questions.

4. Can I use more than one regression method in my analysis?

It is common to use multiple regression methods in data analysis. This can be done to compare results or to address different aspects of the research question. However, it is important to properly interpret and report the results of each method separately.

5. How do I know if the regression results are valid and reliable?

The validity and reliability of regression results depend on several factors, including the quality of the data, the appropriateness of the chosen method, and the accuracy of the assumptions. To ensure valid and reliable results, it is important to carefully select and apply the appropriate statistics and regression method, and to thoroughly check the assumptions and potential sources of error in the data.