Physics of Dark Matter (theory)

In summary, the theoretical physics and mechanics of Dark Matter, specifically its potential inability to lose energy by radiation and undergo gravitational collapse like baryonic matter, has been explored through the growth of structure in the universe. This is primarily discussed in technical contexts, but the fundamental idea behind "bottom-up" structure formation is that smaller structures form first and combine to form larger ones. The evolution and distribution of dark matter is also complicated by its gravitational coupling with normal matter, making it difficult to give a simple conceptual explanation. Further research and study in this field can be done through keywords such as power spectrum, Press-Schechter theory, and Zeldovich approximation.
moving finger
Does anyone know of any work that has been done on the possible theoretical physics/mechanics of Dark Matter, for example if Dark Matter cannot lose energy by radiation then it presumably cannot undergo gravitational collapse in the same was as baryonic matter? A layperson's guide would be nice!

Thanks

MF

Astronomy news on Phys.org
moving finger said:
Does anyone know of any work that has been done on the possible theoretical physics/mechanics of Dark Matter, for example if Dark Matter cannot lose energy by radiation then it presumably cannot undergo gravitational collapse in the same was as baryonic matter? A layperson's guide would be nice!

Hmm, I don't know if such a thing exists, unfortunately. The aspects in which this has been explored are largely in the context of the growth of structure in the universe, and everything I've seen on that is pretty technical (for example, Liddle & Lyth). I can briefly summarize the ideas.

At very large scales, when the matter is far too diffuse to be radiating, then cold dark matter and normal matter act in pretty much the same way. That is, the overdensities collapse and can be treated with linear perturbation theory. When the density in a region exceeds the background density (approximated by the critical density) by of order unity, then it becomes "nonlinear", meaning it can no longer be simply treated by linear perturbation theory. At this point, we often use the "Zeldovich Approximation", a simple mathematical trick that allows us to explore the evolution of slightly non-linear structures.

At the present time (and at most times in the universe) there are scales on which large scale structure is linear and scales on which it's non-linear. The extent to which the universe is clumped on different scales is described by the power spectrum. Overdensities of a very large size are very slow to grow, so they will still be linear in the present day, while overdensities of very small size (like clusters), have long since undergone non-linear collapse. This is the fundamental idea behind "bottom-up" structure formation, that smaller things form first and combine to form larger things.

Everything I've described up to now applies to both cold dark and normal matter. Once the overdensities collapses to galaxy cluster scales, however, the normal matter begins to interact with itself in ways other than gravitationally. If it weren't for this evolution of the baryons, then the distribution of cold dark matter could probably be described fairly simply, but it is unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) coupled gravitationally to the normal matter. This complicates things to the point where I don't think I could give a simple conceptual explanation. However, the clumping and evolution of small haloes (a term used to describe dark matter overdensities) is treated approximately by the Press-Schechter theory.

Anyway, if you're interested in any of the above topics, you can try google searches on some of the key concepts (like the power spectrum, press-schechter, zeldovich, etc.). I can refer you to various books on this sort of cosmology, but I wouldn't really recommend any of them for the amateur. The one I mentioned at the beginning is probably the best for the pedagogy, but it would still take a lot of work to understand.

That's great, thank you!

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up approximately 85% of the total mass of the universe. It does not emit, absorb, or reflect light, making it invisible and difficult to detect.

How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Unlike regular matter, dark matter does not interact with electromagnetic radiation, meaning it does not emit or absorb light. It also does not form atoms or molecules like regular matter does.

What evidence supports the existence of dark matter?

Scientists have observed the effects of dark matter on the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the distribution of matter in the universe. These observations cannot be explained by the presence of regular matter, leading to the theory of dark matter.

What is the current theory about the nature of dark matter?

The current theory is that dark matter is made up of particles that are non-baryonic, meaning they are not composed of protons and neutrons like regular matter. These particles are believed to interact with gravity, but not with electromagnetic radiation.

How is dark matter being studied and researched?

Scientists are using various methods to try and detect dark matter, such as direct detection experiments, indirect detection through high-energy particle collisions, and astronomical observations. They are also using computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand the properties and behavior of dark matter.