How employable is a Statistics major, and what kind of jobs are availa

In summary, studying Statistics with an emphasis in Economics at SF State can lead to employment opportunities in fields such as actuarial work or the financial sector. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there is a projected increase in new statistician and actuary jobs from 2010-2020. While engineering may also be a viable option, it is important to consider your strengths and interests in making a decision.
annoyinggirl
I'm considering attending SF state to study Statistics with emphasis in Economics. However, I worry that the major isn't employable. If that is so, i would do engineering instead. How employable is a Statistics major? Do you think I should do engineering instead, even though I'm not that good with technical stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine a statistics major is pretty employable especially if your doing economics. You could become an actuary, or go into financial sector with it at least. The bureau of labor statistics says that new statistician jobs to open between 2010-2020 is 3,500; actuaries on the other hand expect 5,800. You can find a lot of this info on that site: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/

1. How employable is a Statistics major?

A Statistics major is highly employable in today's job market. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for statisticians is projected to grow by 33% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

2. What kind of jobs are available for Statistics majors?

Statistics majors can pursue a variety of careers, including data analyst, market research analyst, actuary, financial analyst, and statistical consultant. They can also work in industries such as healthcare, finance, government, and technology.

3. Do I need a graduate degree to get a job in statistics?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial for certain positions, such as a statistician or data scientist, it is not always required. Many entry-level jobs in statistics only require a bachelor's degree. However, pursuing a graduate degree can lead to higher-paying and more advanced roles.

4. What skills do I need to have as a Statistics major?

Statistics majors should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and statistical concepts. They should also be proficient in programming languages such as R, Python, and SQL, and have excellent communication and teamwork skills.

5. What is the average salary for a Statistics major?

The average salary for a Statistics major varies depending on the job title and level of experience. According to PayScale, the average salary for a statistician is $71,000, while a data analyst can make around $60,000. With experience and advanced degrees, statisticians can earn six-figure salaries.