My 10-Year Anniversary with PF

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, Zz and Doc Al established PF and Tom Madson and ZapperZ helped to make it the thriving community it is today. Zz and Doc Al stepped down and ZapperZ took over as Mentor, and everything is looking good for the future. Thanks for a fun decade!
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
... and they thought it wouldn't last! :)

10 years ago on this day, I joined The Physics Forums. As someone who has been on the 'net since the 1980's, I have been involved in some form of online physics discussions since the days of Usenet and the various online BBS and forums. PF was the first physics forum that I thought was different, even way back then when it was quite a bit "rougher" on the edges. There were people who knew what they were talking about, and I could see signs where there were efforts being done to pay attention to the quality of the posts and discussion. That was what made this forum quite different than the others that cared more about traffic. It was because of that that I decided that this was the place worth spending my time and effort.

A lot of the credit for how this place becomes what it is goes to Greg. While he certainly is the person who ultimately decides what goes on here, he has given the Mentors quite a bit of freedom to run and set the tone for the forum. And he also evolves with the forum and made the necessary changes as the forum changes. If you have read the history of PF, you'll see how much it has transformed itself over the years.

Still, the biggest factor for the "excitement" I get out of this forum is the members. The good, the bad, the ugly, the crackpot, the misguided, the eager, the brilliant, the I-can't-find-the-punctuation-key-even-if-my-life-depends-on-it, they all made practically every single day here on PF an eye-opener. Every time I think I've seen and read it all, I find something that continues to surprise me.

So to everyone of you, thanks for a fun 10 years.

To the crackpots that I had to ban all these years, all I can say is: "Oh well!"

Zz.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats.. and hear, hear!

Congrats, Zz! So much of what PF is today is due to your contributions :thumbs:.

A lot of what PF is today is thanks to you Zz, here's to another 10 years!

This is funny, Zz got 50 a year earlier than I did, now he has a 10th anniversary a year before me... Starts to look like a routine :biggrin:

So where do you find this"history of PF" to read?

Congrats, and have a beer, Zz, or a nice glass of wine. I know you have tons of nice restaurants to choose from where you live. I can't take you out for a meal, though I'd like to.

Borek said:
This is funny, Zz got 50 a year earlier than I did, now he has a 10th anniversary a year before me... Starts to look like a routine :biggrin:

I think you have been stalking me all my life.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
My 10-Year Anniversary with PF

... and they thought it wouldn't last! :)

Well, it shouldn't have...anniversaries tend to expire after 24 hours...how you managed to drag it to ten years is beyond me.
:tongue:
Happy tenth! :biggrin:

Congratulations! Sure a lot has changed, makes you wonder about the next 10. Let's hope for a good one!

Newbi.

I am one of the few here that can say that! It was when you and Doc Al established yourselves that I had to ask myself why I was still listed as Mentor for the Physics forums, I stepped down gladly making room for those much better qualified then I.

It was Tom Madson and I that pretty much set the forums on the path to what we have today. You can't know the pride I feel in how these forums have developed.

Thank you for taking that good start and running with it.

n00b!

I haven't posted much for a while, but I can remember when ZapperZ joined and it was instantly clear the value that he added to the boards.

Congrats.
ZapperZ said:
I think you have been stalking me all my life.

Zz.
That makes him more predictable!

Integral said:
Newbi.

I am one of the few here that can say that! It was when you and Doc Al established yourselves that I had to ask myself why I was still listed as Mentor for the Physics forums, I stepped down gladly making room for those much better qualified then I.

It was Tom Madson and I that pretty much set the forums on the path to what we have today. You can't know the pride I feel in how these forums have developed.

Thank you for taking that good start and running with it.

Well, thanks to you and Tom for doing the major renovations. All I had to do was add the decorative pieces and hang pictures on the wall.

:)

Zz.

Congratulations, Zz. Thanks to you and all of the staff for making PF the great place that it is. :smile:

A haven of sense in a crazy world. Here's to another 10 years of Zapping!

hmmm...

While we have you in a good mood, can you please mentor Vanadium on how to wield a proper one-two punch/slap-slap!:

zz.slaps.up.the.side.of.my.head.jpg

My post from a couple of weeks ago should have yielded at least a temp ban... :redface:

ZapperZ said:
... excitement" I get out of this forum is the members. The good, the bad, the ugly, the crackpot, the misguided, the eager, the brilliant, the I-can't-find-the-punctuation-key-even-if-my-life-depends-on-it,
Zz.

:rofl: imustrememberthat!

ZapperZ said:
All I had to do was add the decorative pieces and hang pictures on the wall.
And the decorative pieces were all peer reviewed and the pictures were hung to clearly point the way. Just sayin'

I wish I could remember exactly when I joined. It was either late 2002 or early 2003, in an earlier version of PF that no longer exists. I consider myself the "Homer Simpson" of the moderators, having showed up the day they opened the plant to moderate one of the minor forums (at least it is applied physics!), but I've gotten to see it grow and evolve, nearly from the beginning. You said it exactly right: Greg has supplied a vision and chosen moderators who share it to execute it. Highly knowledgeable, dedicated, and with a low tolerance for BS: You're one of the giants and the archetype (though frankly, I often wonder if you are a sockpuppet of Warren).

It has been a privileged to be a part of what I consider a true gem of the internet. Congrats and cheers for the next 10 years!

Congrats Zz well done !

and thanks to all the senior PF team that make this such a great place to learn!

Dave

I trust you find consolation in the fact I signed up about the same time you did in 2004. I have been, and probably will continue to be, a pox on PF ever since.

So, not meaning to dig this back up, but I suppose I should clarify after I've been asked twice about this.

No, I was not "recruited" to be a Mentor when I joined PF way back then. I was a regular member just like anyone else. Don't quite remember when it changed, but Greg invited me (I think after the approval of the Mentors at that time would be my guess) to be a Mentor here. If I recall correctly, I turned him down the first time he asked! Can you believe that? :)

But eventually, I was seduced to the dark side of the Force by agreeing to join the Imperial army to spread our message and conquer the world.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
I'll probably cry the day I see Emeritus above your avatar. Thanks for all the years Sir.

ZapperZ said:
So, not meaning to dig this back up, but I suppose I should clarify after I've been asked twice about this.

No, I was not "recruited" to be a Mentor when I joined PF way back then. I was a regular member just like anyone else. Don't quite remember when it changed, but Greg invited me (I think after the approval of the Mentors at that time would be my guess) to be a Mentor here. If I recall correctly, I turned him down the first time he asked! Can you believe that? :)

But eventually, I was seduced to the dark side of the Force by agreeing to join the Imperial army to spread our message and conquer the world.

Zz.

Zz becomes a PF Science Advisor
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=71677

Zz quickly rises to PF Mentor
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74441

Well done!

ZapperZ said:
Ah, good times! :approve:

1. What is "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF"?

"My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" is a personal finance (PF) blog that chronicles the author's journey towards financial stability and independence. It was started 10 years ago and has since gained a following for its practical tips and relatable content.

2. How has "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" evolved over the past decade?

Over the past 10 years, "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" has evolved from a simple blog to a comprehensive resource for all things related to personal finance. The author has expanded the topics covered, incorporated more data and research, and even started offering online courses and consulting services.

3. What sets "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" apart from other PF blogs?

One of the main things that sets "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" apart is the personal touch. The author shares their own experiences and struggles with managing money, making it relatable and authentic. The blog also focuses on long-term financial planning and building sustainable habits, rather than quick fixes or get-rich-quick schemes.

4. What can readers expect to learn from "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF"?

Readers can expect to learn a wide range of topics related to personal finance, including budgeting, saving, investing, retirement planning, and more. The blog also delves into the psychological aspects of money management and how to overcome common barriers to financial success.

5. How can readers engage with "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" and its community?

Readers can engage with "My 10-Year Anniversary with PF" by leaving comments on blog posts, subscribing to the newsletter, and following the blog's social media accounts. The author also hosts live Q&A sessions and online forums for readers to ask questions and connect with like-minded individuals on their financial journey.