Protons Neutrons and Electrons in a neutron star

In summary, the problem is to calculate the ratio of neutrons to protons to electrons in a neutron star with a neutron density of 30.1/fm and zero temperature, without taking into account any gravitational forces.
vinceclortho
Hi All,

I am preparing for PhD quals and have been looking at problems from other universities. I came across this one and am stumped on how to tackle it.

" Assume that the neutron density in a neutron star is 30.1/fm (that is 0.1 neutron per
cubic Fermi). Assuming T=0 and ignoring any gravitational forces calculate the ratio of
neutrons to protons to electrons.Hint: determine their Fermi energy."

Even with the hint not sure.

I would appreciate any thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
vinceclortho said:
Hi All,

I am preparing for PhD quals and have been looking at problems from other universities. I came across this one and am stumped on how to tackle it.

" Assume that the neutron density in a neutron star is 30.1/fm (that is 0.1 neutron per
cubic Fermi). Assuming T=0 and ignoring any gravitational forces calculate the ratio of
neutrons to protons to electrons.Hint: determine their Fermi energy."

Even with the hint not sure.

I would appreciate any thoughts!
It would seem like a static problem. T = 0 means no kinetic energy, and ignoring gravity ostensibly means ignoring pressure.

1. What are the main components of a neutron star?

A neutron star is made up primarily of protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles are densely packed together, creating an incredibly dense and compact object.

2. How do protons, neutrons, and electrons interact in a neutron star?

In a neutron star, protons and electrons are tightly bound together, forming neutrons through a process called electron capture. These neutrons are then packed together and held in place by the strong nuclear force.

3. How do protons, neutrons, and electrons contribute to the characteristics of a neutron star?

Protons and electrons contribute to the electric charge and conductivity of a neutron star, while neutrons contribute to its mass and density. Together, these particles create the extreme conditions and unique properties of a neutron star.

4. How do the numbers of protons, neutrons, and electrons vary in different neutron stars?

The numbers of protons, neutrons, and electrons in a neutron star can vary depending on the mass of the star and the conditions during its formation. Generally, more massive neutron stars have a higher proportion of neutrons compared to protons and electrons.

5. Can protons, neutrons, and electrons be observed in a neutron star?

Due to the extreme conditions in a neutron star, it is not possible to directly observe individual protons, neutrons, or electrons. However, their presence and behavior can be inferred through various astronomical observations and theoretical models.