Positron to replace proton as the nucleus of an atom

In summary, the math works out the way it does because the masses of the proton and electron have to be the same in order to annihilate. The reason photons and electrons are excitations of the same underlying field is because they are created from the same field.
jaydnul
I know that the positron and electron have the same mass, which allows them to annihilate, and I know how solve the 2 body Schrodinger for a standard hydrogen atom to get the orbitals.

My question is why the math works out the way it does. Is there an "intuitive" (I use that word cautiously) quantum mechanical explanation as to why the masses have to be the same in order to annihilate and why the electron will keep its distance if the nucleus' mass is different? Why don't the proton and electron annihilate and just produce enough radiation to make up for the differences in mass/energy?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
I know that the positron and electron have the same mass, which allows them to annihilate, and I know how solve the 2 body Schrodinger for a standard hydrogen atom to get the orbitals.

In order to annihilate conservation laws need to be observed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron–positron_annihilation

A proton is a Baryon and the electron a Lepton. Both Baryon and Lepton numbers must be conserved.

But the most fundamental reason is probably that positrons and electrons are excitations of the same underlying field. Quantum Field Theory (QFT) isn't an area I know well off the top of my head, but if I recall correctly the creation operator of an electron is the same as the annihilation operator of a positron, and conversely - also when applied to each other creation and annihilation give a big fat nothing. So each destroying the other is the same as nothing overall being created and destroyed.

But I may be corrected on that by those those that know QFT better.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
But the most fundamental reason is probably that photons and electrons are excitations of the same underlying field.
you mean that "the most fundamental reason is probably that positrons and electrons are excitations of the same underlying field."

Last edited:
bhobba said:
... if I recall correctly the creation operator of an electron is the same as the annihilation operator of a positron, and conversely ...
it's slightly more complicated that that, but in essence electrons and positrons are quanta of the same underlying field, whereas protons (consisting of quarks and gluons) are related to other fields

tom.stoer said:
you mean that "the most fundamental reason is probably that positrons and electrons are excitations of the same underlying field.

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

You caught me out - now corrected.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is a positron and how does it differ from a proton?

A positron is a positively charged subatomic particle with the same mass as an electron. It differs from a proton in that it has the same charge as an electron, but with a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

2. Can a positron replace a proton as the nucleus of an atom?

Yes, it is possible for a positron to replace a proton as the nucleus of an atom. This is known as a positronium atom, where the nucleus is made up of a positron and an electron orbiting around each other.

3. What would be the implications of replacing protons with positrons in atoms?

Replacing protons with positrons in atoms would result in a complete reversal of the charge of the nucleus, from positive to negative. This would significantly alter the chemical properties of the atom and could potentially lead to new types of chemical reactions.

4. Why would we want to replace protons with positrons in atoms?

There are a few potential reasons for wanting to replace protons with positrons in atoms. One reason could be to study the effects of having a negative nucleus, which is not found in nature. Another reason could be to create new types of atoms with different chemical properties for practical applications.

5. Are there any challenges in replacing protons with positrons in atoms?

Yes, there are several challenges in replacing protons with positrons in atoms. One major challenge is that positrons are unstable and quickly annihilate with electrons, making it difficult to create and maintain a positron-based nucleus. Additionally, the resulting atoms may have different properties than expected due to the unique behavior of positrons.