Calculating magnitude and direction

In summary, we are given the distance and direction from Atlanta to Dallas and Chicago to Atlanta on a flat map. Using the law of cosines, we can calculate the displacement from Dallas to Chicago to be 788.16 miles. Additionally, we can use the formula sinB/B = sinO/C to find the direction in degrees north of east, which is 43 degrees. However, this method may not be accurate since we are assuming the Earth is flat.
niteshadw
Problem:
A map suggests that Atlanta is 730 mi in a direction of 4.80° north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is 562 miles in a direction of 20.9° west of north from Atlanta. Modeling the Earth as flat, use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.

Calculate the magnitude in miles and direction in dergees north of east.

For magnitude I have used to law of cosines,
A = 730
B = 562
C = ?
cos C = 180 - (85.2 + 20.9)
so
C = sqrt(A^2+B^2-2(AB)cosC)
C = sqrt(730^2 + 562^2 - 2(730 * 562 * cos(73.9))
C = 788.16 miles

For direction I've tried the following:
sinB/B = sinO/C
so
(562/788)sin(73.9) = 0.685
arcsin(0.685) = 43 dergees

But that did work, am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: The displacement from Dallas to Chicago is 788.16 miles in a direction of 43 degrees north of east.

Your calculations for magnitude and direction seem to be correct. However, for direction, the value you obtained is in radians and needs to be converted to degrees. Also, the direction should be measured from north of east, not south of east. Therefore, the correct direction would be 180 - 43 = 137 degrees north of east.

1. What is the formula for calculating magnitude and direction?

The formula for calculating magnitude and direction is as follows: magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2) and direction = tan^-1 (y/x), where x and y are the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

2. How do I find the magnitude and direction of a vector using its components?

To find the magnitude and direction of a vector using its components, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude and the inverse tangent function to calculate the direction. Make sure to use the correct units for each component to get an accurate result.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate magnitude and direction?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate magnitude and direction. Most scientific calculators have a square root and inverse tangent function that can be used to find the magnitude and direction of a vector.

4. What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude refers to the size or length of a vector, while direction refers to the angle or orientation of the vector in relation to a reference point or axis. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a vector.

5. Why is it important to calculate magnitude and direction in science?

Calculating magnitude and direction is important in science because it allows us to accurately describe and analyze the motion and forces of objects in the physical world. It is also crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.