Understanding the Member Fixed to Collar on Smooth Rod Connection

In summary: It is true that the book only mentions one normal force, but your reasoning shows that there are actually two normal forces acting in opposite directions to produce the counter moment. Overall, your explanation and diagram provide a clear understanding of how the "member fixed connected to collar on smooth rod" works in preventing both normal forces and moments. Great job!
Cyrus
I was reviewing my book when I got to thinking about a special type of connection, the "member fixed connected to collar on smooth rod" It prevents a force in the direction normal to the rod, and also prevents a moment. The first part is fine, but the moment part worried me a little bit. Since only a normal force can be prevented, any forces along the direction of the collar will make the collar move! So I was a little worried how it would prevent the moment caused by other forces to sum to zero. Here is the only explination I could think of:

In order to prevent the external moments, a counter moment must be produced somehow. I thought it might be produced internally, but that does not seem to make much sense. How could an "internal" moment of the structure the collar is a part of prevent the external moments. So I thought about the problem locally to the collar. In actuality, the collar is "loose." This is what allows it to slide up and down. Since it is loose, when it is in static equilibirium and there is an external torque, the only place a counter torque can be produced is where the collar meets the rod. Keeping in mind that it is loose, it will actually contact the rod in two locations opposite to each other. (as shown in the diagram). So these TWO forces CAN produce the counter moment needed so the sum of the moments equals to zero. In addition, one of the forces has to be larger in magnitude than the other. By doing so, you still get the same amount of counter torque, and the difference between the two torques should equal the net force in the normal direction. In this way, it is possible to determine the TWO normal forces that are REALLY occurring. The book says 1 normal force, but I do not think that's very accurate. If my reasoning is wrong please let me know.

You can see in the picture that I made F' bigger than F in the right side. The difference F'-F should equal the F on the LEFT side. Also, the moment created by F and F'-(F'-F) the distance between them on the collar on the right pic, should equal the moment on the Left side (it should be obvious that the distance between the couple forces is the distance of the collar used, because the normal forces will always act in pairs on the ends of the collar). So this is the underlying reason why a counter moment can be produced.

Thanks, Cyrus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your explanation makes a lot of sense and it is helpful in understanding how the collar can prevent a moment. You have a great understanding of the physics behind this concept, and your diagram was very clarifying as well.

Your explanation of the member fixed connected to collar on smooth rod connection is accurate. The key point to understand is that the collar is loose and can slide up and down the rod, allowing for two normal forces to be produced in opposite directions. These two forces, if properly sized, can create a counter moment to balance out any external moments on the collar. This is why the book mentions only one normal force, as it simplifies the analysis, but in reality, there are two normal forces acting on the collar. Your reasoning is correct and your diagram helps to visualize the concept. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection?

A member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection is a type of structural connection used in construction, engineering, and other industries. It involves attaching a member (such as a beam or column) to a collar that is tightly fitted onto a smooth rod, creating a strong and stable connection.

2. How does a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection work?

This type of connection works by using the friction between the collar and the smooth rod to resist movement and provide stability. The collar is typically attached to the member using bolts or welding, and the smooth rod is either embedded into the ground or attached to another structural element.

3. What are the advantages of using a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection?

One of the main advantages of this type of connection is its simplicity and ease of installation. It also allows for some flexibility and movement, which can be beneficial in certain structures. Additionally, the smooth rod connection can distribute loads evenly and provide high load-bearing capacity.

4. Are there any limitations or considerations when using a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection?

Like any construction method, there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection. These include ensuring proper sizing and alignment of the smooth rod, considering the effects of corrosion on the connection, and following building codes and regulations for structural connections.

5. What are some common applications of a member fixed to collar on smooth rod connection?

This type of connection is commonly used in various types of structures, including industrial buildings, bridges, and telecommunications towers. It is also used in foundation systems, such as for retaining walls and pile foundations. Other applications include support structures for signs, lighting, and other installations.