Relative Velocity while swimming

In summary: Plug that into the earlier equation to get the value of θ and you've got the fastest time for her to cross the river. (It will be less than 100 seconds.)
mcintyre_ie
Hey
I need a little help with this (B) question:

A girl wishes to siwim across a river 60m wide. The river flows with a velocity q m.s^-1 parallel to the straight banks and the girl swims at a velocity of p m.s^-1 relative to the water. In crossing the river as quickly as possible she takes 100s and is carried downstream 45m.
Find:
(I) P and Q
(II)How long will it take her to swim in a straight line back to the original starting point.

Ive done some of the basics here, which i know to be right, including the answers to part 1 - when i tried to bring it further i got answers which were obviously wrong for part 2. This is what I've got so far, any help would be appreciated:

Vr (welocity of river) = q m.s^-1
Vg/r )velocity of girl relative to river) = Vg - Vw
Vg = (pi + qj) m.s^-1

when t = 100s, d = 45i + 60j

P = 60/100 = .6m.s^-1

Q = 45/100 = .45m.s^-1

Vg/r = .6m.s^-1
Vr = .45 m.s^-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct. She will cross the river fastest by swimming straight across and allowing the river to carry her down stream. Assuming her velocity relative to the water is <p,0> and the velocity of the river is <0,q> her actual velocity is <p,q> and so displacement in 100 seconds is <100p, 100q>= <60, -45>. p, the girl's speed relative to the water is .6 m/s and the speed of the river is .45 m/s.

In order to swim "in a straight line back to the original starting point", she will have to angle sharply upstream. Take the angle her "bearing" makes with a line directly across the river to be &theta;. Then her velocity relative to the water will be <.6 cos&theta;, .6 sin&theta> so her true velocity will be <.6 cos&theta;, -.45+ .6 sin&theta>. (I'm taking positive x, here, to be back across the river.)

Here displacement vector, in t seconds, will be
<.6 cos&theta; t, -.45t+ .6 sin&theta; t>= <60, 45> That gives 2 equations for t and theta. In particular, we can write
-.45t+ .6 sin&theta; t= 45 as -.45+ .6 sin&theta;= 45/t so that
.6 sin&theta;= 45/t+ .45.

Then (.6 sin&theta;)2= (45/t+ .45)2 and
(.6 cos&theta;)2= (45/t)2 so, adding
(45/t+ .45)2+ (45/t)2= 0.36.

Solve that quadratic equation for t.

Last edited by a moderator:

To find the time it takes for the girl to swim back to the original starting point, we can use the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate or velocity, and t is the time. In this case, we want to find t, so we can rearrange the formula to t = d/r.

Since the girl is swimming back to the original starting point, the distance she needs to cover is 45m (the distance she was carried downstream). The velocity she is swimming at relative to the river is still .6m.s^-1, so we can plug in these values to find t:

t = 45/.6 = 75s

Therefore, it will take the girl 75 seconds to swim in a straight line back to the original starting point.

What is relative velocity while swimming?

Relative velocity while swimming is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to another object or reference point while moving through water.

How is relative velocity while swimming different from regular velocity?

Regular velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to a fixed point on land, while relative velocity while swimming takes into account the movement of the water.

What factors affect relative velocity while swimming?

The main factors that affect relative velocity while swimming are the speed and direction of the swimmer, the speed and direction of the water currents, and the drag of the swimmer's body against the water.

How can relative velocity while swimming be calculated?

To calculate relative velocity while swimming, you would need to know the speed and direction of both the swimmer and the water currents, as well as the angle at which the swimmer is swimming in relation to the currents. This can be done using vector addition or trigonometric functions.

Why is understanding relative velocity while swimming important?

Understanding relative velocity while swimming is important for competitive swimmers in order to maximize their speed and efficiency in the water. It also helps in understanding the impact of external forces, such as water currents, on a swimmer's performance.