Right-angle lever paradox - Am. J. Phys.

In summary, the "Right-angle lever paradox" article published in Am. J. Phys. in 1975 presents a solution to the problem of relativistic torques, specifically in the context of the right-angle lever problem. The authors propose a reexamination of the classical relation between torque and angular momentum, and suggest that in relativistic analysis there exists a net internal torque that cancels out the external torque experienced by an extended body in dynamic equilibrium. This solution is not limited to relativity, but is applicable to a wider range of theoretical frameworks. The conversation also mentions two other articles that are of interest to the speaker and asks for access to them.
pmb
"Right-angle lever paradox" - Am. J. Phys.

I'd like to read this article

"Right-angle lever paradox," J. Charles Nickerson and Robert T.
McAdory, Am. J. Phys. 43, 615 (1975)

----------------------------------------------------
Abstract: We present the problem of relativistic torques with particular reference to the right-angle lever problem and outline a simple solution. The important elements of our solution are, first, a reexamination of the classical relation between torque and angular momentum and, second, the consequent realization that in relativistic analysis there exists a net internal torque which exactly cancels the net external torque experienced by an extended body in dynamic equilibrium. We find that the lever has constant angular momentum according to all Lorentz inertial reference systems and that this is consistent with the relativistic relationship between torque and angular momentum. Our solution is not restricted to relativity. It is valid for a wider class of theoretical frameworks.
----------------------------------------------------

But I don't have ready access to a library. Does anyone have this article? If so then can you e-mail a scanned copy to me? Thanks

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
pmb,

You don't live near a university library?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
pmb,

You don't live near a university library?

- Warren

No. The nearest one is 35 miles away. And I'm still at a point where I get fatigued exstremely easy. I can get there but it will take a month or so and will be an all day event.

Pete

Well, I have electronic access to Am. J. Phys., but unfortunately they electronic archive only goes back to 1975. The next time I'm at Stanford, I'll scan it for you -- but it may be a week or more. Maybe someone else can do it more easily?

- Warren

Well, I have electronic access to Am. J. Phys., but unfortunately they electronic archive only goes back to 1975. The next time I'm at Stanford, I'll scan it for you -- but it may be a week or more. Maybe someone else can do it more easily?

- Warren

Dude! You have access to Am. J. Phys.?? Awesome! There are two other articles I'd love to have.

Apparatus to measure relativistic mass increase, John W. Luetzelschwab, Am. J. Phys. 71, 878 (2003)

Faster-than-light speeds, tachyons, and the possibility of tachyonic neutrinos, Robert Ehrlich, Am. J. Phys. Vol. 71(11) pp. 1109-1114

Each looks very interesting. Especially since they are the topic of my research.

Can you e-mail them to me? If so it would be much appreciated.

peter.brown46@verizon.net

Pete

pmb,

I'll snag 'em for you when I get home. Unfortunately, my work does not allow me to access my university's proxy server, which I need to get into Am. J. Phys!

- Warren

pmb,

I'll snag 'em for you when I get home.

Dude! You're awesome! You're my hero for the day!

Muchus Gracias!

Pete

1. What is the Right-angle lever paradox?

The Right-angle lever paradox is a thought experiment that explores the concept of torque and angular momentum. It involves a lever with a pivot point at a right angle to the lever arm, and a weight placed on the end of the lever. The paradox lies in the fact that the weight seems to create no torque, despite the fact that it is exerting a force on the lever arm.

2. How does the Right-angle lever paradox challenge traditional physics principles?

The Right-angle lever paradox challenges traditional physics principles by demonstrating that the application of a force at a right angle to a lever arm does not necessarily result in torque. This goes against the commonly accepted definition of torque, which is the product of a force and the lever arm's length.

3. What is the significance of the Right-angle lever paradox in the study of mechanics?

The Right-angle lever paradox is significant in the study of mechanics because it highlights the importance of understanding torque and angular momentum. It also challenges students to think critically about traditional physics principles and encourages them to explore alternative explanations for physical phenomena.

4. How can the Right-angle lever paradox be resolved?

The Right-angle lever paradox can be resolved by considering the concept of center of mass. When the weight is placed at the end of the lever arm, the center of mass of the system shifts, resulting in a change in the torque calculation. This resolves the paradox and demonstrates the importance of considering the center of mass in torque calculations.

5. What are the practical applications of the Right-angle lever paradox?

The Right-angle lever paradox has practical applications in engineering and mechanics. It helps engineers design more efficient levers by understanding the effects of center of mass on torque calculations. It also has applications in sports, such as in the mechanics of a golf swing or a baseball pitch.