Reduce boolean expression to 3 literals

• Thread starter success2be
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the given expression can be reduced to AB + C'. The solution involves simplifying the expression using Boolean algebra and regular algebra techniques, and considering the terms as two separate variables. This approach may require some trial and error, but with practice, it can become easier and quicker. It is important to understand the underlying principles and axioms rather than solely relying on Karnaugh maps.
success2be
Reduce the following to 3 literals
A'C' + ABC + AC'
C'(A'+A) + ABC
C' + ABC

or
A'C' + ABC + AC'
A'C' + A(BC + C')
A'C' + A(BC + C'(B + B'))
A'C' + A(BC + BC' + B'C'))

I can't go any further. What am I doing wrong?
The book has the answer as AB + C'

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out. Man this is long.

From the second solution

A'C' + A (BC + BC' + B'C')
A'C' + A (B (C+C') + B'C')
A'C' + A ( B + B'C' )
A'C' + A ( (B + B') (B + C') )
A'C' + A ( B + C' )
A'C' + AB + AC'
C' (A' + A) + AB
C' + AB

I wonder is it always a trial and error process in getting the solution? Wonder if I'll ever have enough time during an exam to complete.

Are you familiar with Karnaugh maps? (I hope I spelled that right)

Hurkyl said:
Are you familiar with Karnaugh maps? (I hope I spelled that right)

The professor have talked about the K map. The chapter I'm working on have not discussed it officially yet. It'll be the next chapter.

I'm wondering if I'll be forced to not use the K map to solve a problem on an exam. Don't know if they only care as long as the solution is correct or that the student must know every method to the solution.

I think I'll just move on to the next chapter and come back to the previous chapter question when I understand K map. Thanks.

I believe that the point of this is to give some understanding of the underlying principles and axioms. As convenient and time-saving as K-maps are, they don't really readily show why they work. In addition, most people can only apply K-maps to minimization problems of up to four or six variables. (In reality, if ordered K-maps are used, they can solve problems of as many variables as the user can practically map onto paper. This, however means the possibility of having to draw very large maps. As examples, a four-variable minimization problem requires a 16-cell map, but a ten-variable problem would require a 1024-cell map. Imagine how big that would be (but it can be done).

I'd suggest that you learn this approach well before worrying about mapping.

KM

success2be said:
A'C' + ABC + AC'
C'(A'+A) + ABC
C' + ABC

or
A'C' + ABC + AC'
A'C' + A(BC + C')

I am continuing on your steps but first you need to START looking at the 'and' , 'or' signs as 'plus' and 'multiply' and to start solving the problems by means of both Boolean algebra and regular algebra

A'C' + ABC + AC'
C'(A'+A) + ABC
C' + ABC
(C'+A)*(C'+B)*(C+C')
since (C+C')=1
(C'+A)*(C'+B)
(C'*C')+(C'*B)+(A*C')+(A*B)
(C'*(1+B))+(AC')+(AB)
C'+AC'+AB
C'(A+1)+AB
AB+C'

I wonder is it always a trial and error process in getting the solution? Wonder if I'll ever have enough time during an exam to complete.

No i don't think that this is the way to think about i'd rather think about it as simplifying it as possible
I can tell that this is your first course on this,
I took this course last year and I solved your problem by just looking at it ,so don't worry you'll get better at it soon...

ur solution

success2be said:
A'C' + ABC + AC'
C'(A'+A) + ABC
C' + ABC

or
A'C' + ABC + AC'
A'C' + A(BC + C')

hey u wer solving it wrnd
di like this
ur eq. wz A'C'+ABC+AC'
it will be reduced like this
C'(A'+A)+ABC
C'+ABC
NOW CONSIDER AB AS 1 TERM AND C AS SECOND
THEN (AB+C')(C+C')
C+C'=1
SO UR ANS IS AB+C'
okieeeeeeeeeee
all the bst

that's our assignment too :)
i guess these problems are nice .. much better than electronics :biggrin:

1. What is a boolean expression?

A boolean expression is a mathematical statement that can either be true or false. It is typically written using logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT.

2. What does it mean to reduce a boolean expression to 3 literals?

Reducing a boolean expression to 3 literals means simplifying the expression so that it contains only 3 variables or terms. This can make the expression easier to understand and evaluate.

3. Why is it important to reduce boolean expressions to 3 literals?

Reducing boolean expressions to 3 literals can help to simplify complex logical statements and make them easier to understand and evaluate. It can also make writing and debugging code more efficient.

4. How do you reduce a boolean expression to 3 literals?

To reduce a boolean expression to 3 literals, you can use various methods such as the Quine-McCluskey algorithm or Karnaugh maps. These methods involve identifying common terms and combining them to simplify the expression.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing boolean expressions to 3 literals?

Yes, there are certain limitations to reducing boolean expressions to 3 literals. In some cases, it may not be possible to simplify the expression to only 3 literals without changing the original meaning. Additionally, certain expressions may require more than 3 literals to accurately represent the logic involved.