Reverse Polarity: Understanding and Application

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reverse polarity and its usefulness in circuit design. The speaker is confused about how this concept is applied and questions why a compiler would select a more optimal option that may not align with the desired circuit output. The concept is explained as a way to optimize the use of terms in an equation and potentially fit a smaller device.
EvLer
So, we are just starting ABEL... and I don't quite understand reverse polarity usefullness or application. Here's the extract from my textbook (Wakerly, 3rd ed.):
"In this example, the reverse-polarity equation has one less product term than the normal polarity equation (whatever...the example), so the compiler will select this equation if the targeted device has selectable output inversion." :confused:

could someone explain or give an example how this concept is used... :uhh:
ok, so i understand that compiler will go for a more optimal option, but what does not make sense is that it would select let's say F' over F if F' is more optimal, but the circuit should operate on F not F'! how is this making sense?
Maybe I am asking the wrong question...anyway, I'm confused.

thanks much.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe it refers to the fact that you can write an equation using OR or AND functions to gather up terms. Like:

A & B = !(!A + !B)

In some equations, it may take fewer terms when you use one form or the other, which may help you fit in a smaller CPLD, for example.

Reverse polarity is a concept used in digital logic design to optimize the use of logic gates and reduce the complexity of a circuit. It involves using the complement or inverse of a logical expression to simplify the design and reduce the number of gates needed. This can result in a more efficient and cost-effective circuit.

In the example given from your textbook, the reverse-polarity equation has one less product term than the normal polarity equation. This means that the reverse-polarity equation has been simplified by using the complement of the original equation. The compiler, which is a software tool used to convert a logic design into a physical circuit layout, will select this equation if the targeted device has the capability to perform output inversion. This means that the device can output both the original expression and its complement.

An example of using reverse polarity in a circuit design would be in a digital clock. The clock has two outputs, one for the hour and one for the minute. Instead of using separate logic gates for each output, the designer can use reverse polarity to simplify the design. By using the complement of the hour output, the designer can use the same gates for both the hour and minute outputs, reducing the number of gates needed and making the circuit more efficient.

In regards to your question about the circuit operating on F instead of F', it is important to note that in digital logic, the complement of a logical expression is equivalent to the original expression. This means that the circuit will still operate on the same logical expression, whether it is in its original form or its complement. The difference is in the implementation of the circuit, where using reverse polarity can reduce the complexity and improve efficiency.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of reverse polarity and its application in digital logic design. It is a useful tool for simplifying designs and optimizing the use of logic gates. If you have any further questions or need more clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is reverse polarity and why is it important to understand?

Reverse polarity refers to the reversed direction of electric current in a circuit. It is important to understand because it can cause damage to electronic devices and safety hazards if not properly addressed.

2. How does reverse polarity occur?

Reverse polarity can occur when the positive and negative terminals of a power source are connected incorrectly, or when the wiring of a circuit is incorrectly connected.

3. What are the common signs of reverse polarity?

The most common signs of reverse polarity include lights not turning on or flickering, appliances not working properly, and outlets producing a burning smell or becoming hot to the touch.

4. How can reverse polarity be fixed?

Reverse polarity can be fixed by first identifying the source of the issue, such as a misconnected wire or a faulty outlet. It can then be corrected by properly connecting the wires or replacing the faulty outlet.

5. What are the safety precautions to take when dealing with reverse polarity?

When dealing with reverse polarity, it is important to always turn off the power source before attempting to fix the issue. It is also recommended to use a voltage tester to ensure that there is no electrical current present. If unsure, it is best to consult a professional electrician for assistance.