Name This Dish (because I sure can't)

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, you're killing me. :frown: I just had popcorn for dinner. :yuck:[quote="Ronnin, post: 1329126"] Peasant food is some of the best food. Anyone here a fan of pierogies? QUOTE]
Ronnin
I had this wonderful food at a French restaurant a while back, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. I am trying to recreate for a mother's day dinner for my wife. There were two versions one with cabbage, the other with spinach. The leaf was wrapped around a diced potatoe and onion filling (there may of been bacon wrapped around the cabbage as well). The potatoes were browned but soft cooked. This wrap (I think it was baked) was served with a filet mignon on top. It was the perfect compliment to the steak and for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you that potatoes were probably Sautéed, but that's about it for me.

I figure Evo will pounce on this one, or perhaps humanino or marlon, or even vanesch,

but it could be -

Flamande, à la: Flemish style; usually with stuffed cabbage leaves, carrots, turnips, potatoes, and bacon.

or auvergnat(e): (style) often with cabbage, sausage, and bacon
from Auvergne

these might help -

http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/f.htm

http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/glossary.htm

or

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/restaurants/glossary.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you just look up the restaurant's menu online? Or call them and ask?

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren
Oh sure, do it the easy way. :biggrin: Hopefully, Ronnin remembers the name of the restaurant.

Man! I can't name that dish, but my mouse is waddling (to steal from the Anguish Languish lexicon) just thinking about it.

chroot said:

- Warren

I wish I did remember the name then this would be easy. It was a wedding dinner and since I wasn't paying for it the name didn't stick out in my mind. :rolleyes: lol.

Ronnin said:
I wish I did remember the name then this would be easy. It was a wedding dinner and since I wasn't paying for it the name didn't stick out in my mind. :rolleyes: lol.
Well look in the yellow pages (assuming US) if its in your home area, and look for Restaurants - French or something like that.

Or google on-line for French cuisine/restaurants in your area, or whatever town where the wedding/reception was held.

Two things:

1. I hope it wasn't YOUR wedding... :)
2. Can you ask someone else who was also there?

Sounds good, but I have never heard of a French dish like that. I suspect the restaurant made it up. The cabbage and potatoes would make it a peasant dish while the fillet is out of place in peasant cooking.

Your best bet is to recall the restaurant you went to and ask for the recipe.

Well I'm just going to have to ask the groom's wife for the name of the restaurant. Peasant food is some of the best food. Anyone here a fan of pierogies? My wife's grandmother introduced me to this fine Slavic fare and I can't get enough of them. Unfortunatly, Houston isn't known for that type of food. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a taqueria though. Yet another one of my favorite branches of food.

Ronnin said:
Well I'm just going to have to ask the groom's wife for the name of the restaurant. Peasant food is some of the best food. Anyone here a fan of pierogies? My wife's grandmother introduced me to this fine Slavic fare and I can't get enough of them. Unfortunatly, Houston isn't known for that type of food. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a taqueria though. Yet another one of my favorite branches of food.
I absolutely LOVE peasant food. Most of the French dishes I make are peasant food. :approve:

If you get that recipe, please share, it sounds wonderful!

Evo said:
I absolutely LOVE peasant food. Most of the French dishes I make are peasant food. :approve:

If you get that recipe, please share, it sounds wonderful!

I definitely will. It just went perfect with the filet. I was thinking of cooking some cocktail shrimp in the mix as well. Just thinking about it just makes this lame baked chicken I'm eating kinda dull. :frown:

Ronnin said:
I definitely will. It just went perfect with the filet. I was thinking of cooking some cocktail shrimp in the mix as well. Just thinking about it just makes this lame baked chicken I'm eating kinda dull. :frown:
Yeah, you're killing me. :frown: I just had popcorn for dinner. :yuck:

Ronnin said:
Peasant food is some of the best food. Anyone here a fan of pierogies? QUOTE]

Perogies are the best! My grandma makes them and they are to die for, I need to learn how to make her recipe because I tried another one and they weren't nearly as good as hers. She also makes amazing cabbage rolls, and sauerkraut buns ( homemade bread stuffed with hamburger, sauerkraut and bacon). Russian grandmas are awesome lol.

scorpa said:
Ronnin said:
Peasant food is some of the best food. Anyone here a fan of pierogies? QUOTE]

Perogies are the best! My grandma makes them and they are to die for, I need to learn how to make her recipe because I tried another one and they weren't nearly as good as hers. She also makes amazing cabbage rolls, and sauerkraut buns ( homemade bread stuffed with hamburger, sauerkraut and bacon). Russian grandmas are awesome lol.

Mrs. T's just don't cut it. Pierogies are pretty simple but they are a lot of work to make. I've had them kraut style, potatoe and onion style, and even with prunes. I've always wanted to do some up with potatoe and jalapenoes for that Texas taste. I was told that this would be sacrilege and would be banished from the kitchen for suggesting such a thing. I find that the kitchen is one of those places where a man's culinary input is easily overridden. :rolleyes:

1. What is the purpose of "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)"?

The purpose of "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)" is to challenge individuals to identify a dish based on its ingredients and description.

2. How does "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)" work?

"Name This Dish (because I sure can't)" works by providing a list of ingredients and a brief description of the dish, then asking participants to guess the name of the dish.

3. Can anyone participate in "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)". It is open to anyone who enjoys food and likes a good challenge.

4. Are there any prizes for correctly identifying the dish in "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)"?

There are no official prizes for correctly identifying the dish in "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)". However, it can be a fun and satisfying way to test your knowledge and culinary skills.

5. Can I submit my own dish for "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)"?

At the moment, "Name This Dish (because I sure can't)" does not accept submissions for new dishes. However, this may change in the future. Stay tuned for updates!