Proving the Existence of a Supremum in a Compact Subset of R^n

• Thread starter bxn4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, the author is trying to prove that a compact subset of a larger space contains points that are equidistant from a given point. The author is using some basic topological results to show that this is the case.
bxn4
I am struggling to prove the following: Let E be a compact nonempty subset of R^k and let delta = {d(x,y): x,y in E}. Show E contains points x_0,y_0 such that d(x_0,y_0)=delta.

Physics news on Phys.org
bxn4 said:
I am struggling to prove the following: Let E be a compact nonempty subset of R^k and let delta = {d(x,y): x,y in E}. Show E contains points x_0,y_0 such that d(x_0,y_0)=delta.

Am I correct to guess that you meant the supremum

[tex]
\Delta := \sup\{d(x,y)\;|\;x,y\in E\}\; ?
[/tex]

It is convenient to consider a function [itex]d:E\times E\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], and use some basic topological results, or their immediate consequences. For example: The Cartesian product of compact sets is a compact set. In metric spaces compact sets are sequentially compact. The distance function d is continuous. Continuous mappings map compact sets into compact sets. The Heine-Borel Theorem. Just put pieces together!

jostpuur said:
Am I correct to guess that you meant the supremum

[tex]
\Delta := \sup\{d(x,y)\;|\;x,y\in E\}\; ?
[/tex]

It is convenient to consider a function [itex]d:E\times E\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], and use some basic topological results, or their immediate consequences. For example: The Cartesian product of compact sets is a compact set. In metric spaces compact sets are sequentially compact. The distance function d is continuous. Continuous mappings map compact sets into compact sets. The Heine-Borel Theorem. Just put pieces together!

Yes, it is the supremum. I am using the fact that E is compact to show that there is a subsequence that converges in E. Then I'd want to say that the limit of d(x_n_j, y_n_j) is
\Delta but not sure how to show it. We have not talked about continuous functions. We have only studied sequences so far.

thanks

1. What is a compact subset of R^n?

A compact subset of R^n is a subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space that is closed and bounded. This means that the subset contains all of its boundary points and is contained within a finite region of space.

2. How do you determine if a subset of R^n is compact?

A subset of R^n is compact if it is both closed and bounded. To determine if a subset is closed, you can check if all of its limit points are contained within the subset. To check if a subset is bounded, you can see if it is contained within a finite region of space.

3. What are some examples of compact subsets of R^n?

Examples of compact subsets of R^n include a closed interval in one dimension, a closed disk in two dimensions, and a closed ball in three dimensions. In general, any closed and bounded subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space is considered compact.

4. What is the significance of compact subsets in mathematics?

Compact subsets are important in mathematics because they have nice topological properties that make them easier to study and analyze. They also allow for the application of powerful theorems, such as the Heine-Borel theorem and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.

5. How are compact subsets related to continuity and convergence?

In general, a function is continuous on a compact subset if and only if it is uniformly continuous. This means that the function's behavior on the subset is consistent and predictable. Additionally, compact subsets are useful for analyzing convergence of sequences and series, as they provide a framework for understanding when and how a sequence or series will converge.