Plasma Conductivity: Can You Light a LED?

In summary: Ahhh...Right, I just included that tidbit because, in some ways, plasmons behave like a plasma for conducting information. This is the property in which nanotechnologists are interested, and seemed like it might be the same sort of behavior being asked about in the OP.
VelociBlade
Is it possible for plasma to be conducted through a metal wire? I was wondering if you supply the wire with enough plasma to light a low power LED.

Engineering news on Phys.org
VelociBlade said:
Is it possible for plasma to be conducted through a metal wire? I was wondering if you supply the wire with enough plasma to light a low power LED.

Er... a plasma is highly unstable under such circumstances. It WANTS to not be a plasma, and considering the fact that it is inside a material and can easily bump into other entities... If you look at the fact that even in vacuum chamber, it is that difficult to maintain a plasma state, that should give you your answer.

Zz.

What if you used a magnetic field to hold the plasma steady?

VelociBlade said:
What if you used a magnetic field to hold the plasma steady?

That's fine. But where are you going to find in outer space not only "magnetic fields" strong enough to hold it, but also having the right geometry to be able to cause such long-range coherence?

Look at the scenario you are proposing and see if this is a realistic expectation/requirement. You are suggesting that this "thing", that occupies a substantial portion of our universe, has just the right magnetic field (from who knows where) with the right geometry all over our visible universe, to cause these gasses to make a BE condensation. This seems reasonable to you?

Zz.

Um... where did the universe come into this? I'm only talking abot a half-inch blob, not a freaking star. Also, what do you mean by geometry?

VelociBlade said:
Um... where did the universe come into this? I'm only talking abot a half-inch blob, not a freaking star. Also, what do you mean by geometry?

The geometry as in the geometry of the magnetic field that you want to hold this plasma inside a conductor. You will note that in the plasma confinement devices, you need a specific geometry to be able to hold such a plasma, and it isn't trivial. Furthermore, a conductor tends to shield a lot of external EM fields up to the skin depth of the conductor. You cannot maintain such magnetic fields inside a conductor to hold such plasma.

The other part about the universe is simply my confusion with another thread.

Zz.

A magnetic field would indeed help contain the plasma, but would do it far better without the wire.

EDIT TO ADD:

Although I should point out the research being done into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plasmon" , mostly in the field of nanotechnology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm - what's with the "plasmon" stuff? Isn't plasma just free-floating subatomic particles?

VelociBlade said:
Ummm - what's with the "plasmon" stuff? Isn't plasma just free-floating subatomic particles?

This is why you have to really read and understand something first. Naively, a plasmon is simply a collective behavior of the conduction electrons of metals. It is not a "plasma" in the sense that you want. The same way one can "quantize" lattice vibrations and call them "phonons", one can also deal with the conduction electrons in a metal via some collective property. Because the conduction electrons are simply thought of to be a "gas", they call them a "plasmon". However, this is NOT the plasma that we normally associate with and that we hear about.

Zz.

Ahhh...

Right, I just included that tidbit because, in some ways, plasmons behave like a plasma for conducting information. This is the property in which nanotechnologists are interested, and seemed like it might be the same sort of behavior being asked about in the OP.

1. What is plasma conductivity?

Plasma conductivity refers to the ability of plasma, a state of matter where atoms have partially or fully lost their electrons, to conduct electricity. This is due to the presence of free electrons and ions in plasma, which can carry an electric current.

2. How is plasma conductivity different from other forms of conductivity?

Unlike solids, liquids, and gases, plasma is not a well-defined state of matter and can vary in its properties. However, what sets plasma conductivity apart from other forms of conductivity is its ability to conduct electricity without the need for a complete circuit. This is because plasma can generate its own electric and magnetic fields.

3. Can plasma conductivity be used to light a LED?

Yes, plasma conductivity can be used to light a LED (light-emitting diode). When a high voltage is applied to a gas such as neon or argon, it can ionize the gas and produce plasma. This plasma can then emit light, which can be used to power a LED.

4. How is plasma conductivity measured?

Plasma conductivity is typically measured using a device called a Langmuir probe. This instrument consists of a small metal rod that is inserted into the plasma. By measuring the current flowing between the probe and the surrounding plasma, the conductivity of the plasma can be determined.

5. What are the practical applications of plasma conductivity?

Plasma conductivity has a wide range of practical applications, including in plasma displays, fluorescent lights, and plasma processing for materials such as semiconductors. It also has potential uses in space propulsion, nuclear fusion, and biomedical applications such as sterilization and wound healing.