Timing Creativity: How to Be a Good Physicist

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creativity
In summary: However, if you can get into the habit of having a plan for how you're going to tackle a problem, and sticking to it, you're going to be okay.
bjnartowt
Hi everyone!

A recurrent point-of-emphasis I'm getting, in response to my eternal quest to "become a better physicist", is: "stay creative".

That being said: I have alternating bouts of creativity and depression.

For instance, as I write this, I have just come back from solving a problem (from the beginning) I'd been thinking about for awhile in the matter of about 10 minutes.

On the other extreme: I looked at a Hamiltonian H = q[1]*p[2] - q[2]*p[1], said to myself "That looks like it curls", thought nothing of it, and just blandly chugged out a bunch of equations that were the result of turning a mathematical crank. In retrospect, I suspected a fit of depression.

That brings me to my question: "how do you "be a good physicist" and "be successful in grad school" if you're depending on such a sporatic and irregular thing as creativity to kick in on time to meet the demands of deadlines?"

Physics news on Phys.org
bjnartowt said:
That brings me to my question: "how do you "be a good physicist" and "be successful in grad school" if you're depending on such a sporatic and irregular thing as creativity to kick in on time to meet the demands of deadlines?"

This problem is not specific to physics-- it applies to anything that requires creativity. The answer, I think, is to not be discouraged, and just continue working at the problem. There's no question that your brain hashes through things on its own, subconsciously, while you go about your day, and sometimes that is the correct approach. However, I've found that its equally necessary to continue to apply yourself to a problem to find new ways of looking at it. What you call just chugging out equations, turning a mechanical crank, I would compare to drawing a picture, filling out the detail, so you can get a better understanding. If the solution doesn't reveal itself, you just have to step back and find another angle to look at it from.

There is no wasted work if it leads you to the right path.

As for creativity on a deadline, think about William Faulkner's famous quote on the subject (in reference, of course, to finding inspiration for writing):

"I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately I am inspired at 9 o'clock every morning." -William Faulkner

There's a lot of "grunt work" in physics and the hard part is usually turning the creative idea into something useful. What I do is to keep a notebook. If I have a creative idea, I scribble it down, that way I don't have to work on it immediately. Also, I find that it's a bad thing if I get into a phase when I'm *too* creative. I have these moments when I'm thinking about a hundred ideas a second, and in those situations I really, really have to cool my brain down.

I usually find that I have far more ideas than time, which is a good thing since I just focus on the one or two ideas that might be useful, and don't worry about anything else.

People that are involved in physics and math tend to have sharper mood swings that the general population, and it's a struggle to manage those moods.

1. How can I improve my creativity as a physicist?

There are several ways to improve your creativity as a physicist. First, try to think outside the box and challenge traditional ideas and methods. Experiment with different approaches and techniques. Additionally, engage in activities outside of your field of study to broaden your perspectives and gain new insights. Lastly, surround yourself with other creative individuals and collaborate on projects to stimulate new ideas.

2. Is it important to have good timing in creativity as a physicist?

Yes, timing is crucial in creativity as a physicist. It is important to identify when to be critical and analytical, and when to let your imagination run wild. Knowing when to switch between these modes of thinking can lead to breakthroughs and innovative ideas. Additionally, being aware of current trends and developments in your field can help you time your creativity effectively.

3. How can I balance creativity with the rigors of scientific research?

Finding a balance between creativity and scientific research can be challenging. One way to achieve this is by incorporating creative thinking into your research process. This can involve brainstorming sessions, seeking inspiration from other fields, and allowing yourself to explore unconventional ideas. It is also important to set aside time for both creativity and research, rather than trying to do both simultaneously.

4. What role does collaboration play in timing creativity as a physicist?

Collaboration is essential in timing creativity as a physicist. Working with others can bring new perspectives and ideas, leading to more innovative solutions. Collaborating with individuals from diverse backgrounds and expertise can also help expand your thinking and push you to explore new ideas. Additionally, collaborating on projects can help you stay accountable and motivated in your creative pursuits.

5. Can timing creativity be learned or is it an innate skill?

Timing creativity can be both learned and innate. Some individuals may naturally have a better sense of when to be analytical and when to be creative. However, it is a skill that can also be developed through practice and self-awareness. Paying attention to your thought processes and identifying when to switch between analytical and creative thinking can help you improve your timing creativity as a physicist.