Bead on a hoop+accelerating elevator

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum velocty that a bead must have in order to reach a certain point. The attempted solution is found using energy conservation with a "new gravity" which states that V=2sqrt{(g+a)R}. If solving the problem using Newton's 2nd law in an accelerating frame is considered, the result is that m\vec{a}_{rel}=\vec{F}_{real}-m\vec{a}_{frame}. However, this equation is not correct because the answer is messed up. The correct equation is found to be: m\frac{V^{2}}{R}=-mg+N-ma. This shows that the
PhMichael

Homework Statement

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8904/bead.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The picture speaks for itself. I'm asked to find the minimum velocty that this bead should be given so that it will reach point B. 2. The attempt at a solution

I've solved this question using energy conservation with a "new gravity": [tex] g_{eff}=g+a [/tex] , so that:

[tex] 0.5mV^{2}=m(g+a)(2R) \to V=2 \sqrt{(g+a)R} [/tex]

and this is the right answer.

However, supposing I want to solve this question using Newton's 2nd law in an accelerating frame, so:

[tex] m \vec {a}_{rel} = \vec{F}_{real} - m \vec{a}_{frame} [/tex]

If i take the positive values to be in the direction of the relative acceleration, i'll obtain:

[tex] m \frac{V^{2}}{R} = mg + ma \to V= \sqrt {(g+a) R } [/tex] ?

Why is that? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhMichael said:
[tex] m \frac{V^{2}}{R} = mg + ma \to V= \sqrt {(g+a) R } [/tex] ?

What does this equation mean? Is it the correct condition for the bead to reach B? :wink:

Obviously it's not correct because the answer is messed up :D , but assuming i didn't know the correct answer i'll say yes, it the the correct one. I don't see where's the problem.

What does this equation means? hmmm ... Isn't it simply the modified 2nd law of Newton in accelerating frames?

That equation describes the motion of the bead in the lift frame at the lowest point, given that the bead doesn't experience normal force from the hoop. But that doesn't guarantee the bead can climb up to B :wink:

EDIT: I see something deadly wrong here. At the lowest point, in the lift frame, gravitational force and fictitious force point down, but the centripetal force points up. Normal force cannot be zero.

Last edited:
Reagarding the normal force, I really forgot all about it (in addition, I'm given that the hoop is frictionless) ... so the equation should be:

[tex]
m \frac{V^{2}}{R} = mg -N + ma
[/tex]

and at point B we want it to be: [tex] N \neq 0 [/tex] ... but I still have 2 unknows :/

PhMichael said:
Reagarding the normal force, I really forgot all about it (in addition, I'm given that the hoop is frictionless) ... so the equation should be:

[tex]
m \frac{V^{2}}{R} = mg -N + ma
[/tex]

and at point B we want it to be: [tex] N \neq 0 [/tex] ... but I still have 2 unknows :/

You got the wrong signs! It should be:
[tex]
m \frac{V^{2}}{R} = -mg +N - ma
[/tex]
Anyway, this doesn't show any possibility that the bead can go up to B. You may disregard this force method; otherwise, if you continue with it, the equation you get is eventually the same as the energy equation.

P.S.: Some more comments on this. You may repeat the idea that [tex]N \neq 0[/tex] is the condition taken from some other problems, but it does not apply to this problem. We always have [tex]N \neq 0[/tex], as the bead is forced to follow a circular motion.

yeah, I used the energy equation at first and got it right but I just wanted to see whether I get the same answer form the force method. So are you saying it's insolvable this way?

It's solvable, but it's actually the same as energy method. Here it is:
1 - Because the bead is forced to follow a circular path, the normal force must always satisfy that. In other words, the normal force is determined by the circular motion.
2 - The only thing that matter is that if the component of other forces (i.e. weight & fictitious force) along the hoop can pull the bead down before the bead reaches B. Let [tex]\phi[/tex] denote the angle coordinate of the bead to the horizontal. We have:

[tex]-m(g+a)cos(\phi) = mRd\omega/dt=mR\omega d\omega/d\phi[/tex]

Therefore: [tex]\int_{V/R}^{0}R\omega d\omega = -\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}(g+a)cos(\phi)d\phi[/tex]

And that is the same as the energy equation.

Last edited:
Hello could you look at ? the post /showthread.php?t=612910
:)

1. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the motion of the bead on a hoop?

The acceleration of the elevator affects the motion of the bead on a hoop by changing the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force acting on the bead. As the elevator accelerates, the bead will experience a pseudo-force in the opposite direction of the elevator's acceleration, causing it to move in a curved path along the hoop.

2. Does the mass of the bead impact its motion on the hoop?

Yes, the mass of the bead will impact its motion on the hoop. The greater the mass of the bead, the more inertia it will have and the more resistant it will be to changes in its motion caused by the elevator's acceleration. However, the mass of the bead does not affect the direction of its motion on the hoop, which is determined by the gravitational and pseudo-forces acting on it.

3. How does the radius of the hoop influence the bead's motion on the accelerating elevator?

The radius of the hoop will determine the centripetal force required to keep the bead moving in a circular path. A larger radius will require a greater centripetal force, and thus the bead will experience a greater pseudo-force as the elevator accelerates. This will result in a larger curvature of the bead's path along the hoop.

4. What is the relationship between the acceleration of the elevator and the velocity of the bead on the hoop?

The acceleration of the elevator and the velocity of the bead on the hoop are directly related. As the elevator accelerates, the bead will experience a pseudo-force that will cause it to accelerate in the opposite direction. This will result in an increase in the velocity of the bead along the hoop.

5. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of the bead on the hoop in an accelerating elevator?

The presence of friction between the bead and the hoop will cause the bead to experience a tangential force in the opposite direction of its motion. This will result in a decrease in the speed of the bead and a decrease in the radius of its motion on the hoop. In extreme cases, the bead may come to a stop or even slide off the hoop due to the frictional force.