Surface temperature to Atmospheric temp.

In summary, the surface temperature of a city is 20 degrees celsius and the temperature at 2 km above the surface decreases at half the average rate of the troposphere. This means a decrease of 5 degrees per km, resulting in a temperature of 10 degrees celsius at 2 km above the surface.
droseph

Homework Statement

The surface temperature of a city is 20 degrees celsius. What is the temperature at 2 km above the surface if the temperature decreases at "half the average rate" of the troposphere? Show your calculations.

Homework Equations

None really, it may be just simple math.

The Attempt at a Solution

rate = 20 degrees / 2 km = 10 degrees loss / km and it says half of that so it would be 5 degrees loss per km. My answer would be 10 degrees celsius @ 2 kms.

I don't know if that's right? Thanks for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi droseph,

droseph said:

Homework Statement

The surface temperature of a city is 20 degrees celsius. What is the temperature at 2 km above the surface if the temperature decreases at "half the average rate" of the troposphere? Show your calculations.

Homework Equations

None really, it may be just simple math.

The Attempt at a Solution

rate = 20 degrees / 2 km = 10 degrees loss / km and it says half of that so it would be 5 degrees loss per km. My answer would be 10 degrees celsius @ 2 kms.

I don't know if that's right? Thanks for helping

If that rate for the troposphere (10 degrees/km) is what you should be using, then the rest looks right to me.

1. What is the relationship between surface temperature and atmospheric temperature?

The surface temperature and atmospheric temperature are closely related. As the surface temperature increases, so does the atmospheric temperature. This is because the Earth's surface absorbs solar radiation and releases it back into the atmosphere as heat, which warms the air.

2. How does the Earth's surface temperature affect the Earth's climate?

The Earth's surface temperature plays a crucial role in determining the Earth's climate. Changes in surface temperature can lead to changes in atmospheric circulation, precipitation patterns, and the melting of ice sheets, all of which can have significant impacts on the Earth's climate.

3. What factors can influence surface temperature?

There are several factors that can influence surface temperature, including the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, the composition of the atmosphere, and the Earth's tilt and rotation. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, can also contribute to changes in surface temperature.

4. How is surface temperature measured?

Surface temperature can be measured using a variety of methods, including weather stations, satellites, and buoys. These instruments collect data on the temperature of the air, land, and water at the Earth's surface, which can then be used to calculate an average surface temperature.

5. What is the difference between surface temperature and air temperature?

Surface temperature refers to the temperature of the Earth's surface, while air temperature refers to the temperature of the air in the lower atmosphere. These two temperatures can differ due to factors such as land cover, cloud cover, and the presence of urban heat islands.