Should I Choose a 6-Core or 4-Core Processor for My Next Computer?

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire for a computer with a large cache size. They are considering a Dell with an AMD Phenom II X6 processor which has 9MB of cache. However, they are concerned about whether current software and operating systems can effectively use all 6 cores of the processor. The group discusses the benefits of having more cores for multitasking and for certain applications such as gaming and video rendering. They also mention the importance of considering the speed of the processor itself and the impending release of new processors. It is recommended to wait for these new processors and to consider the number of pins and pci-express lanes for multiple card usage. Ultimately, it is agreed that multiple cores are becoming increasingly important for software
darkchild
I am shopping for a new computer and I want the largest cache size possible. I've found a Dell with an AMD Phenom II X6/9MB of cache. I only understand the basics of multicore technology, and the research I've been doing online suggests that current software and operating systems are not yet able to take much advantage of it, especially anything beyond a dual core processor. I'm wondering if 6 cores could actually slow things down. Would something like a quad core with 8MB of cache be a better choice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I assume that Windows will split up any multi-threaded application to use one thread per core if they are available. Some applications, such as video renderning applications, will use all the cpu cores and also hyperthreading if it's available. In addition, some video rendering applications can use the video card gpu to speed up rendering.

rcgldr said:
I assume that Windows will split up any multi-threaded application to use one thread per core if they are available. Some applications, such as video renderning applications, will use all the cpu cores and also hyperthreading if it's available. In addition, some video rendering applications can use the video card gpu to speed up rendering.

Yep. The problem is, I doubt that much of the software I use can make use of multithreading. I do like to use multiple programs at once, but nothing more intensive than, say, MATLAB, an email application, a web brower, and a music player.

It certainly would not slow things down (unless the cores themselves are slower), but it won't speed things up either. For value's sake it's best to keep it at most 4 cores, but 2 would be ideal.

I use six cores, and I am very satisfied. Being able to run a torrent, scan for viruses, and listen to music while playing a game all at the same time without impact on performance is awesome. Many games will take advantage of two cores, so I would say that having more than two is good because windows will put all the background processes onto the cores the game is not actually using. Many of the premium newer games take advantage of up to four cores, so having six is nice for the same reason. The back-up processes are handled on the cores not being used by the game.

The speed of the game is actually dependent on the speed of the processors themselves. So don't be mislead by the multiple cores in that respect.

I will say that for normal computer use, anything more than a dual core is overkill. For gaming I would recommend starting with a quad.

Most CPU-heavy applications can be (and usually are) adapted to make good use of four physical cores with low overhead.

Logical processors (hyperthreading) are generally less useful, and can be completely useless for many applications, so, for example, if choosing between Intel Core i7 950 (four cores + hyperthreading, 3.06 GHz, $280) and Intel Core i5 760 (four cores, 2.8 GHz, $175), I'd recommend to go with the i5 unless you have too much money.

I'd also recommend not to buy anything now, Intel is less than two months away from releasing a new line of processors, you'll have a better choice and possibly lower prices. Much of the high-end Intel product line is seriously overdue for some repricing. Newegg does not even carry any i7 9xx's lower than 950 any more, because the MSRP on 920-940 does not make any sense.

Personally, I'm waiting for January and then I'm going to go nuts on newegg. The plan is to get a i7-2600K, 16 GB of PC1600 memory, and some liquid cooling on top of that. My home CPU is going to be five years old next month, time to upgrade.

On a side note, one of the advantages of the i7-9xx sereies is they have more pins and support more pci-express lanes. This doesn't help much unless you plan to use multiple pci-express cards like a pair of video cards for gaming. Some sound cards are also pci-express, but they don't use a lot of pci-express lanes.

rcgldr said:
On a side note, one of the advantages of the i7-9xx sereies is they have more pins and support more pci-express lanes. This doesn't help much unless you plan to use multiple pci-express cards like a pair of video cards for gaming. Some sound cards are also pci-express, but they don't use a lot of pci-express lanes.

I'm not sure if that's really the case. I think that the additional pins of the 9xx are there because the 9xx has a triple-channel integrated memory controller and 8xx's and below are only dual-channel.

hamster143 said:
I'm not sure if that's really the case. I think that the additional pins of the 9xx are there because the 9xx has a triple-channel integrated memory controller and 8xx's and below are only dual-channel.
Depending on the motherboard (for example X58), i7 900 series handle 32 or 36 pci express lanes, while the other intel cpus and motherboard chipsets are 16 lanes.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen LGA 1156 motherboards that can handle more than one PCI-Express x16 card.

hamster143 said:
I'm pretty sure that I've seen LGA 1156 motherboards that can handle more than one PCI-Express x16 card.
In that case, each one gets 8 lanes (or less).

To answer the OP, essentially ALL new software and operating systems will take advantage of multiple cores. Recent games utilize 2 or 3 (sometimes more for strategy games), and major software packages like Photoshop, Solidworks, Mathematica, etc. are all now taking advantages of multiple cores.

But the biggest thing to keep in mind here is not how programs are able to utilize the cores now, but how well they will in one, two, or three years. Programs will only get better at using more cores, so the solution that makes the most sense is a high core CPU. That is, if you can afford it. :D

1. What are multicores and how do they work?

Multicores refer to computers or processors that have multiple cores, or processing units, within a single physical chip. These cores work simultaneously to execute instructions and improve overall performance of the system.

2. What are the benefits of using multicores?

Multicores offer several benefits, including increased processing speed, improved multitasking capabilities, and better overall performance for tasks that can be parallelized. They also consume less power and produce less heat compared to single-core processors.

3. Are multicores worth the cost?

The answer to this question depends on the specific needs and use case of the user. For tasks that can benefit from parallel processing, multicores can greatly improve performance and may be worth the cost. However, for tasks that do not require parallel processing, the cost may not be justified.

4. How do multicores impact software development?

Multicores require software to be designed and optimized for parallel processing in order to fully utilize their capabilities. This can be a challenge for software developers, but also presents opportunities for creating more efficient and powerful applications.

5. Are all applications compatible with multicores?

No, not all applications are compatible with multicores. Some tasks may not be able to be parallelized and therefore will not benefit from multicores. Additionally, older software may not be optimized for multicores and may not run as efficiently on these processors.