Nuclear plant refueling and temporary workers

In summary, during refueling outages at nuclear power plants like Three Mile Island, hundreds of temporary workers are brought in to assist with the activity. These workers are closely monitored and scanned for potential contamination before entering and leaving the plant, and security measures have increased since 9/11. There are strict protocols in place to prevent any radioactive particles from being transported off-site. However, there have been cases in the past where contamination has been detected, emphasizing the importance of thorough monitoring and decontamination procedures.
meb66
I live and work approximately ten miles from the infamous Three Mile Island nuclear plant. As many of you probably know, this facility (and I assume others around the country) is periodically shut down for refueling. From what I understand, hundreds of temporary workers are brought into assist with this activity.

I believe the last refueling outage at TMI was back in fall 2009. Literally thousands of temp workers arrived for that one due to some other major work (installation of new steam generators. etc) that was being done at the time. I assume that many of these workers stayed at local hotels, possibly rented cars, ate at local restaurants, etc. during their time in the area.

My question has to do with how closely a small army of workers like this is checked for potential contamination before they leave a plant site everyday. In other words, what is the chance that any of these workers could inadvertently transport radioactive particles/material off-site (into the community) via their clothing, shoes, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to read

Engineering news on Phys.org
meb66 said:
I live and work approximately ten miles from the infamous Three Mile Island nuclear plant. As many of you probably know, this facility (and I assume others around the country) is periodically shut down for refueling. From what I understand, hundreds of temporary workers are brought into assist with this activity.

I believe the last refueling outage at TMI was back in fall 2009. Literally thousands of temp workers arrived for that one due to some other major work (installation of new steam generators. etc) that was being done at the time. I assume that many of these workers stayed at local hotels, possibly rented cars, ate at local restaurants, etc. during their time in the area.

My question has to do with how closely a small army of workers like this is checked for potential contamination before they leave a plant site everyday. In other words, what is the chance that any of these workers could inadvertently transport radioactive particles/material off-site (into the community) via their clothing, shoes, etc?

Workers going into certain areas of the plant - particularly containment are scanned - whole body in and out. Whenever I go into highly restricted areas - I've been scanned in and out. The detectors are pretty sensitive.

That is even more so true today than in the past. Since 9/11 security is much tighter. The utility has an interest to make sure that nothing unwanted gets in or out.

meb66 said:

This link might help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_decontamination

Thanks for the info, guys

Can get a little scary thinking about this given the large number of people going in and out of these plants daily ... and the fact that even tiny amounts of some radioactive substances (particularly if inhaled from what I've read) can potentially be very dangerous.

You should remember that everything around a nuclear power plant is very well monitored for the presence of radioactive contamination, with very sensitive instruments.

Look up the case of Stanley Watras, for an interesting demonstration of the implications of this.

As another example, if you went into a nuclear power plant and you have recently had a nuclear medicine procedure, you would probably set off all those monitors too.

1. What is nuclear plant refueling and why is it necessary?

Nuclear plant refueling is the process of replacing the fuel rods in a nuclear reactor with new ones. This is necessary because the fuel rods become less efficient over time and need to be replaced in order for the reactor to continue producing electricity.

2. How often does a nuclear plant need to be refueled?

The frequency of nuclear plant refueling varies depending on the type of reactor and its operational schedule. Generally, most reactors are refueled every 1-2 years.

3. How long does the refueling process take?

The duration of the refueling process also varies depending on the type of reactor and its specific needs. On average, the refueling process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months.

4. What role do temporary workers play in nuclear plant refueling?

Temporary workers are often hired to assist with the refueling process in nuclear plants. They may help with tasks such as removing and replacing fuel rods, conducting maintenance, and providing additional support to the regular plant staff.

5. Is it safe for temporary workers to be involved in nuclear plant refueling?

Yes, it is safe for temporary workers to be involved in nuclear plant refueling as they are trained and supervised by experienced plant staff. Additionally, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to ensure the safety of all workers involved in the refueling process.