Program to solve for a formula given a set of pairs of points?

In summary, the person is looking for a program that can solve for a general function when given a set of pairs of points. However, this type of program does not exist because there are infinitely many functions that can fit any given set of points. The most common type of data fitting to a function is least squares polynomial fitting. The person is also trying to get a music synthesizer program to play custom songs by converting frequency of notes into a hexadecimal representation, but this information is better suited for a sound programming forum.
zeion
Hi,

I'm look for a program that can solve for a general function when given a set of pairs of points?
Does anything like that exist?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This doesn't exist, because there are infinitely many functions that can fit any given set of points. Is there any particular kind of function you think the points are supposed to look like? Least squares polynomial fitting is the most common type of data fitting to a function

Basically...
I'm looking at a music synthesizer program that converts frequency of notes into a hexadecimal representation that the program reads and plays, and I'm trying to get it to play my custom songs, but I can't figure out how it's doing that conversion.

If the 'hexadecimal' numbers you refer to are MIDI notes, then the formula is very likely this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)#Labeling_pitches

But this is a question better suited for a sound programming forum; it has little relation to what you wrote in your first post, I'm afraid.

I can assure you that there are many programs available that can solve for a formula given a set of pairs of points. These programs fall under the category of mathematical modeling and can be found in various software packages, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python. Additionally, there are online tools and calculators that can also perform this task. These programs use various methods, such as regression analysis and curve fitting, to determine the most appropriate function that fits the given set of points. I recommend doing some research and selecting a program that best suits your specific needs and data set.

1. How does the program solve for a formula given a set of pairs of points?

The program uses a mathematical process called linear regression to find a line of best fit that passes through all the given points. This line can then be represented by a formula, which can be used to solve for any other points within the given range.

2. What is linear regression and how does it work?

Linear regression is a statistical method used to find the relationship between two variables, in this case, the x and y coordinates of the given points. It works by minimizing the distance between the actual points and the predicted points on the line of best fit.

3. How accurate is the formula generated by the program?

The accuracy of the formula depends on the quality and quantity of the given points. Generally, the more points that are provided, the more accurate the formula will be. However, there may be some variability due to the nature of linear regression and the possibility of outliers in the data.

4. Can the program handle non-linear relationships between the points?

No, the program is specifically designed to solve for linear relationships between the given points. Non-linear relationships require different methods of analysis and cannot be accurately represented by a single formula.

5. What if there are missing or incorrect points in the given data?

If there are missing or incorrect points in the data, the program may still generate a formula, but it may not be as accurate. It is important to ensure that all points are correctly entered to get the most accurate formula.