Calculating Illuminance of a panel light

• Thread starter GearlooseHC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the individual is seeking to build a panel light with four fluorescent tubes that have a diameter of 26 mm and a length of 1200 mm. The tubes are mounted on a board covered with aluminum foil as a reflector and each tube produces a luminous flux of 2340 Lumen. The individual wants to calculate the illuminance in lux at a distance of one meter perpendicular to the panel light, with a margin of error of 10-20%. The individual has attempted to calculate the direct and reflected light components, assuming a reflection rate of 85%. The total illuminance at one meter above the board is estimated to be 773.67 Lux. The individual is seeking confirmation on the accuracy of their assumptions and
GearlooseHC
Hello,

I would like to build a panel light with four flourescent tubes.
The tubes have a diameter of 26 mm and are 1200 mm long.
They have a distance of 42 mm one to another.

The tubes are mounted on a board, that is covered with aluminium foil as a reflector. Each tube produces a luminous flux of 2340 Lumen.

I would like to calculate the illuminance in Lux in one meter perpendicular distance of the panel light.

How can I do that ?

The result does not have to be perfect – a result within 10 – 20 % of the actual value would be satisfactory.

Science news on Phys.org
My attempt

An attempt that I made, under the assumption that the light photons spread out evenly from the flouro tubes in all directions:

1. Direct light from the tubes

There is the area directly above the board-

a. 0.32 x 1.3 = 0.416 m²

then there is the surface area of the four eighth-spheres in the corners, each with a radius of 1 m:

b. 4 x ( 0.5 x pi x 1²) = 2 x pi = 6.28 m²

then the surface of the four quarter cylinders alongside the length and width of the board:

c. 2 x ( 0.5pi x 1 x 1.3 ) + 2 x (0.5pi x 1 x 0.32) = pi x 1.3 + pi x 0.32 = 5.09 m²

The sum of this surfaces is 11.19 m²

Only half of the photons radiates directly of the tubes - the other half are reflected by the aluminum foil.

Thus: ( 2340 Lumen x 4) :2 : 11.19m² = 4680 Lumen : 11.19m² = 418.2 Lux

That's the direct component , 1m above the board.

2. The reflected light That are all the photons that bounce off the aluminum foil.
I assume a reflection rate of 85 %. Again all is evenly distributed in all directions.

Then the reflection component of illuminance is 0.85 x 418.2 Lux = 355.5 Lux

Thus the sum of the illuminance of the direct and reflected light one meter above the board is 418.2 Lux + 355.5 Lux = 773.67 Lux

Do my assumptions and calculations make sense ?

Regards, Werner

1. What is illuminance and why is it important in panel light calculations?

Illuminance refers to the amount of light that falls on a surface. It is important in panel light calculations because it determines the level of brightness and visibility provided by the light source. This is crucial in determining the suitability of a panel light for a particular environment or task.

2. How is illuminance measured for panel lights?

Illuminance is measured using a device called a lux meter. This tool measures the amount of light in lux, which is the unit of illuminance. The lux meter is placed at the desired location and pointed towards the panel light to measure the amount of light reaching that area.

3. What factors affect the illuminance of a panel light?

The illuminance of a panel light can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the light source and the surface, the angle of the light, the color temperature of the light, and any obstructions that may block the light from reaching the surface.

4. How do you calculate the illuminance of a panel light?

The illuminance of a panel light can be calculated using the following formula: E = I / d^2, where E is illuminance (lux), I is the light intensity (lumens), and d is the distance between the light source and the surface (meters). This formula assumes that the light source is emitting light uniformly in all directions.

5. Can the illuminance of a panel light be adjusted?

Yes, the illuminance of a panel light can be adjusted by changing the distance between the light source and the surface or by using dimming controls. Some panel lights also have adjustable angles, which can affect the direction and intensity of the light, ultimately affecting the illuminance. Additionally, choosing a panel light with a higher or lower lumen output can also impact the illuminance.