AD633 analog multiplier IC and AM generation.

In summary, the person is trying to use the circuit shown in the datasheet of the AD633 to generate AM waves, but the output they are getting is not correct. They believe that the reason for this is a computer software malfunction or misadjustment, and they suggest that the person first try to set the emitter to zero and see if the carrier is making it through. They also suggest trying small increments of the emitter's power. If that does not work, they suggest checking the circuit diagram for any errors.
dexterdev
Hi PF,
I used the circuit shown in datasheet of AD633 to generate AM waves. But the output I got was not correct. I want to why this error comes and explanations will be helpful. I will have to go for BF194 designs else. Here in our labs transistor circuits seldom works. Why I don't know? Please help. I am attaching the circuit and o/p waves.

TIA

-Devanand T

Attachments

• am_ad633.jpg
    am_ad633.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,611
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks like a problem in whatever you're using to simulate a scope.. signals don't just 'end' like that, jump to the side, resume, end again, and jump back. Defective scope software does though.

Looks like your "Y" input is not making it into the AD633. Check connections to pins 3 and 4.

I am not using any simulation s/w, this is the cro o/p I reproduced by drawing...

The waveform looks like modulation is superimposed (added to) carrier instead of modulating the carrier. This will happen if the carrier is making it into Z but not into Y1. Check your Y1,Y2 connection.

What frequency are you at?

The picture that appears on my screen shows bottom half of measured output wave shifted right by about seven carrier cycles.
If i shift it left to where it aligns, i see a wave that looks just like "expected".

I would diagnose that as a computer software malfunction or misadjustment.

What kind of device are you using to capture that wave?

I dislike computerized oscilloscopes for basic work.

I cut copy shifted the image of wave to resemble the wave I got in real CRO...It is not a software generated output.

What emi guy said...

well, get it working one piece at a time.

Set Em to zero and see if carrier Ec is making it through...

then try very small increments of Em,

is what i'd do.

will try...

the circuit diagram has no error.

1. What is an AD633 analog multiplier IC?

An AD633 analog multiplier IC is an integrated circuit that is designed to perform the mathematical operation of multiplication on analog signals. It is a specialized electronic component that takes in two analog signals and outputs their product.

2. How does an AD633 analog multiplier IC work?

An AD633 analog multiplier IC uses a technique known as Gilbert cell multiplication. It consists of four main functional blocks - a pair of differential input amplifiers, an adjustable current source, a transconductance amplifier, and a multiplier core. Through the use of these blocks, the AD633 is able to accurately multiply two analog signals.

3. What are the applications of an AD633 analog multiplier IC?

An AD633 analog multiplier IC is commonly used in electronic circuits that require precision multiplication of analog signals. It is often used in signal processing applications such as frequency mixing, phase detection, amplitude modulation, and demodulation. It is also used in instrumentation circuits for measurement and control purposes.

4. Can an AD633 analog multiplier IC be used for AM generation?

Yes, an AD633 analog multiplier IC can be used for AM (amplitude modulation) generation. By multiplying a carrier signal with a modulating signal, the AD633 can produce an AM signal. However, an external low pass filter is needed to remove the high-frequency components generated by the multiplication process.

5. What are the advantages of using an AD633 analog multiplier IC?

The main advantages of using an AD633 analog multiplier IC are its accuracy, speed, and versatility. It can accurately multiply analog signals with a high degree of precision. It also has a fast response time, making it suitable for high-frequency applications. Additionally, it can be used in a variety of electronic circuits, making it a versatile component for many different applications.