Register to reply

Measurement of upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump?

by heisenbergman
Tags: exerted, force, human, jump, measurement, upward, vertical
Share this thread:
heisenbergman
Jul7-13, 09:57 PM
P: 2
Hi,

I'm doing some research on developing a physics-based platform game and I want to see how the gameplay will feel if the environment and physics were made to scale as realistically as possible.

Since one of the core features of a 2D platformer is jumping, I need some figures on how much force is actually exerted when a human jumps vertically.

Are there any resources regarding this?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
DiracPool
Jul7-13, 10:56 PM
P: 534
Well, first of all it depends on 1) the mass (in Kg) of the person jumping, 2) the gravitational potential that the person is jumping through (is he on the Earth, the moon, Mars?), and 3) the acceleration of the person due to the jump. After you've identified those parameters, I think all your gonna need is Newton's handy old F=ma to get your answer. As far a resource related to gaming algorithms, I am unaware of any, but I'd imagine they exist "pre-fabbed" somewhere, its a common feature in many games even though I'm not a gamer.
wotanub
Jul8-13, 12:36 AM
P: 218
It's not going to be much of a platformer if the character can't jump 2-3 times his height. A human can't even jump 5 feet in the air from standing, but Super Mario jumps 3 times his own height.

Anyway, why don't you stand on a scale and jump to see how much force you exert on the ground.

A.T.
Jul8-13, 05:09 AM
P: 3,913
Measurement of upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump?

Quote Quote by heisenbergman View Post
Are there any resources regarding this?
You can try to find something here:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...ed=0CDAQgQMwAA

Register to reply