Position and Position vector

by san203
Tags: position, vector, vectors
Share this thread:
san203
Oct5-13, 10:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 41
What is a position vector? Is their any difference between the position vector and position? Isnt position of a point supposed to represent its direction in Cartesian plane as well(Positive quadrants , negative quadrants). So why two different terms?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
phinds
Oct5-13, 12:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,103
Just at a guess, I'd say it's like this: position in a 2D Cartesian coordinate system is absolute and is described by two numbers. A position vector is relative to some starting point, which MIGHT be the origin but might not be.
jbunniii
Oct5-13, 01:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,171
One might say that a position vector ##[x\,\,y]## is the equivalence class of pairs of points ##(a,b)##, ##(c,d)## in the plane satisfying ##c-a = x## and ##d-b = y##.

mathman
Oct5-13, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,037
Position and Position vector

Quote Quote by san203 View Post
What is a position vector? Is their any difference between the position vector and position? Isnt position of a point supposed to represent its direction in Cartesian plane as well(Positive quadrants , negative quadrants). So why two different terms?
Position in a plane: (x,y)
Position vector in a plane: vector from (0,0) to (x,y)
san203
Oct6-13, 01:07 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Just at a guess, I'd say it's like this: position in a 2D Cartesian coordinate system is absolute and is described by two numbers. A position vector is relative to some starting point, which MIGHT be the origin but might not be.
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
Position in a plane: (x,y)
Position vector in a plane: vector from (0,0) to (x,y)
But isnt position in plane also calculated relative to origin?

Quote Quote by jbunniii View Post
One might say that a position vector ##[x\,\,y]## is the equivalence class of pairs of points ##(a,b)##, ##(c,d)## in the plane satisfying ##c-a = x## and ##d-b = y##.
Sorry. I didnt understand that at all.

Edit#2 : Thanks. Your answers were right i guess.
HallsofIvy
Oct6-13, 09:11 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,339
Personally, I don't like the very concept of a "position vector"- it only makes sense in Euclidean space. When I was young and foolish (I'm not young any more) I worried a great deal about what a "position vector" looked like on a sphere. Did it "curve" around the surface of the sphere or did it go through the sphere? The answer, of course, is that the only true vectors are tangent vectors that lie in the tangent plane to the surface at each point.
san203
Oct6-13, 11:31 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Personally, I don't like the very concept of a "position vector"- it only makes sense in Euclidean space. When I was young and foolish (I'm not young any more) I worried a great deal about what a "position vector" looked like on a sphere. Did it "curve" around the surface of the sphere or did it go through the sphere? The answer, of course, is that the only true vectors are tangent vectors that lie in the tangent plane to the surface at each point.
This really went over my head, but when i do learn things like this i'll try to keep what you said in mind.
Legaldose
Oct7-13, 01:07 AM
P: 72
A position vector is a vector in Euclidean space that points from the origin to your location
EvanT
Oct10-13, 06:04 PM
P: 3
I would say that the biggest difference is that a position vector assumes you are working in a space with numbers (like a Vector Space) and a position may not.

If you are studying Euclidean Geometry, based on the Elements, there are no numbers (at least for many books there is no need of numbers). So a position might be described as the intersection of two lines, or the center of a circle. In this case, there is no position vector, only a position. You are working in a Euclidean space that does not have the usual Vector Space information available.

Register to reply