Penetration of X Rays in body tissue

In summary, the conversation discusses the way Radiotherapy works and the depth at which the maximum dose is received in tissue for different photon energies. It is explained that the rate of energy loss for photons is proportional to 1/E, resulting in most of their energy being deposited near the end of their track. This is known as the Bragg Peak phenomenon and is used to reduce tissue damage by using multiple beams of ionization at different depths. The speaker also recognizes their past ignorance of this concept due to not accounting for the non-linear nature of the system.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been looking for information about the way Radiotherapy works and, needless to say, there is much more involved than just local frying of tissue. I have been told and also read, that the dose received in tissue is not necessarily maximum at the surface. For instance, the dose seems to be a maximum at 0.4cm for 2MV photons and 2.3cm for 10MV photons. I cannot think why, if the absorption is exponential with depth (or so I would expect) the maximum effect (energy from the beam) is not right at the surface. 2.3cms is very deep under the surface. What happens between the surface and that depth to make the dose less?

I have looked in all the places on the web that I can think of but, as usual, what's available is either the chatty home-medecine advice or the latest papers which all assume the reader knows this sort of basic thing. Any ideas? I think this is probably the right forum as it's basically Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the photon energies used, the rate of energy loss dE/dx is approximately proportional to 1/E. This means they deposit most of their energy near the end of their track. It is not an exponential attenuation like scattering where a single scattering event causes a photon to lose all of its energy and to be lost from the beam. There is continuous energy loss along the track due to the interaction of the photons with the electrons in the matter, and this energy loss increases as the photon loses energy, so most of the energy gets deposited at the end of the track.

Great answer. Makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot.

phyzguy said:
For the photon energies used, the rate of energy loss dE/dx is approximately proportional to 1/E. This means they deposit most of their energy near the end of their track. It is not an exponential attenuation like scattering where a single scattering event causes a photon to lose all of its energy and to be lost from the beam. There is continuous energy loss along the track due to the interaction of the photons with the electrons in the matter, and this energy loss increases as the photon loses energy, so most of the energy gets deposited at the end of the track.

Does that work for photons?
They ionize along their path and the buildup of ionization peaks at a certain depth and then falls exponentially. For that reason, several beams of ionization beams are to used to obtain a maximum of ionization at a certain depth, and lessen tissue damage ouside the peak.

256bits said:

Ah yes, the Bragg Peak! It's only taken 110 years since it's invention for me to have taken it on board! We are not dealing with a linear system here and, as a Radio Engineer, I didn't take that into account.

1. How do X-rays penetrate through the body tissue?

X-rays have a high energy level, which allows them to pass through the body tissue. They are able to penetrate through the body tissue due to their ability to interact with the atoms in the tissue and pass through them without being absorbed.

2. What factors affect the penetration of X-rays in body tissue?

The penetration of X-rays in body tissue is affected by several factors such as the energy level of the X-rays, the density and thickness of the tissue, and the atomic number of the tissue. Higher energy X-rays and lower density and thickness of tissue allow for greater penetration.

3. How deep can X-rays penetrate in the body?

The depth to which X-rays can penetrate in the body depends on the energy level of the X-rays and the type of tissue they are passing through. Generally, X-rays can penetrate up to a few centimeters in soft tissue, but denser tissues such as bone can greatly reduce their penetration depth.

4. Is there a limit to how deep X-rays can penetrate in the body?

Yes, there is a limit to how deep X-rays can penetrate in the body. This limit is determined by the energy level of the X-rays and the amount of tissue they have to pass through. X-rays with higher energy levels have a greater ability to penetrate deeper into the body.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with X-ray penetration in the body?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with X-ray penetration in the body. X-rays have the potential to damage cells and DNA, which can lead to health issues such as cancer. However, the risks are generally very low and the benefits of X-rays for medical imaging and diagnosis outweigh the potential risks.