Solving the Branch Cut Question on f(z) = arccot(z)

In summary, the question asks for the domain on which the function f(z) = arccot(z) is single valued and analytic. The approach is to first look at the function cot(z) and its range, which is all real numbers. From this, it can be concluded that the domain of arccot(z) is also all real numbers. The function can then be written in terms of logarithms and a quadratic equation can be solved to find the two possible solutions for the branch cuts of the function. Finally, to make the function single valued, it is necessary to restrict the domain to one of the three possible branch cuts.
FelixHelix
Just covered branch cuts in my undergraduate course but stuck on one of the questions...

Find the domain on which f(z) = arccot(z) is single valued and analytic.

Now, we've looked at ln(z) in class and I understand the principal of limiting the domain but I'm not having much success and see no examples anywhere on the internet.

Some pointers would be great or an explanation of how to tackle this kind of function.

How I thought I may start is:

Let w = cot(z) and in exponential form [tex]i* \frac{\exp{(iz)}+\exp{(-iz)}}{\exp{(iz)}-\exp{(-iz)}} [/tex]

Then let y = exp(iz) so you get:

[tex]w = i* \frac{y+y^-1}{y-y^-1} [/tex]

I though i might be able to solve the last equation but I'm not sure now.

anyway, if you could point me in the right direction I'd be most thankful...

Felix

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to just graph this function? If you're talking about real-valued f(z) then you could see the domain of z just from the graph.

If you begin dissecting trigonometric functions into their exponential definitions from the Euler equation, then you can run into problems of having imaginary domains.

For example take f(x) = sin(x).
The domain is all real numbers and the range is [-1,1] right?
But what if i set sin(x) = 2? Is there a solution to this? In fact there is but the answer for x is imaginary. So why don't we say that the domain is larger than the real numbers for sin(x) and the range is larger than -1 to 1? Well because we're making some assumptions here and probably in your homework problem too...we have to restrict ourselves to real domains and ranges. So don't bother trying to solve that function with y and y^-1 because it's not the correct direction here.

So for your arccot(z) function you are on the right track when you first look at cot(z). The range of cot(z) would have to be the domain of arccot(z) right? So from the graph of cot(z) you can see this goes from -inf to +inf periodically. You then have to conclude that the domain of arccot is all real numbers.

Hope that helps

Hi - Thanks for the post. I believe I am to consider the complex domain as well. My answersheet gives the cut to be (-i,i) but I don't see how you get there or limit it to be multivalued... All examples we've covered have solved for y after some re-expressing hence why I thought that might be the right approach.

Any ideas?

You should be able to write arccot in terms of logarithms by solving the following equation for z as a function of y:
[tex]
\cot z = y = i \frac{e^{i z} + e^{-i z}}{e^{i z} - e^{-i z}}
[/tex]

Then you have already (I Hope!) worked with branch cuts of log.

jason

jasonRF said:
You should be able to write arccot in terms of logarithms by solving the following equation for z as a function of y:
[tex]
\cot z = y = i \frac{e^{i z} + e^{-i z}}{e^{i z} - e^{-i z}}
[/tex]

Then you have already (I Hope!) worked with branch cuts of log.

jason

OK... So:

Let w = cot(z) and in exponential form [tex]i* \frac{\exp{(iz)}+\exp{(-iz)}}{\exp{(iz)}-\exp{(-iz)}} [/tex]

Then let y = exp(iz) so you get:

[tex] y = i* \frac{w+w^{-1}}{w-w^{-1}} [/tex]

When I rearrange the equation for y I then solve a quadratic in w so:

So the two answers to w are [tex] \pm \frac{(i+y)^ \frac{1}{2}} {(i-y)^ \frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

and therefore using the positive solution:

arccot(z) = [tex] \frac{1}{2} \ln{(i+z)} - \frac{1}{2} \ln{(i-z)} [/tex]

This identifies that the function is non analytic at i and -i.Is this correct?

Next, do I have to show that the branch cut could be either (-infinity, -i), (-i,i), (i, infinity) and check them some how?

Also, I can't seem to calculate how to make it single valued?

1. What is the branch cut for the function f(z) = arccot(z)?

The branch cut for the function f(z) = arccot(z) is the line segment along the negative real axis starting from the point (-∞,0) to the point (0,0).

2. Why is it necessary to define a branch cut for this function?

The function f(z) = arccot(z) is multivalued and has an infinite number of branches. To make the function well-defined and single-valued, a branch cut is necessary to restrict the values of the function in a specific region.

3. What is the purpose of solving the branch cut question for this function?

Solving the branch cut question for the function f(z) = arccot(z) allows for a consistent and unambiguous definition of the function, making it easier to analyze and use in mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How is the branch cut determined for this function?

The branch cut for the function f(z) = arccot(z) is determined by analyzing the behavior of the function on different paths in the complex plane. The branch cut is chosen to ensure that the function is continuous and single-valued in a chosen region.

5. Can the branch cut for this function be changed?

Yes, the branch cut for the function f(z) = arccot(z) can be changed, but it must be done carefully to maintain the properties of the function. A different choice of branch cut may result in a different behavior of the function, such as discontinuities or a different range of values.